PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report NEEP TR - North East Fork of East Pasture 09/13/2009

french_de
09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
On an early Sunday morning, September 12, we headed down to the Roost to do East Fork of Pasture - something easy and casual to help ease our canyoneering bones and muscles back into shape after a 6 week reprieve. As we approached the exit road, the weather went South and East and West and North. We were surrounded with some early morning heavy clouds that the forecast did not predict. Not wanting to leave empty-canyoned we chose NEEP as a quick and safer hike to get thru before the oncoming storm washed our day away.
I had first seen the canyon info mentioned in one of Tom Jones

Deeps
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Nice report! NEEP looks great for a short canyon.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/neep005.jpg

Um... Is there another approach?

ratagonia
09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
nice!

Tom :moses:

Sombeech
09-16-2009, 07:50 PM
as always, great report. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
09-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Your pictures usually make me want to visit a slot I haven't seen yet.

One of the big problems with Kelsey's book is few pictures so it's hard to tell if you will find a real gem or an ugly sandy wash.

french_de
09-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Nice report! NEEP looks great for a short canyon.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/neep005.jpg

Um... Is there another approach?

The approach to the rim is actually a stroll. The car park to the Pothole fork rim is a flat half mile walk. Pretty easy compared to others in the area. From the rim of Pothole fork there is a weakness that allows you to descend to the wash directly. The only difficulty at the top is being able to tiptoe thru the crypto.

french_de
09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Your pictures usually make me want to visit a slot I haven't seen yet.

One of the big problems with Kelsey's book is few pictures so it's hard to tell if you will find a real gem or an ugly sandy wash.

Thanks :2thumbs: Yes, that thought was in in the back of my mind - wondering if we are walking into a dud. Then comes the justification for doing it, etc.... Kelsey's beta can be sparse at times - the canyon can be an ugly sand wash or end up more than you bargained for. This canyon is ok though.

Deeps
09-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, the crypto was what I was worried about.

Thanks again for the trip report. It looks like a fun canyon.