PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sled....

IntrepidXJ
09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
...and I am lost....

I'm looking to buy a used sled. When I lived in IL, I went snowmobiling a few times with friends in Northern WI on an extra snowmobile they had (basically, I don't know what I was riding). I enjoyed riding the few times I went out and since I am very close to the Grand Mesa, I'd like to get a sled so I can go riding/exploring in the winter.

I'm not looking to do any extreme riding. Basically I'm looking for a snowmobile to use how I use my Jeep....exploring, photography and maybe even use it as a way to get out snowshoeing and backcountry skiing, etc...

Anyone got any useful information or suggestions and recomendations they can offer me to help me in my search? Any help would be appreciated! I'm working on researching this stuff myself, but thought there might be some more knowledgeable people here.

:2thumbs:

moab mark
09-28-2009, 03:03 PM
How much mulah do you want to spend?

IntrepidXJ
09-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Looking to keep it under $5k

moab mark
09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I just typed a big epistle on this and somehow deleted it. AGGGHHH.
I would look for something in the 600 to 700 cc class. I would look for something a few years old that is clean. Fuel Injection is a big plus. In that price range skidoo and polaris will have reverse, it's nice. If you step up to the 700 class you can get the track in either 155" or 163". Usually as in most things longer is better. If I had to pick I would look for a Polaris 600 or Arctic Cat 700. Both have been excellent sleds.

I do have a concern, are you planning on sledding by yourself? Sledding in the Rocky Mtns. by yourself is frowned upon. You are talking about big country where you can get stuck and stranded easily by yourself. When stuck one guy cannot budge a sled two guys can throw it around. If venturing out by yourself I would stay very close to groomed trails and make sure your sled is bullet proof mechanically.

I play most of the motor games and by far sledding is the best of them all. When it has dropped 12-18"' and the sun is out nothin better. But I have never sledded by myself and would not even consider it.

Snowmobiling can be a pricey sport. They seem to like $$$$. Belts, oil, fuel and maintenance. Plus trailer etc. But if you can justify the coin it rules.

When looking at a used sled. Lay it on its side and see if it is missing any paddles off of the track. You can spin the track by hand and check it. Check the bogey wheels in the slide rail area to see if the bearings are worn out. Check under the hood for appearance etc. You can look around by the belt and check for broken belt parts. It will give you an idea how hard it has been ridden. If it has been modified, pipes etc. means it has probably been rode hard.
I could go on and on but those are some of the basic's to look for. Try to find a 600 that was some guys wife sled that never got rode and you'll be happy.

Mark

oldno7
09-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I didn't know Mark was old enough to ride "back" when we had 6-700 cc machines. :haha:
His track recommendation is spot on, the longer the better. I'm going to start my 2 year old Grandson out on my 600cc sled. Other, older, wiser, folks prefer 800-1000cc sleds, with 800cc being the most popular.
I won't get into--I started on a 340, it's just in modern times, a sled needs a little more power, especially if you join in with another group for a ride. A 600cc naturally aspirated sled won't be tagging along. A 700cc might, if the rider is good.
I always put beginners on my bigger sled and I ride the smaller cc, shorter tracked sleds.
I'd shoot for an 800cc sled with a 162" track.
I'd also look at Arctic Cat and Ski-doo. Polaris has struggled to keep up the last few years, up until about 2003-4 they were quite good.

We'll wait until you have a little seat time before we start talking about hair dryers and NO :mrgreen:

moab mark
09-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Don't listen to Kurt he is still playing with carbs. :ne_nau: An 800 is better then a 6 or 7 but the odds of finding a clean 800 in your price range will be tougher. If you want to go carb then maybe but not a fuel injected. Kurt's point of a bigger motor is right on. There's no replacement for displacement. But it cost more $$$$.
As far as what brand to buy won't make much difference for you. What dealer is closer to get parts is a bigger consideration.
In Northern Utah you will see a lot more Polaris around due to the area being saturated by dealers. I have both a Polaris 800 Dragon and a 700 Cat. They both have the 163 track and have been very happy with both sleds. Also have a couple of Dragon 700's with the 155 track happy with those also. Had a Summit 800 did not like the feel of it. Just my 2 cents.

Find a riding buddy. You'll start out sight seeing but that will last for about a day and then you'll want to go riding.
Mark