PDA

View Full Version : White Rim conditions? On a 1150GS?

ajroadtrips
10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I've been itching to do the White Rim for years, and am thinking of doing it this fall.

Anyone been on it this year? Is it fairly reasonable to do on an 1150GS? Sadly I haven't had my GS off road much, and am eager to get it out down there.

The mountain bikers I've talked to give varying reports from "easy" to "some very deep sand sections", which could be tricky on the 1150. (Especially solo, it's a big bike to have to drag out of the sand myself...)

Any experiences?
Ryan

Mojave Silence
01-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I've done the White Rim 3 times in a 4x4 truck, I'm itching to get my Honda XR 650 dualsport out there. I don't think you would have any problems on the GS. The route is mostly gravel and hard packed "dirt", When do you want to do it??

denaliguide
01-07-2010, 01:27 AM
I've done the White Rim 3 times in a 4x4 truck, I'm itching to get my Honda XR 650 dualsport out there. I don't think you would have any problems on the GS. The route is mostly gravel and hard packed "dirt", When do you want to do it??

agreed. have fun.

ajroadtrips
01-07-2010, 07:14 AM

How about late Feb/early March when temps are good, but before the crowds? Sounds fun. I didn't make it down there last fall, so would be love to do it this spring.

nelsonccc
01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
We should put together a Bogley Dual Sport trip to Moab. I've been itching to do the White Rim. I've talked extensively with people who have done it and I've hiked a great deal of it in sections. Personally I don't think you would have any issue with your bike. I've heard the sand section comes and go's but is never very bad.

Going to be riding a DR650! Let's do this.

moab mark
01-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I'll tag along, I have done it 5 or 6 times in a jeep. Have been wanting to do it on a bike for years. Your bike has to road legal. The only place that you would have any trouble with a bigger bike is at Murphy's hogback. There are a few ledges there but you could get up. There is very little sand that would be a problem on a bike, it's the pedal bikes that it causes grief.
If I do not tag along go counter clockwise, the majority of the traffic goes clockwise, easier to run into the bike crowd and slower vehicles head on. Probably take a little over a half a day. You can do it in 10-12 hours in a jeep.
The park has a speed limit of ah 20 on the rim. But we haven't seen many rangers radaring :roflol:

There are some other great loops in moab but you want a little more agile legal bike.
SteelBender-Behind the Rocks-down Pritchett.
Poison Spider-Golden Spike-Gemini Bridges-Long Canyon
Spring Canyon to White wash dunes to lunch at Rays in Green River and then back.
I'd be willing to do any of these also.

There are also several others.

Mark

accadacca
01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Cool. Sounds fun to me. I still need to ride with some of you guys. It has dried out here in SLC and I am back on my 1150GS this week. It was near single digits this AM. :cold: Had the heaters turned up nearly all the way...

It'll be nice in a few weeks when it is light again on the way home. :2thumbs:

ajroadtrips
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Cool. Sounds fun to me. I still need to ride with some of you guys. It has dried out here in SLC and I am back on my 1150GS this week. It was near single digits this AM. :cold: Had the heaters turned up nearly all the way...

Cool, a fellow 1150gs-er. We'll have to get out sometime accadacca. I just got my 1150 a year ago after having a 650gs. Man I love the 1150! Smooth and fluid, a HUGE improvement over the 650.

How does early March sound to everyone?

Scott P
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
If you are going late-February or early March, it is worth mentioning that in recent years the park service has been getting more picky and keeps the Shafer Trail closed until mid March or so. It's no problem as you can still come out/enter Long Canyon (which does have a few ledges) or Potash, but keep in mind it takes a little longer.

moab mark
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Cool, a fellow 1150gs-er. We'll have to get out sometime accadacca. I just got my 1150 a year ago after having a 650gs. Man I love the 1150! Smooth and fluid, a HUGE improvement over the 650.

How does early March sound to everyone?

Feb or march works fine for me.
Mark

nelsonccc
01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Early March works a bit better for me. Like the 5th or 12th. But I definately say we plan a bogley moab trip. The white rim would be a blast. I'm game to come thursday night, ride a few trails on friday, then doing the white rim on saturday.

ajroadtrips
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Either the 5th or 12th of March would work for me as well. I don't know if I could swing a Friday off or not at this point, but would try. The 12th is likely to be a bit warmer, and longer days... So I guess that's my vote.

I called the ranger. They close the Shaffer trail anytime it is deemed "impassable" by weather. (Snow, mud, or rockfall). If it's dry and not covered in rockfall, it should be open.

Mojave Silence
01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
My vote is for having a "support vehicle" and get one of the campsites on the white rim trail (White crack?) Ride half of it, spend the night at the campsite and throw back some beers, finish the other 1/2 the following day.

nelsonccc
01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
My vote is for having a "support vehicle" and get one of the campsites on the white rim trail (White crack?) Ride half of it, spend the night at the campsite and throw back some beers, finish the other 1/2 the following day.

Probably not worth it. From what I understand most people can ride the entire trail in 6-8 hours with stops all over the place.

Are we still on to do this?

moab mark
01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm game but weekends in March are tough for me. SOCCOR :frustrated: It would be a ton easier for me if we could hit a couple of week days. But I could probably swing a weekend.

ajroadtrips
02-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm still planning on it, but could only swing a weekend. I would definitely like to stop at all the sights along the way....

-Ryan

moab mark
02-02-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm still planning on it, but could only swing a weekend. I would definitely like to stop at all the sights along the way....

-Ryan

I have never taken the spur up to Zeus & Moses?( I think thats what the two big rocks up there are called) I would like to do that.
The spur down to the river is cool we would want to do that also.

ajroadtrips
02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I would really like to take a look at Moses. It's been on my list to climb for a long time....

ajroadtrips
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM
How does March 26th work for anyone interested? Early March is here, and still pretty snowy, but hopefully it will be dry by the end of the month. The 26th is right before the full moon, which is always great for camping.

I'll likely go down the morning of the 25th or evening of the 24th. Cristina is driving down that Saturday so we can climb or canyoneer Sunday if anyone is interested in joining us for that.

-Ryan

moab mark
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
How does March 26th work for anyone interested? Early March is here, and still pretty snowy, but hopefully it will be dry by the end of the month. The 26th is right before the full moon, which is always great for camping.

I'll likely go down the morning of the 25th or evening of the 24th. Cristina is driving down that Saturday so we can climb or canyoneer Sunday if anyone is interested in joining us for that.

-Ryan

You may want to take into consideration the 26th is the first weekend of the jeep safari. It will be a zoo in and around town.

ajroadtrips
02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah, unfortunately it's also spring break for the U and several other Universities.

It seems to be my best shot for getting out there this spring though...

-Ryan

moab mark
02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, unfortunately it's also spring break for the U and several other Universities.

It seems to be my best shot for getting out there this spring though...

-Ryan

I wish I could tag along but will be in Florida for spring break.

Mark