PDA

View Full Version : Woman Loses Marathon Title For Wearing iPod During Race

accadacca
10-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Performance-Enhancing iPod :lol8:

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20091009/126244.jpg

sportingnews.com - In what may be the first enforcement of a controversial ban on music devices by elite runners in long distance races in the U.S., a 27-year-old woman was disqualified from the top spot in the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee because race officials spotted her using an iPod during a later portion of the race.

Jennifer Goebel assumed the top female finish in the race after a faster runner, Cassie Peller, was disqualified for receiving a water bottle from a friend outside an official water station. Now Goebel's time of 3:02:50 has been nullified as well, thanks to a contentious 2007 rule put into place banning headphones or portable music devices by U.S. Track and Field, the governing body for running events.

She's obviously upset about the ruling, pointing out that she only used it between miles 19 and 21. Race officials only decided to take action against Goebel when put under pressure by posters from an online forum who complained that Peller was being unfairly targeted. The forum users found an image of Goebel with the iPod that Goebel had herself shared online.

Even though USTAF claims the rule was put in place for worries about a competitive edge as well as safety concerns about runners not being able to hear race announcements, last year the organization relaxed the rule, allowing race directors to decide whether or not they would enforce it.

Iceaxe
10-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Goebel's time of 3:02:50 has been nullified as well, thanks to a contentious 2007 rule put into place banning headphones or portable music devices by U.S. Track and Field, the governing body for running events.

Rules are rules.... I have no problem with seemingly crazy rules being enforced so long as they are in the rule book before the race. These crazy rules always have a logical reason.

[i][b]

JP
10-19-2009, 09:38 PM
iPods make you run faster :haha:

Sombeech
10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
iDisqualified

DOSS
10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I think a big part of the Ipod issue is that people will have them up so loud that they cannot hear when someone is coming up to pass them and they don't move over to a call of on your left causing people to get stuck behind them screaming MOVE OVER.. my wife has complained about this many times when she has been stuck behind someone during a race.. Kinda like most runners hate the "team in training" groups that think they have to run side by side and don't let people pass..

Sombeech
10-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I think a big part of the Ipod issue is that people will have them up so loud that they cannot hear when someone is coming up to pass them and they don't move over to a call of on your left causing people to get stuck behind them screaming MOVE OVER.. my wife has complained about this many times when she has been stuck behind someone during a race.. Kinda like most runners hate the "team in training" groups that think they have to run side by side and don't let people pass..

Good point. That's probably more like it.
The chick obviously knew it was against the rules, that's why she waited between miles 19-21 to wear it. Looks like it wasn't her only offense either.