PDA

View Full Version : help to imbed photo slideshows into webpage

jman
10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
First, I would post this in the Tech Section, BUT i'm not a bigshot, so hopefully this forum will work.

Anywho, I'm messing with my website and trying to embed photo slideshows into it. The pics are uploaded to picasa and I know how to embed it, but I was hoping to get more options within in.

For example, Picasas slideshow just shows the picture, the previous, and next buttons, and enabling of captions. Is there a way to change the speed of the slideshow, or add music to it, and have other customizable options? Or do I need to switch to flickr (although i'm not a big fan) or something else?

for an example of what I want or least similiar: www.jonjasper.com has a good idea.

Any ideas?

Sombeech
10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
music won't be an option with picasa, unless you embed a totally separate audio player on the same page, set to play automatically as the page opens.

...I advise against this. People panic when they hear music coming out of nowhere when they open a page, and they close it.

You should definitely look into www.animoto.com

They'll give you an excellent professional looking slideshow with music that you can embed.

jman
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
wow, quick reply! thanks

Your right about the music, I'm recalling times when I go to pages with music, I usually turn it WAAAYY down or mute it. But, there are times where it might be fun.

Animoto looks interesting, i'll have to give it test.

I forgot to add one thing to my list, is it possible within the slideshow so the viewer can click on the picture and it will present an option to download it or something similar?

Sombeech
10-23-2009, 04:19 PM
With the music, it's still good to have, but just make sure it's when the viewer "clicks play" or something. You have to treat every viewer as if they're first time internet users and they have no idea what they've just done. :haha: This way, they'll know that when they hear the music, they know it's because they hit play.

On the download thing, you might be able to use the option of "html links" and this will give an option to "view all" where it just takes you to the page - this is in picasaweb of course.

jman
10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I think the problem is I'm looking for something way too advanced for a webpage that is pretty simple in design.

Thanks Justin, I'll give that a shot and see how it works.

BTW - i'll like your point about treating people as if 1st time on the internet, that's good to keep in mind.

Sombeech
10-23-2009, 06:31 PM
You know what, I think photobucket has some options for music in their slideshows.