PDA

View Full Version : Rockslide closes popular trail at Zion National Park

UtahAdventureGuide
09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
From KSL:

September 3rd, 2009 @ 10:58am

ZION NATIONAL PARK, Utah (AP) -- A rockslide in Zion National Park has closed one of its most popular trails.

Park officials say rocks and debris fell onto a 50-foot section of Weeping Rock Trail on Wednesday morning. No one was hurt.

Park officials say they'll keep the trail closed until the boulders and debris are removed and the trail is fixed. The trail will likely remain closed at least through Labor Day weekend.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

canyonguru
09-04-2009, 01:54 PM
anyone have any pictures. I remember a couple of years ago when that slab broke off and fell onto the observation point trail. It seems to me that the rock falls are happening more freaquently.

shaggy125
09-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Does this mean we can rap out of lower echo? No tourists to hit with rocks?

:rockon:

Win
09-05-2009, 05:40 AM
I was talking to a long time resident of Springdale one time and he said a lot of rock slides occur around the full moon. The full moon was Friday!!

Win

ratagonia
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Zion National Park News Release
September 17, 2009

Ron Terry 435 772-0160

Weeping Rock Trail Reopened

Superintendent Jock Whitworth has announced that the Weeping Rock Trail in Zion National Park has reopened after being closed by a rockslide on September 2. A 50 foot section of the trail was buried with tons of rock and debris requiring the trail to be closed for visitor safety. The park's trail crew and an American Conservation Experience volunteer crew removed the rock and debris from the trail and made the necessary repairs to reopen the trail.

The Weeping Rock Trail is one of the most popular trails in the park. The