PDA

View Full Version : Anybody "Off the Grid"?

DiscGo
09-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I once watched a special by Les Stroud called "Going of the Grid". Basically it was about his family buying some old farm in Cananda and converting it into a modern home and setting it up off the grid. I have loved the idea of doing that ever since I saw it but have no idea where to start. Do any of you use alternative energies (wind power, solar power, etc.) in your home?

R
09-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I visited some whackos in New Mexico who did just that. Here is their rather confusing web site...

http://www.worldsnest.com/html/worldsnest_home.html

Here are some of my photos of it...

http://www.richardbarron.net/galleries3/sandinourhair/worldsnest/

-R

Scott P
09-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Do any of you use alternative energies (wind power, solar power, etc.) in your home?

I've looked into all solar power, but since our house was built in 1974 and since we are planning to move within a few years, it didn't seem worth the cost. There was also a concern over icing of our solar panels due to our location. If you live near a metro area it is probably cheaper, but when I looked into it, it was around $40,000+, so it didn't seem worth putting in an older home.

What we did instead was to make the current house super energy efficient. We have super efficient windows, doors, insulation and of course all appliances, electronic devices, lights, etc. were all purchased because they were the most efficient available on the market.
When we do move, the new house will definately be off the grid.

We do use wind power though, since the local power company makes it available, but it's not 100%.

If you do want to go off the grid, initial cost are high, but then you don't have to pay for power. If you have a newer home it is probably worth it, but on an older home, possibly not. Although I haven't asked, I wonder what the cost difference would be if you were closer to the city? I assume it would be cheaper?

theking648
09-05-2009, 10:44 PM
aww "off the grid" by les stroud... thats a blast to the past. :lol8:

you don't know where to start? off the grid was like a blue print. it started with a property.. source for electricity so you'll need a battery bank. solor panels and/or wind turbine. you'll need water... which you can get almost anywere.. including urine. and a way to dispose of waste.. if you want to get extream.. include hunting and a garden.

i love the idea but it's not cheep to start out but in the long run it will save you a ton of money. if it were me i would start out with electricity first.

ilanimaka
09-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Now we're talking... I've always dreamed of doing something like this. Never heard of Les' show for that though. I may have to see if I can find it.

As for electricity, I have a couple things for ya. I'm attaching an e-book that I picked up somewhere along the way. It shows how to make your own solar cells.

Also, if you've ever heard of using an electric current to split water molecules into HHO gas, you could always go to these guys on ebay and pick one up. I doubt it would be too difficult to figure out how to integrate it into a water heater and/or other gas appliances.

HHO Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Full-Kit-Hydrogen-Generator-HHO-21-Plate-6x6-Dry-Cell_W0QQitemZ180402332176QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a00d12210&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245)

This is the full kit, but if you look round, you can find individual parts too.

LOAH
09-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I just find the title Anybody "Off the Grid"? quite humorous when posted online. :lol8:

DiscGo
09-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

The Les Stroud special was interesting but obviously made with his own bias to make it look easier than it is. So it raised my curiosity but I hardly found it to be a video tutorial.

Thanks for the feedback Scott.
The price was about double of what I was hoping. My wife and I are house hunting right now and I have some money saved up for after we get into a house, but I don't have 40k to set it up. I wonder if there is some form of "Green Bank" which gives loans to those going green.

Thanks for the eBook, I'll check it out.

Sorry, I just find the title Anybody "Off the Grid"? quite humorous when posted online. :lol8:

I know several people who live up near Denali National Park who do not have running water or electricity from the grid but have internet. It does happen, but I can see what you are saying.

KapitanSparrow
09-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I know several people who live up near Denali National Park who do not have running water or electricity from the grid but have internet. It does happen, but I can see what you are saying.

You gotta have the internet! My computer died recently and those were horrible days without the net, heh.

I'm gonna be off the grid when I get laid off and will have to live out of my tent, heh.