PDA

View Full Version : So...

forum8fox
08-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I talked to my web developer friend today and got the ball rolling on the colorado cave database idea! I'm so psyched, it sounds totally feasable.

It might cost me $20 a month to do it like I want (allowing users to upload photos) but I think I can manage that or get friends to pitch when I'm strapped. Eventually when the site gets going and has enough traffic I will look into advertisment to cover the cost of the site so it will be free for all.

Now comes the fun task of getting some community feed back and ideas.

I'm pretty sure I mostly want to model the site after www.mountainproject.com
Striving for people to use their real name instead of a handle but allowing handles to protect peoples idenity. The purpose of this IMO would be to strive for a highly respectful user group where people should be held accountable for what they say to another person.

On top of that to be a user you will have to fill out some extensive identification to prove who you are. How that's going to work I'm not exactly sure. Any ideas?

I would like to be able to track usage by user so that people can be contacted if something bad happens in a certain cave (vandalism mostly).

As far as the layout of the site goes; I want a forum, I want a section dedicated to education, links obviously, simple user profiles aswell as having the site be an active user contributed database. The ability to rate a cave with stars and some sort of rating system so people can know vaguely what to expect before actually viewing the cave description page(IE when they are listed by area, beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert will probably suffice).

Thoughts? What am I missing (I know there must be a ton)?

caverdan
08-20-2009, 06:09 AM

forum8fox
08-20-2009, 06:37 AM
Yea I know what you mean about limiting who can view it Dan, I was just trying to come up with a way to keep elietists off my back for making the site. :ne_nau: I didn't really see it as picking and choosing, anyone could join they would just have to prove they are who they are. No matter what I don't want phoney accounts.

I too hope it will be quick, part of it will depend on the users obviously, as I only know of/ have been to so many caves.

caverdan
08-20-2009, 06:54 AM

vader
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Dan's right. You should avoid caves on Private property. If you were to list them it would create a big cluster ( maybe even some legal issues ). I would guess and say that 90 % of all the caves out there are on Public property anyway. :naughty:

forum8fox
08-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry I never got back to you on that part, it is my intention to leave any caves on private property or with gates off the site. You both sound like you think I'm going to do all the posting... That's not the idea. It's going to have to be upto our users to be responsible in that manner, however I know I will have to moderate things, and I might have to assign more moderators as time goes on and it starts to grow. I will be counting on people like you guys to really make things happen. I will be contributing of course but as I've mentioned before I only know of so many caves.

What else guys? I really want community involvment in creating this so that it will work well and mostly keep people happy. It's not just for me you know, how would you do it?

vader
08-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I like it. I think you are on the right track. I don't know if I would do anything different. I took a better look at Mountain project tonight. I noticed much of the front page was filled up with news and stuff. do you plan on doing this?

One other thing that will be of interest to me will be the amount of participation that the site gets. You know you can count on Myself and MC caver, as well as a few others. I think organized cavers will avoid the site, unless it's to post a negative message on the discussion board.

Can't wait to see how things work out. once you get it up we can start posting to it and fill it up with caves. :five:

caverdan
08-21-2009, 06:30 AM

vader
08-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I was just trying to come up with a way to keep elietists off my back for making the site.

Dude.......the only way you'll do THAT is to not do it at all.

DITTO. If you post any information be ready, It will upset somebody. Fault caves seems like a pretty harmles cave to post a location for. It has little or no speological value, but when you post it's location it will rub somebody wrong.

A new forum in Colorado would be cool too.

That would be one of the best parts. I still surf the other Colorado cave board, because it has some great information, but it's lacking on the Trip reports.