PDA

View Full Version : Ambien warning

savanna3313
08-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't know how many people may be taking this product and it may work just fine for most, but we had a very scary thing happen in our family this week. One of my brother in laws has been taking Ambien for a few weeks and nearly every time he takes it, he walks in his sleep, eats in his sleep and actually tried to get in his car and leave one night (quite common from things we've recently learned). On Monday, my sister heard a gunshot and ran to their office upstairs and he was sound asleep, but had fired the gun at himself - striking himself in the head. Thank God it was a superficial wound and he is going to be alright. Because of the situation, he was placed under a 72 hr suicide watch where it was determined that it was indeed an accident and basically something he did while asleep. He has no recollection of the event at all.

We are all very grateful that this episode wasn't more serious. Anyway, just a warning to anyone who is taking this product to be careful. Personally, I think it should be removed from the market.

Jaxx
08-28-2009, 03:12 PM
:eek2: That is so scary. Glad he is ok.

JP
08-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Outside of that gun incident, those are all some of the listed side effects.

LOAH
08-28-2009, 11:58 PM
You wanna get really scared? Read the possible side effect warnings on birth control pills. :eek2:

DaveOU812
08-29-2009, 05:44 AM
For some people it causes
VERY bizarre and out of charactor behaviors. Some people eat all the food In The house. Some shop online and won't remember it unill they reaise the moneys gone or 1200 barbies show up at their doorstep. Not all people are like that though.

I've taken it for quite some time now and have found that if you take your pill AFTER your in bed it cuts out alot of those issues. If I just think, oh I'll Check my email real quick before bed, your in for trouble.

I have ideocratic insomnia and have hAd it for about 10 years. Ambien has been a godsend for me. Without I will average 2 hours of sleep a nothing else has worked for me. I think, used appropriately, it can be a wonderfully drug.

What else have you tried that works for you? I'm willing to try just about anything.

savanna3313
08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
For some people it causes
VERY bizarre and out of charactor behaviors. Some people eat all the food In The house. Some shop online and won't remember it unill they reaise the moneys gone or 1200 barbies show up at their doorstep. Not all people are like that though.

I've taken it for quite some time now and have found that if you take your pill AFTER your in bed it cuts out alot of those issues. If I just think, oh I'll Check my email real quick before bed, your in for trouble.

I have ideocratic insomnia and have hAd it for about 10 years. Ambien has been a godsend for me. Without I will average 2 hours of sleep a nothing else has worked for me. I think, used appropriately, it can be a wonderfully drug.

What else have you tried that works for you? I'm willing to try just about anything.

It was my brother in law who was taking the Ambien. I usually sleep pretty well for the most part. All I have to do is take a couple of Benedryl and I'm out like a light! He was like you though, he suffered serious insomnia issues and thought this product would be a good thing. He was one of those few though that had the serious side effects. I've read them all, but I don't recall anything about "playing with guns"! :ne_nau: We're just so thankful that he's alright, but he'll probably have to see a plastic surgeon to get rid of that nasty scar he's going to have.

Sombeech
08-29-2009, 05:32 PM
My buddy Dave took some Ambien on our "Man Trip" last year and it F-ed him up that night.

R
08-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I use Ambien occasionally when I am experiencing periods during which I can't sleep. I have only bad one had experience, when I took one while I was somewhat dehydrated from working in the yard. Within about 30 minutes it hit me way too hard, and I could barely stand, then became violently ill. Unfortunately for Abby, I had eaten about a pint of blueberries, which I then yakked up on the bedroom carpet.

Important warning: Ambien may cause blue carpet!

Ih8grvty
08-31-2009, 08:28 AM
My dad has MANY health problems, mostly back and neck and stomach injuries and surgeries.
Can hardly sleep for more than an hour before he wakes up from pain.
For a bit, they had him on Ambien to help him sleep.
On one occasion he he woke up my step mom to tell her that he was sending her to the fat farm, she could return when she lost some weight, one morning she went downstairs to find the couch and chairs tipped over with him laying on the ottoman, arms and legs straight out 'flying' like superman.
Another incident led to my nephew locking the spare bedroom door that night because he was scared. I have no idea what happened there, my dad has no recollection of this and my nephew who was at the time about 6 only ever said that grandpa was trying to lift up the car and screaming at the people next door to turn off the f-ing lights.
The final incident was him waking up naked, outside, in the snow, laying on the curb and not knowing where he was, finding his way to teh door and beating on the door screaming for help for 20 minutes to wake up my step mother to let him as he was good enough to lock the door behind him when he went out at some point.

Now he lives in washington and just smokes a fat one an hour or so before bed, helps with the pain and he is sleeping more than he has in 30 years.
Keep in mind, My dad is 74, and MJ is legal for medical in washington. It took me a long time of talking to get him to try it.
Course, it wasnt legal WHERE he tried it out at, but is where he lives.

I have seen alot of problems of that nature with people on ambien, glad the old man is off it and has something that does help.

Rev. Coyote
08-31-2009, 09:39 AM
A few belts of a good top-shelf bourbon will help you sleep. Those pills are scary!

Iceaxe
08-31-2009, 09:56 AM
For the married men in the group.... I've discover that if you roll over and knock off a piece it will put your right to sleep when you are finished. :lol8:

savanna3313
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
For the married men in the group.... I've discover that if you roll over and knock off a piece it will put your right to sleep when you are finished. :lol8:

What does your wife do with the other 57 minutes of that hour? :roflol:

:popcorn: