PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Canyons by Kingman?

canyonguru
08-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I have to head down to kingman on tues to get my dog spayed (long story) and was wondering if there are any slots or good hikes in the area that i can do. I have to drop the pup off at 8 am and will be picking her up around 3pm so i have some time to burn. Let me know thanks.

denaliguide
08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
i have spent the last 3 summers in kingman, az. its gonna be freaking hot. seriously over 100 would be my guess. not much fun hiking.

if i were you i would go over the hill to bullhead and spend the day at lake mohave. it's only a 30 minute drive. the water will be nice and refreshing. as you come down the hill into bullhead turn right onto the katherine landing road. just before the visitor center turn right and go out a couple miles and turn left to cottonwood cove. (i think its called cottonwood cove). anyway there is a nice beach and the swimming is wonderful.

theres also some rock art above bullhead in grapevine canyon. cross the river at laughlin and stay on the highway up the hill (like you are headig to hwy 95). turn right on the christmas tree pass road. go a couple miles + or -. the i think there is a sign and road going left to grapevine canyon. hike up the canyoon a few hundred yards and you can't miss all the rock art.

if you are serious about hiking you could go up into the hualapai mountains to the east. at the junction of andy devine and stockton hill rd head east. the road name changes to hualapai mtn drive. its seven miles to the visitor center. you are up at 5 or 6 thousand feet and it will be much cooler. theres a few trails up there to wander around on. nice ponderosa pines and you will probably see some deer running around.

the wabayuma and warm springs wilderness west of kingman will be miserable places to hike. no shade and no water. just plain roasting.

RedRoxx
08-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Supposed to have a cold wave this weekend, Tucson high temp only 99---yeah right.
Previous suggestions right on for the area. Pretty far south of there is Burro Creek, which has some nice walls and water, although not that narrow. Warm Springs Canyon has some nice narrows right off the highway, but it will be friggin hot and watch for the rattlers.