PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Chunkers

Scott P
11-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I have to admit that I agree 100% with this article in Outside Magazine. It's quite interesting.

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200911/cash-for-good-health.html

EVEN IF YOU TRIED, as I did, to avoid this year's health-care debate, it was impossible to ignore some of its startling statistics. Take, for instance, the annual medical costs linked to obesity, as reported in July by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: $147 billion, more than 7 percent of the nation's health-care tab of more than $2 trillion.

About a month after the CDC report, the processed-food industry, with support from the American Heart and Diabetes associations, unveiled its Smart Choices Program, which approves special labels for healthy foods. Among the products stamped better choice were Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes, and dozens of other candy-for-breakfast items.

The Little Idea: Call It What You Will

Once you've settled on differential pricing, the rest is just semantics: Fat tax, or skinny rebate? The price for premiums for heavier Americans is $100. The cost for fitter Americans: $80.

When I heard about this, I literally slapped my forehead. The CDC has indicated that as much as 75 percent of U.S. health-care spending goes to treating chronic maladies, many of which are indirectly attributed to our slothful lifestyles and dismal diets. I understand why so much of the health-care debate is focused on dealing with our symptoms

Jaxx
11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
awesome article. I have to admit that I was part of the corn syrup loving group until recently. No more soda in our house helped alot. I have lost about 35 lbs since January. I attribute most of that to healthier eating and when I do eat sweets I don't gorge, usually, and no snacking after 7pm. I have also become more active and that also helps alot.