PDA

View Full Version : TR - Community ER

Felicia
09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
We had plans to do Mystery Canyon on Sunday 9/13/09, but decided to stay home because we had better plans for Zion this weekend 9/18-21/09 when the kids could join us and do Mystery.

Friday night was spent having supper at the beach and enjoying a beautiful sunset. We walked on the beach and played in the surf - yes I walked in the sand - yes, I still hate sand. :roflol: Saturday I ran errands, played in the pool and partied at an Eddie Money concert. Turned in at 3:15am. Sunday morning was breakfast at the local dive, swam in the pool all day until 5:30pm. Took a shower and sat down for supper at 6:15pm.

Up to this point in the weekend I had been feeling fine. Ten minutes into supper I got a cramp, left the supper table to lay down without finishing my meal. Ten minutes later John was trying to get me in the car. I was doubled over and the pain was horrible. I could not lift my right leg to get in the car. We went to nearest hospital. The pain was excruciating!

Morphine became my best friend until it no longer worked. They gave me something better than morphine, but I can't remember the name. I was in the ER all Sunday night and finally on Monday afternoon I had surgery.

I had appendicitis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appendicitis

Here's the scary part to me: What would have happened if I was in the backcountry when this happened? What if I was in Mystery?

I had no symptoms. I had no fever. I had no nausea or vomiting. :ne_nau:

I'm home now; bummed about canceling Zion for this weekend, but glad I was not in the backcountry when this happened.

:rockon:

Deeps
09-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Look at it this way, now it's one LESS thing you have to worry about in the back country. :)

Sombeech
09-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I can honestly say this is the worst Trip Report I've ever read. :haha:

glad you're ok

Felicia
09-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Look at it this way, now it's one LESS thing you have to worry about in the back country. :)

But how many people give it a thought to begin with? Your right, I will never be caught in the backcountry with appendicitis. :2thumbs:

I can honestly say this is the worst Trip Report I've ever read. :haha:

glad you're ok

OH -- THAT HURT!!!

...when I laughed! :roflol:

Thanks guys!

KapitanSparrow
09-17-2009, 08:28 PM

But how many people give it a thought to begin with?

Honestly, that has always been one of my major fears throughout my life - getting appendicitis at some least expected moment in my life. I've been through a number of surgeries in my life and I really wished that they would have removed my healthy appendicitis as a bonus, as a precaution. I mean come on! It's even less useful than the extra skin on a penis. And that gets cut off very often! :haha:

savanna3313
09-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Here's the scary part to me: What would have happened if I was in the backcountry when this happened? What if I was in Mystery?

Wow.....good thing you were at home and close to a hospital. It was several years back, but a friend was on a long flight when his appendix ruptured. He nearly died from septic poisoning before they could land and get him to a hospital.

Hope you're feeling better soon! :2thumbs:

Wasatch Rebel
09-18-2009, 05:05 AM

Yikes! Well, at least you weren't. Look at it that way. I'm glad you're doing okay.

Felicia
09-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Jim!

Kapitan, if I had know that I could have taken the thing out during a past surgery, I would have told them to take that sucker out in a heart beat! My friend was offered the opportunity, and now she regrets her decision not to have the appendix removed during a c-section.

Savanna, I've heard a lot of stories about appendicitis over the last couple of days. All of the stories have been scary - I can't imagine being trapped on an airplane in that much pain. I keep have pain medication induced nightmares about being stuck out in a canyon or on a trail at the bottom of Grand Canyon.

I'm feeling better and looking forward to getting back outside.