PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Question (I Need Some Advice)

DiscGo
09-09-2009, 10:32 AM
My company hired a horrible employee about a year ago. I have honestly never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, etc.) seen a worse employee than this guy. He was fired in March (after he had ran away a couple of our customers) but the company was concerned about a law suit, so instead of explaining everything he did wrong they blamed his dismissal on downsizing. This former co-worker asked me a couple of weeks ago if he could list me as a job reference for him. I didn't want to explain how low I thought of him as an employee, and figuring that most companies don't call their references, I agreed. Then a couple of days ago the company called me for a reference about him. It went to my voicemail and they asked me to call them back. That guy called me yesterday but I was busy and unable to answer the call, so he left me a voicemail asking me to call that company.

If I call that company I would feel obligated to be honest and explain what a horrible employee and co-worker he was (I honestly have thought long and hard about it and have nothing positive to say about him as an employee), but at the same time I would feel guilty for letting someone down who apparently believes they can rely on me.

The best I can come up with is to tell him how busy I was this last week if he asks why I didn't call the company back. In retrospect I should have told him "no" to being a reference but I can't imagine anyone refusing to be a reference for anyone they liked or really respected at all, and I certainly did not want to have a lengthy conversation with a guy who was fired and did not know it.

Anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation?

DOSS
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
My company hired a horrible employee about a year ago. I have honestly never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, etc.) seen a worse employee than this guy. He was fired in March (after he had ran away a couple of our customers) but the company was concerned about a law suit, so instead of explaining everything he did wrong they blamed his dismissal on downsizing. This former co-worker asked me a couple of weeks ago if he could list me as a job reference for him. I didn't want to explain how low I thought of him as an employee, and figuring that most companies don't call their references, I agreed. Then a couple of days ago the company called me for a reference about him. It went to my voicemail and they asked me to call them back. That guy called me yesterday but I was busy and unable to answer the call, so he left me a voicemail asking me to call that company.

If I call that company I would feel obligated to be honest and explain what a horrible employee and co-worker he was (I honestly have thought long and hard about it and have nothing positive to say about him as an employee), but at the same time I would feel guilty for letting someone down who apparently believes they can rely on me.

The best I can come up with is to tell him how busy I was this last week if he asks why I didn't call the company back. In retrospect I should have told him "no" to being a reference but I can't imagine anyone refusing to be a reference for anyone they liked or really respected at all, and I certainly did not want to have a lengthy conversation with a guy who was fired and did not know it.

Anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation?

semantics but did you say you would be a positive reference or just a reference? worst case you just ignore they guy and the company and just let it drop or you can be nice to the company and tell them what you really think but they may in the end just figure you are being vindictive over something personal and blow off your negative referral anyhow. In the end I would NOT give a good referral if he sucked at his job that is just passing the buck to another person to spend the 5 minutes of explaining that he sucks :popcorn: as I have told people before this is life not rec sports and not everyone gets a trophy :)

DiscGo
09-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Did you say you would be a positive reference or just a reference?

Reference. I was very careful not to say positive :)

As I have told people before this is life not rec sports and not everyone gets a trophy :)

Agreed. That is how I feel too.

Deeps
09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
This will sound loaded with snark - and it's not meant that way.

You're out of integrity, whatever you choose to do here. To the man, the prospective company, and yourself. You may even be out of integrity with your own company.

If you can look at it that way, ask yourself how you can get back into integrity with the man.

The bigger lesson is how can you maintain your integrity in the future so you don't end up here again. It's about boundaries, and saying "no". Where else does this show up for you?

Again, no snark intended. You're in a pickle. I get that. Semantics games aren't going to change that. I've been there.

Jaxx
09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Be careful about saying anything negative about the guy. He could come back with a lawsuit that you caused him to lose the job. defamation of character, etc. Back in the day I worked at JCPenney. The managers would say "no comment" to any question that the answer wouldn't be positive if they were listed as references.

I would call the guy back and just say "I can't be a reference for you, sorry." You could add a "biotch!" at the end if you really want to kick him while he is down. If he asks you why just be honest with him. Tell him you couldn't answer the questions in an honest way that would help him get the job. Hopefully down the road you don't have to work with or under him.

Iceaxe
09-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I agree with Deeps... you messed up.... the best way out is always the truth. Time to man up and own it. And FWIW, just remember we all screw up occasionally, its how we handle our screw ups that defines us.

As for the worthless employee just tell him to remove you from his resume because you don't make a good reference. That's all you need to say. You don't owe any more explanation than that.....

And a little insider info as an employer..... when I am checking a references I might ask a bunch of questions and chat the guy up if he is talkative.... but the one question I always ask and pay careful attention to the response and semantic's is "Would you hire this person again?" If the answer is anything but an immediate "yes" I move along to the next resume.

:rockon:

DiscGo
09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Where else does this show up for you?

Everything you have said in your post is correct, but I did want to clarify that I am generally not someone who is afraid to say "no". In fact the opposite has been true in the past where I have been the one to say "no" when I didn't need to be and now I just try and tread lightly with people with which I have a hard time getting along.

I do believe that at the end of the day if you do not have your integrity, you have nothing. So I will go email this guy and tell him to remove me from his resume. Thank you guys for the advice.

cilantro13
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Either don't call them back -- you are under no obligation to call them back, even if you said yes as a reference.

If you do speak to them, may I suggest you confirm that he worked with you and leave it at that. If you give a negative opinion of any sort, you create a potential liability for your current company. (It's worse here in California, but you have to be careful -- how do you even know he isn't collecting evidence to set your current company up for a lawsuit? -- believe it or not, in the legal industry we see all kinds of crap like that going on). I have noticed that bad employees have an uncanny knack for exploiting the system -- perhaps that is why they never develop into good employees -- because there is always a way to make a buck the round about way.

So at the end of the day, you speak with them but give them absolutely no fodder to work with. You say nothing positive about him. You don't create any impressions that could be taken as positive or negative. You simple state that you worked with him and that you know him and then politely decline to answer any additional questions.

DiscGo
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I just emailed him. Here is what I wrote:
(I changed his name to protect his identity)

Zaxxon,

Sorry I have not gotten back to you. My wife just had a baby this week and I have been at the hospital most of the time with her. I received a voicemail from you about calling that company as a reference. I asked around about reference phone calls (because I myself have never been part of one) and from what I can tell they can be quite lengthy and in depth calls. I wish you the best of luck in everything you do, and want you to succeed but I don't think I'd be a very good reference for you after all and as hard as it is for me to say it, I think you'd probably be best taking me off your resume.

I'm really sorry to be telling you this now and not when you first asked me (I originally thought a reference interview would be more of "can you vouch for these dates of employment", "is he an honest person", etc.). but from what I can tell the interviews can be quite involved and I don't want to be part of an interview in which I couldn't give you the best possible reference. I hope you understand.

Good luck with everything.
Dan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize there is chance he will take this personally and I hope he does not. In the end I tried to do what was right by him, that company, & myself.

Iceaxe
09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
(I changed his name to protect his identity)

Zaxxon,

Zaxxon..... I don't want to even know what you named your new baby.....

:roflol:

cilantro13
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Anybody remember the 80's Atari video game Zaxxon? I logged many an hour flying through an industrialized canyon blasting radar dishes and putting fuel in my tank by blasting fuel depots.

They don't make them like that any more.

stefan
09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
but the company was concerned about a law suit, so instead of explaining everything he did wrong they blamed his dismissal on downsizing.

out of curiosity, did the company's decision to downplay the reason for the firing at all play a role in how you interacted with this x-employee in determining whether you'd serve as a reference?

This former co-worker asked me a couple of weeks ago if he could list me as a job reference for him. I didn't want to explain how low I thought of him as an employee,

i would say you should feel confident telling him that you are unable to serve as a reference. you should also feel that you don't need to disclose the reasons for not serving as a reference unless you want to. you are not obligated to give him an answer if you turn him down, regardless of how he responds to you. it's a difficult situation, but he's putting you in it.

and figuring that most companies don't call their references, I agreed.

i agree whole-heartedly with the others ... never say you can serve as a reference unless you feel you can.

and your decision to tell him that you don't feel it's appropriate to serve as a reference for him is candid and reasonable.

DiscGo
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Did the company's decision to downplay the reason for the firing at all play a role in how you interacted with this x-employee in determining whether you'd serve as a reference?

Not at all. I actually second guessed working at my company which would allow him to remain employed there for so long because he was so horrible. He originally asked me if he could put me down as a reference and yes I know there is an implication of "will you be a good reference" but I was trying to slide through a loop hole and just assume I wouldn't be called.

I emailed him (the above email) and he took it really well.

In the end this isn't the biggest thing, but I do feel like integrity is important and I did slide into a position in which I felt very uncomfortable with this situation. I have done what I can to rectify the situation and will tred more carefully going forward.

Thanks again guys.

DiscGo
09-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Zaxxon..... I don't want to even know what you named your new baby.....

:roflol:

:haha: My wife and I still have not agreed on a name, so my daughter has been alive for close to 36 hours and still has no name.

Zaxxon was a sweet video game :)

JP
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Honesty from the start. This way you wouldn't be in this pickle. People fear being honest because it may hurt, but being honest is the only way. Leaving gray areas leaves too many doors open. Black, white and honesty for me works best.

Deeps
09-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Way to go, sounds like you handled it perfectly.

...and now I just try and tread lightly with people with which I have a hard time getting along..

That's the piece for you to look at when this kind of thing comes up again. Looking forward to meeting you in person eventually.

mtthwlw
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Honesty from the start. This way you wouldn't be in this pickle. People fear being honest because it may hurt, but being honest is the only way. Leaving gray areas leaves too many doors open. Black, white and honesty for me works best.

I agree, but-- at the same time-- I think all of us have agreed to things like this in the moment and have come to regret the decision later. DiscGo, you did well here. You could have avoided and stalled-- instead you took care of it quickly and honestly.

I think this is the best that all of us can hope to do. Avoid problems with honesty, and fix problems that come up the same way.

The thing I'm really wondering is-- what if he lurks in the Bogley Forum and sees the email you sent? He'd obviously recognize your face... and the letter too. But, naw... It'll never happen. Those of us who read and post here are all 100% honest and super-employees. No deadbeats allowed, right?

R
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Couple of thoughts on this matter:

1. I sometimes fear that I am that guy and am too big an idiot to know it. (Other times I think I am like Special Olympians when people tell me what a great job I've done.)

2. Was this guy a bad employee because he was an idiot, or because he was an ass? I think it matters. If he's a genuinely well-meaning idiot, there's wiggle room. If he's a jackass who takes three-hour lunches on the clock and hits on the bosses teenage daughter, he has a bad reference coming.

3. Please pat me on the head and reassure me I am not this guy.

BruteForce
09-09-2009, 07:53 PM
This is an easy one, with an easy out:

Technically, if you were to ask your HR department, they would indicate that you can only confirm dates of employment and basic responsibilities. They would tell you to not provide specific character or personality references.

With that in mind, you could easily provide that reference information. If that still wasn't comfortable, candor is your next option. Be candid with him (as your email suggested) and you're done.

DiscGo
09-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Couple of thoughts on this matter:

1. I sometimes fear that I am that guy and am too big an idiot to know it. (Other times I think I am like Special Olympians when people tell me what a great job I've done.)

I know that feeling. I used to work in a group home and sometimes I felt like I belonged to be in the program instead of working there.

2. Was this guy a bad employee because he was an idiot, or because he was an ass?

He was an idiot and had a horrible work ethic. He is well meaning and good hearted... but an idiot and honestly the worst employee I have ever witnessed at any company at which I have worked. Just awful!

3. Please pat me on the head and reassure me I am not this guy. :haha: Richard- You are the man. You have nothing to worry about. Thanks for your willingness to constantly share your vast wisdom.

asdf
09-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey Dan, remind me to remove you as a reference from my resume.

devo_stevo
09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Hey Dan, remind me to remove you as a reference from my resume.
What? You didn't get the email that he sent you? I got one. :ne_nau:

Rev. Coyote
09-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Dan;

This guy needs to hear an honest assessment. Do not serve as a reference, and whatever you tell him, do so verbally. Nothing in writing.

If you care about this guy, tell him what you really think. Otherwise he has no chance of evolving.

If you don't care a whit about this guy, do not communicate with him. At all.

Hope this helps.

Iceaxe
09-10-2009, 10:17 AM
If you care about this guy, tell him what you really think. Otherwise he has no chance of evolving.

Isn't that what a wife is for??? :ne_nau:

If you fix this guy now you are depriving some lucky woman of a nice husband project.

:five:

Deathcricket
09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
*sigh* Probably going to sound like an ass, but here goes.

Integrity is completely awesome and being honest with people is great too. If you were going to lose sleep over this and telling a lie totally bothers you, then I commend you on your decision. But let's ananlyze some facts.

1. This guy is going to be bouncing around to a lot of companies if he sucks as bad as you say he does.
2. just because he absolutely sucked at your job doesn't mean he hasn't matured and gotten a fire under him after his last job.
3. If you did give him a positive reference he will be your ally for life.
4. You lose absolutely nothing by giving him a positive reference (besides your high values) and you gain everything.
5. If you ever need a job fast, who is going to be the guy you'd go to? This guy who has bounced from job to job for the last 3 years or some good worker who found a place and sticks there. It's a trick question, when you need a job you go to everyone you know, even people you don't care for. If you helped him in his time of need, unless he is absolute filth he will do the same for you.
6. You never pass up an opportunity for someone to owe you a favor in business. Even people you don't care for.

I would suggest it's your pride interfereing with your decision. Your self esteem is saying " you can't say that, that guy was an idiot". Don't have pride man, this is a big game, there are winners and losers. You won, you're a good worker, valuable to the company, and take pride in your work. Be happy with that. He's a loser and got fired (masked as a layoff). But don't let your pride get in the way and say "You're too cool to vouch for that guy". Be friends with everyone, even the unfriendable. There is a chance it will pay off later and you lose absolutely nothing at all.

However, if he was trying to get a job at your place and you did that then you absolutely did the right thing. Him performing bad is going to look bad on you. But him going to work somewhere else? Who cares, and now he owes you.

But I don't place that integrity above my other needs like getting a better job, getting a new job quick after a layoff, or even having a bigger network of social contacts. I'm not saying I would have been friends with the guy, but I would not have hesitated to give him a posityive reference. I think everyone needs to have criteria based for such decisions and make logical ones based off that. I can also see being LDS and honesty being so important how you would make a decision like you did. Just make sure you're doing it for your values and not because of pride or some other silly emotional response. You just lost a possible ally for nothing but 5 mins of your time and general questions.

In the interest of keeping this short, I'll be super brief. I knew a guy like this, and he approached me about a year after I got him a job by giving a positive reference. He said "hey man they are hiring at my place, I get a $2500 bonus if I can get you in". I went to interview at the company and was hired. Then I outperformed him as his peer. They ended up letting him go a year later (in the form of layoff) cause "times were tough" back in 1999. Imagine my surprise when 2 months later they let me do his job and gave me a substantial increase in salary and huge bonus. LOL. If I had wrote the guy off and refused to help him, I would have never gotten ahead. He was very difficult to be around, annoying to the max. Decent worker but really bad people skills. But I maintened a profession relationship with him and it paid off really well.

Just my 2 cents. I hate arguing with you man. Normally we see eye to eye on everything so it hurt to tell you this. :)

DiscGo
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Just make sure you're doing it for your values and not because of pride or some other silly emotional response.

I have plenty of friends who are "losers" in the eyes of others that I know to be awesome and would recommend. I really do not have that many "real" friends and am very loyal to those I consider my friends. It isn't that I am too good for him or anyone else for that matter. It is that I would feel worse about myself for giving him a good recommendation and I would feel equally bad about lying to him. My Dad has critized me several times for not being "smarter" at work by staying out of work politics or whatever, but in the end I am sort of an idealist and would rather lose my job, or a reference than lose integrity or not follow what I believe to be right. http://tiny.cc/Glass687

I hate arguing with you man. Normally we see eye to eye on everything so it hurt to tell you this. :)

Thank you for sharing your whole message. I know it sucks sometimes to post a message in which you can be portrayed as a jerk (I'm not saying you are a jerk or anything, just that you really went against the grain here :) ) and I appreciate you taking the time. Your opinion is always among those most important to me D.C.

I had struggled with what to do about this for a couple of days and in the end I decided that one of the great perks about Bogley is jut the honesty. It seems like almost every time that a serious question is asked on this site, you will receive a couple of comments saying that question is inappropriate for an outdoor forum :) and then you get a bunch of honest answers from a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds. This really was not the first time that Bogley\UUtah helped me tune my moral compass and as always I am grateful for the feedback. Thank you everybody.

Cirrus2000
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
*sigh* Probably going to sound like an ass, but here goes.
Man, we don't always (often?) see eye to eye, but I like you, DC, I do. But this? Dayum, this seems cold, selfish, unethical and generally ugly. But I guess that's the world today.

Really, though?

Iceaxe
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Hmmmmm.... interesting perspective DC.....

So it's more of a question of who do you owe your allegiance to? a friend? a company? neither? both?

I have to say.... I'm probably giving a positive recommend to a good friend who is a poor employee if nameless big business who I owe nothing to comes calling.... probably have to make such a choice on a specific case by case bases.

Anyhoo..... interesting points to ponder....

:popcorn:

Jaxx
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm putting DC on my reference list! I just applied for a job that I am not qualified for in St. George. Hopefully I get it. I didn't get a chance to put you as a reference.

cmpbiker
09-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I learned years ago in big corporate managers school that you should never give a character reference or comment on the performance of an employee either terminated or still employed. Unless you have a completely bulletproof documentation chain you can be sued if someone was dickish enough to want to do such a thing.

I did violate this on one occasion. I had a rep working for me that never performed, didn't follow any corrective actions, hardly showed up and I suspected he was watch porn all day in a remote office. When I terminated him he continued a storm of excuse and denial, then called me a racist (we are both white anglo) and proceeded to threaten me physically finally swerving at me while pulling out of the parking lot after I escorted him out of the office. The worst employee incident of 15 years on management. A month later I get a call from a HR director because I am listed as a reference. I am taken back a bit and just do the he worked here from here to there thing and she says "no no he listed you as a personal reference, what can you tell me?" I just snapped and laid out everything. I couldn't believe someone would be so dense.

uintahiker
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I need some help guys. I just got downsized at my job and am looking for a new one. I had a great reference just turn me down (after he had agreed to be my reference), so now I'm looking for someone to vouch for me.

Anybody? Anybody?

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Just messin' with you Discgo!

DiscGo
09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I need some help guys. I just got downsized at my job and am looking for a new one. I had a great reference just turn me down (after he had agreed to be my reference), so now I'm looking for someone to vouch for me.

:roflol: You guys are too funny.

Deathcricket
09-11-2009, 12:07 AM
It isn't that I am too good for him or anyone else for that matter. It is that I would feel worse about myself for giving him a good recommendation and I would feel equally bad about lying to him. My Dad has critized me several times for not being "smarter" at work by staying out of work politics or whatever, but in the end I am sort of an idealist and would rather lose my job, or a reference than lose integrity or not follow what I believe to be right. http://tiny.cc/Glass687

Yeah I wasn't really suggesting you think you're better than him. But let's face it, you are better than him in every way that is measurable. I'm just saying I think you should always make a decision based on factors that are important to you. And I think the 2 factors are having an ally and telling a lie. You tell the truth, you lose an ally, you tell a lie, you gain an ally. My moral compass is obviously much further down the road than yours. in fact it's probably in another state entirely, haha. but just make sure it's a logic decision and not an emotional one. Maybe you're not willing to vouch for him out of anger? He obviously slacked off and didnt come close to pulling his weight around the office. I personally hate people like that and don't want to see them succeed. They don't deserve it IMO. I want them to fail. But i don't let it influence my decisions or thought process. Again, I'm not saying this is how you are, I'm just saying be honest with yourself and the solution will present itself I think.

Man, we don't always (often?) see eye to eye, but I like you, DC, I do. But this? Dayum, this seems cold, selfish, unethical and generally ugly. But I guess that's the world today.

Really, though?

Hehe yeah bro. Maybe I'm a sociopath or something. But when I read this I immediately thought "what's in it for me?" and then "what are the consequences for each action?" Option A: I lose a future ally, but I feel better about myself and my integrity. Option B: I lose a possible future job offer but I feel better about my integrity. I'll take option A everyday because my main loyalty is to myself. And to me the gains outweigh the penalties. Sick eh? My line (I won't cross) seems to be I won't sabatage someone else at my current job (to get ahead) though. I know in a way I'm sabotaging this guys future employer, but really I'm being forced to either sabotage him or his employer. I have to pick one right? Either he gets screwed by not getting my help or the employer gets screwed by having a false reference. Someone is going to lose in this scenario. So what value do I place and each criteria?

So it's more of a question of who do you owe your allegiance to? a friend? a company? neither? both?

Almost, my allegiance is always to myself. I think even Discgo's allegiance is to himself. Even though he is making a completely different decision than I would. Basically in this decision he's not going to be able to live with himself for breaking his integrity. He assigns a higher value to integrity than getting "ahead" in life. So he will be more likely to have fewer allies, but they will be more fiercely loyal to him. I will have more allies, but they will be less loyal to me. For instance, in my last example. The guy telling me about the job opportunity was really more interested in getting the $2500 dollar bonus than helping me out. Where as in DiscGo's case they would be more interested in helping him out than monetary gain. I think it's all in how you relate to people and how you build relationships with them. I have a very clear separation of friends and work associates. I bet DiscGo probably has more gray in there. Where he blurs the line between work associates and friends. Some are probably both.

I'm putting DC on my reference list! I just applied for a job that I am not qualified for in St. George. Hopefully I get it. I didn't get a chance to put you as a reference.
:roflol: There is an unwritten rule we should mention before continuing: "Any guy who can carry an 80 lb backpack through Englestead automatically gets free job references from everyone in the group".

Jaxx
09-11-2009, 08:55 AM
There is an unwritten rule we should mention before continuing: "Any guy who can carry an 80 lb backpack through Englestead automatically gets free job references from everyone in the group".

I don't know about 80 lbs. It sure was heavy when the rope got wet through orderville/the narrows.
Actually keep spreading the exaggerated weight, it makes me feel better about myself :Ahnuld:

DiscGo
09-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I think even Discgo's allegiance is to himself.... Basically in this decision he's not going to be able to live with himself for breaking his integrity. He assigns a higher value to integrity than getting "ahead" in life.

Interesting. I had not thought of it that way but I can see what you are saying.

I found your whole last response very intelligent and much less heartless than your original :). One of my strengths is generally the ability to view things objectively and your last response really quite insightful.

Deeps
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Almost, my allegiance is always to myself. I think even Discgo's allegiance is to himself. Even though he is making a completely different decision than I would. Basically in this decision he's not going to be able to live with himself for breaking his integrity. He assigns a higher value to integrity than getting "ahead" in life. So he will be more likely to have fewer allies, but they will be more fiercely loyal to him. I will have more allies, but they will be less loyal to me. For instance, in my last example. The guy telling me about the job opportunity was really more interested in getting the $2500 dollar bonus than helping me out. Where as in DiscGo's case they would be more interested in helping him out than monetary gain. I think it's all in how you relate to people and how you build relationships with them. I have a very clear separation of friends and work associates. I bet DiscGo probably has more gray in there. Where he blurs the line between work associates and friends. Some are probably both.

This is some of the most fantastic stuff I've read on the internet. Ever. I rarely see that kind of clarity and self awareness in posts or people. And it's why I like you so much.

Integrity doesn't mean you always do the "right" thing. At least according to Webster's. Integrity is synonymous with honesty, but it isn't the same thing. It means you do what you say, and you're true to yourself or whatever code you live by.

DiscGo has been reading scriptures, Deathcricket has been reading Machiavelli. Or channeling him anyway.

Both of you are congruent in your words and your actions. That's integrity.

Accountability is when you're out of integrity either intentionally or unintentionally. True accountability assumes we are all equals. If I feel superior, I assume the right to take from and con others. If I feel inferior I may feel I lack the right to stand as their peer and demand integrity. Dan emailing the man brought his words and actions back into alignment.

In old school D&D, DiscGo is Lawful Good and Deathcricket is Chaotic Neutral. I'm more Chaotic Good. That should explain everything.

DiscGo
09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
In old school D&D, DiscGo is Lawful Good and Deathcricket is Chaotic Neutral. I'm more Chaotic Good. That should explain everything.

That is the best thing I have read on the internet :) :haha: That was awesome.

Seriously though this has been a very interesting discussion.

Cirrus2000
09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I know in a way I'm sabotaging this guys future employer, but really I'm being forced to either sabotage him or his employer. I have to pick one right? Either he gets screwed by not getting my help or the employer gets screwed by having a false reference. Someone is going to lose in this scenario.
(emphasis mine)

I think he gets screwed by his poor past performance, not by my action (or inaction). I guess when it comes down to it, it's not all about "what's in it for me?" :ne_nau:

Of course, that's probably why I'm still working shift work, and scrimping and saving to go on vacation a couple times a year. To Utah, naturally. :2thumbs:

I found your whole last response very intelligent and much less heartless than your original :).
Agreed. Still heartless, but much less so... :haha:

Huh?

OK, just Wikied this geek-speak, and I like it. When Malcolm Reynolds was listed as an example of Chaotic Good, I couldn't help but give a little cheer.

PunchKing
09-11-2009, 12:25 PM
This is among the most lame things I have ever read on the internets. I have no idea why I read this whole thread, probably because I am the worthless employee being discussed.

1. Why would you go to the internet for advice, especially on moral values or ethics questions?
2. The internet is for porn!
3. I have nothing useful to add to this discussion.

For your viewing pleasure http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Deathcricket
09-11-2009, 04:08 PM

You compliment me and then you throw these pearls of wisdom out there for everyone to see? That's like you congratulating me on a 1st base hit, while you walk up and hit a grand slam! This is really the heart of the matter and "hitting the nail on the head" so to speak. No one could have said it any better really. *High five!*

I think he gets screwed by his poor past performance, not by my action (or inaction). I guess when it comes down to it, it's not all about "what's in it for me?" :ne_nau:

Another instance where our line of thinking is totally different. :lol8: I don't believe in Karma or cosmic forces dealing out punishments or rewards. I hold people accountable for their actions or inactions. DiscGo clearly admitted he would vouch for this guy at a future date (thinking he would never really have to) and is now being held accountable for that. If he had told the guy to "F off" when he should have, this situation would never have arose. But he wanted to be a decent guy, and figured it would not come back so why not tell the guy a lie and spare his feelings? So the root cause of the situation is DiscGo not being honest in the first place and saying he would vouch when he clearly had no intention of doing so. The guys poor performance has no factor in this part of the equation. DiscGo simply had to decide whether to lie again or not. The consequences of this action are going to result in "someone" getting screwed. Agreed??

Again not picking on DiscGo, I make promises all the time I have intention of keeping. I tell the beggar I have no cash on me when clearly I do. We are all guilty of lies when it comes down to it. Some more than others. but like Deeps was saying, we have to be true to our own moral compass and what our value system is. The first breach was made by DiscGo and he repaired the breach by then coming clean and once again being honest (major kuddos BTW to him for doing that). But HIM making that promise in the first place was where he compromised his values and created the situation.

DiscGo: And I really have to stress I'm not picking on you man. I keep re-reading this and am probably sounding like more of an ass than I intend to, lol. I have the utmost respect for a person who can re-evaluate his stances and make a logical decision based on criteria and not emotions. That's one of the best ways to grow I think. I also have to admire you willing to bring this up in a public forum and discuss things. I actually enjoy it and find it very interesting also. Next time someone undesirable asks you for a reference, I bet you'll be quick to politely decline without hurting their feelings.
:five:

Deeps
09-11-2009, 07:14 PM
You compliment me and then you throw these pearls of wisdom out there for everyone to see? That's like you congratulating me on a 1st base hit, while you walk up and hit a grand slam!

We're all worried about sounding prickish while the thread turns into the Mutual Appreciation Society.

OK, just Wikied this geek-speak, and I like it. When Malcolm Reynolds was listed as an example of Chaotic Good, I couldn't help but give a little cheer.

Oh my gosh, separated at birth much?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/images/avatars/5146692404995164c5f930.jpg

http://troglopundit.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/mal-reynolds.jpg

RedMan
09-11-2009, 10:13 PM
When I get this request from former employees I tell them "I can only confirm your employments dates. Anything else is forbidden directly by the lawyers."

It a risk giving either good or bad references.

PunchKing
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
You are very lame pussies! Do any of the companies you work for care about your morals? Do any of the companies you work for give a rat's about whether you are employed there or not? NO!!! Screw em!

For those of you who own your companies or work for yourself, screw you too!

Cirrus2000
09-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I think somebody needs a hug...

PunchKing
09-15-2009, 08:36 AM
pstcnt+++