PDA

View Full Version : Trail Shoes for Hiking

tmartenst
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I have always worn trail running shoes for hiking and I am need of a new pair. I've used Montrail and my last two were Vasque and are pretty torn down by now. Any opinions about what shoes have been successful for you?

I am looking at La Sportiva because I know they are super light and worn by many ultrarunners so they go the distance and have comfort. I also have a narrow foot so they would work.

I know many probably wear hiking boots but I think I like the lightness of a shoe. Never had issues with support.

T

erial
08-14-2009, 07:54 AM
For Class I hiking: just use my running shoes. Class II and up: La Sportiva Exum Ridge.

Bo_Beck
08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
I have always worn trail running shoes for hiking and I am need of a new pair. I've used Montrail and my last two were Vasque and are pretty torn down by now. Any opinions about what shoes have been successful for you?

I am looking at La Sportiva because I know they are super light and worn by many ultrarunners so they go the distance and have comfort. I also have a narrow foot so they would work.

I know many probably wear hiking boots but I think I like the lightness of a shoe. Never had issues with support.

T

I generally wear my old Exum Ridges (12th pair), however used my new Exum Pros in Heaps a few weekends ago. La Sportiva no longer makes the Exum Ridge (you'll need to update to the Exum Pros), but the Exum Pro is just a beefed up version of the old Exum Ridge. Built on a climbing shoe last with lacing down close to the toe, this shoe performs well especially for low volume or narrow feet! Downside....they have pretty soft rubber soles (great for friction) that wear down fairly quickly. They have a fair amount of open mesh for draining, but can and do suck in fine sand. After 5 years now I'll still stick to my La Sportivas unless I'm planning over a 25 mile day, then going to something with more volume and cush.