PDA

View Full Version : I'm packing a bag, they're packing arrows

Deeps
08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm planning on packing in to Notch Lake for the first time tomorrow with my son and dog. I've never really run into bow hunters where I normally go (Ruth, Trial/Wall/Twin), but I'm wondering about the area.

Anything I need to be aware of aside from "don't get in the way"?

Mtnman1830
08-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I have had both good and bad run ins with hunters.

The ones on East Mountain seemed very irritated that we were in the same area, they made sure to tell us that they were "Putting the stalk on a deer". I wanted to hit my panic button on my key chain so bad, but I thought I would probaby have flat tires when I came off the mountain.

We also ran into some up in the Henrys this week. They were very nice, and let my son look thru their spotting scope at a herd of buffalo.

So, have fun, and dont worry too much about it.

Deeps
08-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks.

I've heard a number of stories about slashed tires and even some gunplay, but I've going with those being extreme situations and possibly exaggerated.

The only uncertainty is the dog. She's pretty good about sticking close by, but if there are other people she's social and will check them out. I can see how that might be annoying for men on a mission.

I'm wondering if there are even that many hunters around on the trail - Notch is a pretty popular trail for packing and climbing, and with the number of people I can't imagine there are many good game specimens hanging around the area. Then again...

Maybe we should stick with Ruth because it's the devil we know?

Mtnman1830
08-19-2009, 07:09 PM
If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. You have just as much right being there than they do.

I don't know the area that well, but the hunters probably wont me up in a tree stand right on the trail.

uintahiker
08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
The Notch is a bit on the high side for a lot of deer hunters. Those who got lucky and drew out for a mountain goat however love the area. You shouldn't have any problems. Throw on a red hat or something just to be safe.

psl53
09-25-2009, 09:39 PM
If there are hunters in the area they are most likely up at O dark 30 and well back at camp by 9 or 10 and back out at 5 or 6 in the afternoon, I wouldn't think it will be a problem.
Have a good time.
Peter

Brian in SLC
10-02-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm planning on packing in to Notch Lake for the first time tomorrow with my son and dog. I've never really run into bow hunters where I normally go (Ruth, Trial/Wall/Twin), but I'm wondering about the area.
Anything I need to be aware of aside from "don't get in the way"?

Nah, most bow hunters are pretty cool. You might not see them unless they're in travel mode.

I've seen a number of illegal salt licks in the Wasatch...my bet is if you stumbled into one of those, and scared bambi off, then someone might get itchy, but, they might not too given they're on sketchy ground to begin with.

Ran into a couple up Butler Fork a few years ago, draggin' a freshly killed deer down to the trail. They saw us, stopped what they were doing, and just sorta stood there, wondering what sort of grief the tree huggers were going to give them. We were on a bit of a power hike after work, gettin' a sweat on. As we passed, I said, "happines is a warm gut pile, eh?" They were pretty psyched.

Seen a number of them out scoutin'. I always try to pass on a tip or two if we've seen any game. Plenty of bambi's out there.

-Brian in SLC

LB_Design
02-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I am an avid backpacker as well as bow hunter in the uintahs. If you see a salt lick it might be mine due to the fact that they are not illegal;)
It can be frustrating when people are hiking into your area where you are hunting. But i realize it is important to stay away from the main trail. But if you was to ruin my hunt for my i would still greet you with a smile and maybe chit chat for a minute. We both love the outdoors and you didnt mean to come in and ruin my hunt.

Just thought i would share my opinion in the matter;)

yenndee
03-01-2010, 11:18 PM
What is the best rain/bus rail ticket for a backpacker in the uk ages 28? i want to travel throughout england, ireland and scotland next year, what is the most economical way to do this?
external keyword tool (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/keyword.aspx?q=external%20keyword%20tool) ~ keyworddiscovery.com (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=keyworddiscovery.com) ~ keycompete.com (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=keycompete.com) ~ compete.com (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=compete.com) ~ webmasterworld.com (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=webmasterworld.com)

Jaxx
03-02-2010, 09:29 AM
What is the best rain/bus rail ticket for a backpacker in the uk ages 28? i want to travel throughout england, ireland and scotland next year, what is the most economical way to do this?

By camel back. Seriously, check into it.

Mtnman1830
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I am an avid backpacker as well as bow hunter in the uintahs. If you see a salt lick it might be mine due to the fact that they are not illegal;)
It can be frustrating when people are hiking into your area where you are hunting. But i realize it is important to stay away from the main trail. But if you was to ruin my hunt for my i would still greet you with a smile and maybe chit chat for a minute. We both love the outdoors and you didnt mean to come in and ruin my hunt.

Yes, if I was to stumble upon some one like this, I would feel bad, but when they are crying about me being on the same road, parking where they parked I am going to be a little bit noisy.

LB_Design
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Yes, if I was to stumble upon some one like this, I would feel bad, but when they are crying about me being on the same road, parking where they parked I am going to be a little bit noisy.

Oh i hear ya. Us hunters are the ones that need to be aware of common foot traffic. Thats all there is to it;)