PDA

View Full Version : Safety Inspection Issues

UtahAdventureGuide
09-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Time for me to register my Jeep and I need safety and emissions done this year. I took to the dealer where I bought it and they said my tires are about 1" to wide and I need mud flaps. I don't mind buying mud flaps cause they are like 20 bucks but fender flairs are like $400 and look like shit. I was thinking about swapping out the tires for a few minutes while I get the safety done but that's kind of a pain. What can I do?

DOSS
09-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Not to be a :bootyshake: .. actually yes I do mean to be. if you plan on driving on the road just follow the law.. if you don't like having to buy $400 fenders then you shouldn't have put those tires on there. spend the $$ and make your junk legal. It drives me nuts that people go onto a public forum and ask how to break the law.. seriously and if you think the law sucks well do something about the law in a legal manner :)

Ok off my soap box but like I said it drives me nutz

JP
09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
You could swap out the tires, but you may attract an attentive police officer down the road. It's the law of averages and if you haven't been stopped yet for it, it may happen down the road.

Bushwhacker makes some nice stuff that doesn't look like @$$. (That much, I mean they're pretty good with the fitment)

UtahAdventureGuide
09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Not to be a :bootyshake: .. actually yes I do mean to be. if you plan on driving on the road just follow the law.. if you don't like having to buy $400 fenders then you shouldn't have put those tires on there. spend the $$ and make your junk legal. It drives me nuts that people go onto a public forum and ask how to break the law.. seriously and if you think the law sucks well do something about the law in a legal manner :)

Ok off my soap box but like I said it drives me nutz

Well I'm going to be a dick because the law is bull shit. I purchased the Jeep as it sits from a dealership who somehow managed to pass it without any problems. Every single 3/4 - 1 Ton Chevy, Ford, and Dodge are sold without mud flaps that go to the center of the axle. How is that possible? The law is a bunch of BS and it needs to be changed. I'll pay 100 tickets before I install fender flares on my Jeep. Oh, and don't worry. I slipped the guy at a local shop a $20 to pass it without mud flaps or flares.

p.s. don't ever let me catch you going 1 mph over the speed limit, remember that's illegal !!!

UtahAdventureGuide
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Reminds me of a beef I had with the zoning office a few years ago because someone bitched about my other Jeep being parked in the driveway without a license plate on it. I wrote an application for my cell phone that let me take pictures and file complaints to the city from my phone. I took a different route home from work every day and filed over 40 complaints a day. How long do you think it took for the city to give in? Less than a week, and I think they're still trying to catch up on all the complaints.

Oh, and the dip shit who complained in the first place was renting his apartment out illegally, so his little complaint to the city about my Jeep costs him over $600 a month in rent, that was 3 years ago. It's costed him well over $21,600.00 to date. Oh, and when his water pipes broke in the middle of winter because he didn't have the power on because there were no renters, I waited until after I got home from work and water was pouring out of the garage before I let him know.

JP
09-09-2009, 05:03 AM
Every single 3/4 - 1 Ton Chevy, Ford, and Dodge are sold without mud flaps that go to the center of the axle. How is that possible?
:haha: I like your posts :haha:

In reference to the stock pickups, the bed of the truck stops most of the debris that gets kicked off the tires. That's the reason why they don't need the mud flaps. The body extends far enough back to get most of it. On a Jeep or certain other cars, the rear wheel placement and the end of the body are in such close proximity, that most of the debris is kicked out behind it without the body catching most of it. There's the reasoning :lol8:

fourtycal
09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Well I'm going to be a dick because the law is bull shit. I purchased the Jeep as it sits from a dealership who somehow managed to pass it without any problems. Every single 3/4 - 1 Ton Chevy, Ford, and Dodge are sold without mud flaps that go to the center of the axle. How is that possible? The law is a bunch of BS and it needs to be changed. I'll pay 100 tickets before I install fender flares on my Jeep. Oh, and don't worry. I slipped the guy at a local shop a $20 to pass it without mud flaps or flares.

p.s. don't ever let me catch you going 1 mph over the speed limit, remember that's illegal !!!

:haha: I agree that some of their rules are BS. I argued the backward mudflap law at the highway patrol office once where they had several dodge trucks and from just a few feet behind you could see the top of the tire. I don't mind mudflaps, anyone with a rock chip can understand, but it is the double standard that is crap.

Dealers are sticklers when it comes to inspection, if something is close like your flairs they will always advise or fail you. Try a quick inspection place, they seem a little more lenient when something is borderline.

Your Jeep looks great the way it is
:2thumbs:

UtahAdventureGuide
09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
In reference to the stock pickups, the bed of the truck stops most of the debris that gets kicked off the tires. That's the reason why they don't need the mud flaps. The body extends far enough back to get most of it.

I'm sure all of us have followed a dump truck that's had rocks or mud falling off the undercarriage and bouncing down the highway. Just a guess here but I willing to be that the majority of rocks that chip windshields come from vehicles that DO have mud flaps on them. Rocks that bounce up under the bed bounce right off and onto the highway.

Also, mud flaps that cover the top 50% of the tire do nothing to prevent rocks from being thrown from the lower 50% of the tire.

and there's more... The majority of rocks that are thrown around on the highway are relatively small, as in small enough to get lodged into the tread of most stock tires and then thrown out of the tread as the wheel speed increases. It takes a pretty damn big rock to get caught up in the tread on my tires, my tires do not throw small rocks because they can't get wedged in the tread. That would make my tires safer unless there's 3" - 4" rocks rolling around on the freeway.

I have a high-speed camera in storage that I can use to prove my theory and I'll send a copy of the tape to the department of highway safety (who I assume did very little research on the subject).

DOSS
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM

You are not the cops so you seeing me do 1 mph over the speed limit has no impact on me :)

you know it doesn't matter what joe blow or his buddy scrap knee got away with. the law is still the law. I hope that someone (with UHP ) sees that you paid the local shop guy $20 and that he looses his license to perform inspections (and some nice fines) and that you become the target of UHP for being so smart as to post on a public forum that you bribed someone to do something against the law.

UtahAdventureGuide
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
you know it doesn't matter what joe blow or his buddy scrap knee got away with. the law is still the law. I hope that someone (with UHP ) sees that you paid the local shop guy $20 and that he looses his license to perform inspections (and some nice fines) and that you become the target of UHP for being so smart as to post on a public forum that you bribed someone to do something against the law.

Well, I went to the same guy several of my buddies have gone to over the last few years so I guess he hasn't got caught yet. and by the way, I didn't bribe him, I didn't offer him any money. He came to me and said it would cost an additional $20 to pass the safety inspection so I paid it. He certified and I'm not so I assume he knew exactly what he was doing.

UtahAdventureGuide
09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
You are not the cops so you seeing me do 1 mph over the speed limit has no impact on me :)

So what you're saying is that its fine if you break the law as long as you don't get caught by a cop? you bitch at me for trying to find a way around a stupid law but then you try to justify it if you yourself break the law by speeding. 1 mph is breaking the law just as much as my tires being 1" outside the fender flares.

Time to start reading up on the zoning laws in Tooele.

DOSS
09-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Well, I went to the same guy several of my buddies have gone to over the last few years so I guess he hasn't got caught yet. and by the way, I didn't bribe him, I didn't offer him any money. He came to me and said it would cost an additional $20 to pass the safety inspection so I paid it. He certified and I'm not so I assume he knew exactly what he was doing.

ya I think that would be that he was blatantly asking for a bribe :)

moab mark
09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I own a couple of jeeps and have had alot of bad experiences with this. They are now registered in Rich County. But as far as your problem, you have to be careful going from location to location. I learned this the hard way. The states computer will flag you. Before you allow them to enter your info into their computer ask them to come out and walk around it and see if they feel it will pass the wheel mud flap test, if not leave. Try the tire places that do inspections they seem to be a little more lienent on tires and flaps. I would have it out with the dealer you bought if from if they passed it originally and now they won't. Go visit with the General Manager.

The mud flap rules are a problem, but in the states defense the new law is so much better then what it use to be that they deserve a little slack.

As far as I understand the truck rule, if it comes from the factory without flaps it doesn't need them. :ne_nau: But if it gets modified then your toast.

Mark

accadacca
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Personally I would swap out the tires and choose a different place next year. Perhaps before you have it inspected somewhere ask them if your tires are going to pass. If they say no then you say thanks anyway.

A law is a law, but an unfairly enforced law is bullshit. You cant fail a few and let dozens pass. Either enforce it or let them all go. I have never received a ticket, but I did have to use some expletives a few years ago to make them pass it. Fook em. :five: