PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Coldwater Canyon - the Chain Killer

Sombeech
08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Mark and I rode Coldwater Canyon tonight up by Snowbasin. My chain broke twice. We still made it up and back in about 2 hours though. I walked my bike about 1/2 mile. :doh:

This chain first broke on me a year ago last June down on the Thunder Mountain Trail. It's been going good since then, so I decided to let it ride. :mrgreen:

I've decided to buy a new chain.

greyhair biker
08-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Dude...and I am being serious here. You need more than a new chain. Go price out a new crankset, rear derailleur and freewheel cassette since I know you won't part with your beloved Klein because if you've gone as long as I am guessing you have between the last rebuild......you will basically get a new bike :mrgreen:

devo_stevo
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Dude...and I am being serious here. You need more than a new chain. Go price out a new crankset, rear derailleur and freewheel cassette since I know you won't part with your beloved Klein because if you've gone as long as I am guessing you have between the last rebuild......you will basically get a new bike :mrgreen:
x2

I had the same problem a couple of years ago on my old bike. Put a new chain on it and it wouldn't stay on the cassette. The teeth on the chainrings and cassette were done. Luckily, I had a spare 8 speed cassette laying around that I used and only had to buy chainrings and yes another new chain.

Since I got my new bike in 2006, I've put a new chain on it every spring and things are peachy keen. An ounce of prevention and all that stuff.

Sombeech
08-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, I bought a new chain today. That's the most money I've spent on my bike in about 3 years. :mrgreen:

RedMan
08-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Beech,

Look very closely at how the chain sits on the ring.
Usually they wear together and putting a new chain on the old ring will
result in a very fast wear out of the new chain, even it its not slipping.

REDFOX
08-27-2009, 08:41 PM
I learned a while ago that it is better to pay $40.00 for a new chain every year than to buy cassettes and chainrings because of a worn out bad chain damaging those other more expensive components.

tallsteve
08-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Ditto what everyone else has recommended. Get a new rear cassette at the least and maybe new front small and middle chainrings. Your bike is a classic- I would have a hard time parting with that but do replace some parts. After all, "Friends don't let friends ride junk"!

nd11nc
08-28-2009, 09:21 AM
What is the suggest interval for changing out chains and I am looking at new components as far as shifting i.e. the Scram XO or X9 stuff, is it worth the $$ to go top grade in this catagory. I know my Shimano shifting compontents are a pain in the ass occasionally that came with my bike. Suggestions, ideas?? Thanks.

chromehead58
08-28-2009, 10:33 AM
sommbeeeeechhhhhhh trust me on this one..go buy a new cassett and save yourself a lot of pushing. If your stuff is that old, it will not work with the new chain..found that out this past spring with my old fisher...as for how often to replace your chain..every year..or do as I do wait for it to all go and buy new chain and cassett..

tallsteve
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
What is the suggest interval for changing out chains and I am looking at new components as far as shifting i.e. the Scram XO or X9 stuff, is it worth the $$ to go top grade in this catagory. I know my Shimano shifting compontents are a pain in the ass occasionally that came with my bike. Suggestions, ideas?? Thanks.

I change chains sometimes twice a year but I've been told I'm a torque monster and I ride 3-4 times a week. If you haven't changed your chain in a while, chances are you'll need to replace the cassette at the same time as they will 'memory wear'. If you do change you chain make sure you clean it with a degreaser first to get all the thick oil/grease crap they put on them before packaging. Then lube with your favorite stuff before riding.
I would highly recommend the Sram stuff. I switched to the X9 last year and have stopped having the shifting problems I constantly fought with Shimano. Some guys swear by Shimano but, unless they come up with something totally new and radical, I won't go back.

Deeps
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
My stock Shimano (circa 1991) shifter is dead. The tune up place said the lube in them hardens to wax and bungs the whole mechanism up. They offered to use brake fluid to stip the wax off with the understanding it would happen again ($60) or I could buy a new shifter ($20). Both were out of my budget right now, so I'm stuck in high gear on the gears near the pedals.

greyhair biker
09-01-2009, 07:48 PM
My stock Shimano (circa 1991) shifter is dead. The tune up place said the lube in them hardens to wax and bungs the whole mechanism up. They offered to use brake fluid to stip the wax off with the understanding it would happen again ($60) or I could buy a new shifter ($20). Both were out of my budget right now, so I'm stuck in high gear on the gears near the pedals.

Save some money and buy a new shifter. You won't be sorry. :2thumbs: