PDA

View Full Version : White Roost Canyoneering Rescue

Iceaxe
09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Injured hiker rescued in Wayne Co.
September 20th, 2009 @ 7:03pm
WAYNE COUNTY -- Rescue crews helped an injured hiker to safety Sunday.

According to the Wayne County Sherriff's Office, four hikers were repelling in White Roost Canyon around 5:30 Saturday night when one of them fell about 15 feet . He suffered a back injury, and another hiker called for help.

Bad weather, rough terrain and dark conditions kept search and rescue teams from reaching the hiker until Sunday morning. Crews were able to rappel to the scene and get him stabilized.

A medical helicopter then lifted the hiker from the canyon floor and transported him to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray.

Some video is also here:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7993158

CarpeyBiggs
09-21-2009, 10:53 AM
hope the guy is alright... hope that crypto recovers too. :popcorn:

rockgremlin
09-21-2009, 06:12 PM
...four hikers were repelling...

Ugh...why is this such a difficult concept for people to grasp?

RE-pelling is for mosquitoes.

RA-pelling is with ropes.

:roll:

I wonder what happened? :ne_nau:

Canyonbug
09-29-2009, 09:34 AM
...four hikers were repelling...

Ugh...why is this such a difficult concept for people to grasp?

Glad you made the point because I was going to say those must have been some huge insects that they were trying to repel to cause those kinds of injuries.

french_de
09-29-2009, 11:21 AM
We were in the White Roost Friday Sept 25 . We found a brand new bright orange 12 mil static rope still attached at the second to the last rappel in the main fork. It had been cut off about 20 feet below the lip of the pothole edge. I wonder if there is a story behind this. The way the rope was rigged was unusual. It was tied to the anchor above with a figure eight on the webbing and not the quick link- not set up to be pulled from below. We removed the rope.

Reedus
09-29-2009, 01:20 PM
12 mil? WTF? :ne_nau:

AJ
10-02-2009, 07:41 AM
12 mil? WTF? :ne_nau:

Reedus, 12 mil is used by rescue teams. (A cave rescue group I was on used 11mm Bluewater line, and two mountain rescue groups have used 12mm line. If the team does vertical rescues; there can be as much as 2 rescuers, 1 patient and 1 litter on the line...)

I'm guessing it was left over from the rescue op...