PDA

View Full Version : 5 bicyclists crash; 3 sent to hospital

Sombeech
08-23-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7636047

UTAH COUNTY -- Five bicyclists were injured during a race when the driver of an SUV in front of them slammed on the brakes to avoid another vehicle.

The accident happened around 9:30 a.m. Saturday on State Road 92 near Timpanogos Cave in American Fork Canyon during the annual 1,000 Warriors charity bike race.

Three riders were sent to the hospital. One, Dave Collins, was in very critical condition. As of late Saturday night, friends tell us Collins had been through two surgeries and was doing a little better. He was cut from his jugular to his sternum and lost a lot of blood at the scene.

The other two injured bikers, Steve Beck and Mike Skousen, are expected to be OK. Friends say Skousen has been released from the hospital and Beck should be released Sunday. Two others received only minor injuries.

The five riders had been looking forward to Saturday's race. They're all part of Red Mountain Brumby's, a cycling club based in Mesa, Ariz. Forty five of them made the trip to Utah, including Collins.

"He's strong and he leads the pack often. He's cycled thousands of miles," said a friend, John Beck, whose son was injured in the race.

Collins took the brunt of the impact in the crash. According to the Utah Highway Patrol, the driver of an SUV slammed on its brakes to avoid hitting a vehicle pulling a trailer in the opposite lane. Collins and Steven Beck had no time to slow down and crashed into the SUV. Three other riders wrecked while trying to avoid the vehicle.

Trooper Nathan Powell said, "Coming down the hill in this type of event they can reach speeds of anywhere from 35 to 55 miles per hour."

Collins went through the back window of the SUV, cutting his jugular, breaking his jaw and damaging a nerve in his shoulder. Friends credit several first responders, including two EMT-trained racers, and a former military nurse for keeping him alive at the scene.

John Beck said, "It's going to be a long haul for Dave, and we're praying for him to pull through."

Canyon wasn't closed

Witnesses expressed concern that the canyon wasn't closed for the race and that there wasn't signage warning drivers. Race organizer Rick Bennett says they tried to do just that.

"We asked UDOT to close the canyon and they declined," he said.

The Utah Department of Transportation confirms that, adding race officials approached them only days ago and with conflicting dates for the race.

UDOT's Scott Thompson said, "We did not want to take away the activity for all the recreational users trying to get through the canyon."

1,000 Warriors event

The 1,000 Warriors bike ride is an annual event that raises money for scholarships for wounded war veterans and the children of veterans killed in action. It is held in conjunction with but is not related to the Tour of Utah.

Participants began Saturday's event at 6 a.m. in Park City. The race was briefly stopped to allow a medical helicopter to land. It resumed with riders crossing the finish line at Snowbird.

An investigation is ongoing and UHP doesn't know if any charges will be filed.

cachehiker
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
An investigation is ongoing and UHP doesn't know if any charges will be filed.

Against the UHP?

I spent the weekend camping up there (in the rain) and delayed my departure partly because of hangover and partly because I expected the road to be closed for at least a few hours due to the race. It wasn't.

I rode that same section for the very first time on Monday. I was going over 40 in places in spite of my riding the brakes.

Last Child
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Against the bikers I would bet.

If you saw the news report on this you can see that the bikers are not following the biking laws while riding on the roads. If the roads were not closed then one must obey all the rules. Say like riding one or two or three or ten abreast? Also one of them laws is following too close. If you rear end the vehicle in front of you then you are to blame and are following too close. You will be the one ticketed. Every time. This according to a UHP acquaintance of mine.

Although I feel bad for these guys I would be pissed if some guy smashed up my vehicle because he wasn't following the laws. I wonder if the insurance company of the owner of the SUV will be suing the bicyclist? They probably have a very good case against them?

That aside this is a very sad and tragic accident. Lucky for this guy there were several well trained medical persons there to assist and no doubt saved his life.

I'll stick to the trails thank you. SUV vs roadie.... roadie looses.

cachehiker
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Against the bikers I would bet.

I simply find it hard to believe that UDOT would allow bicycles to race on that road on a SATURDAY without closing it for a few hours. They were supposedly running a "rolling closure" but once the UHP went past ahead of the leaders, vehicles would simply pull out into the next gap, ahead of the officers trailing the cyclists behind them.

Unless it is closed, I will not ride that road on a Saturday under any circumstances whatsoever. Fridays and Sundays are bad enough. Monday through Thursday it isn't bad at all.