PDA

View Full Version : Best place to live in Utah

uintahiker
08-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm thinking about moving back to the Beehive state, but want to stay away from the Wasatch Front. Where's the best place to live, Logan or St. George? I'd like the thoughts of people that live there, or know people who live there.

I've determined already that Boulder City is the best place to live because of the close proximity of mountains and desert, but since there's no economy there I'm looking for an area with a larger population.

stefan
08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
the sprawl in st. george is so depressing.

Deuce
08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I have spent a fair bit of time in both, and given the choice, I would take Logan all day long..... That said, my wife would take St. George.... I love the 4 seasons and have a deep love of Logan from my days at Utah State University.

My wife loves the heat and those Summers are worth the mild Winters.....

IMO, they are two VERY different locals..... Nothing about Logan reminds me of St. George....and vice versa...... Logan is a mountain town, St. George is a desert town.....

Kent K25
08-04-2009, 08:55 PM
St. George....no snow.....game over. Move to St. George.

RedMan
08-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Hurricane, you can dodge some of the St George crap and still benefit from the economy.

Reedus
08-05-2009, 10:23 AM

Snow is good. Look into Richfield and surrounding areas

brookiekiller
08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Cedar City - 4 seasons, close enough to St. George, and the charm of a town like Logan.

Last Child
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM
The Hunstville-Eden area is pretty choice. Close to Ogden. Lots of good skiing, fishing, and mtbing to be had within an hours drive.

asdf
08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Anyone live in or around Torrey?

RedMan
08-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Snow is good. Look into Richfield and surrounding areas

I recommend living somewhere you can get a job, unless you intend to make your own. Ditto for Torrey.

uintahiker
08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I recommend living somewhere you can get a job, unless you intend to make your own. Ditto for Torrey.

I'm 4 months away from a degree in construction management, and being interested in commercial construction, I've decided a that a population of at least 50000 is the size of town I'd need to be close to. What's the economy/job situation like in Logan or St. George?

moab mark
08-05-2009, 07:37 PM
If I was looking to go into construction in the current economy.I would get as close as possible to the Wasatch Front.

What about Grand Junction? Pretty close to a lot of quality playing.

The construction industry in St. George is taking a beating. If you specialize in foreclosures your set.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Sombeech
08-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Cedar City

Bo_Beck
08-06-2009, 07:42 AM
I moved to St. George in 1985 to become a millionaire! Only 950,080 hours at work to go! I have lived in a few places and really enjoy the St. George area. The construction economy is at a standstill. Maybe once the new airport is complete 2011? maybe the town will begin its economic upswing again? No we only have 2 seasons, but 30 minutes north of town mountains are had. Summers are long and hot, but then so are winters (long and cold) in Logan. Never been to Logan for any period of time, but one of my best employees just moved there 3 weeks ago. (I still have her on the payroll to do my clothing buying). Having lived in "Snow Country" on occasion (Spokane, Durango, Colorado Springs, Stowe, SLC) I'm quite content to not have to shovel snow, nor slog through Mud Season. I quite enjoy being able to drive to Zion or up north to "just visit" the snow!

moab mark
08-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I moved to St. George in 1985 to become a millionaire! Only 950,080 hours at work to go! I have lived in a few places and really enjoy the St. George area. The construction economy is at a standstill. Maybe once the new airport is complete 2011? maybe the town will begin its economic upswing again? No we only have 2 seasons, but 30 minutes north of town mountains are had. Summers are long and hot, but then so are winters (long and cold) in Logan. Never been to Logan for any period of time, but one of my best employees just moved there 3 weeks ago. (I still have her on the payroll to do my clothing buying). Having lived in "Snow Country" on occasion (Spokane, Durango, Colorado Springs, Stowe, SLC) I'm quite content to not have to shovel snow, nor slog through Mud Season. I quite enjoy being able to drive to Zion or up north to "just visit" the snow!

If you can find a job in St. George, it's hard to argue with his points. BUUUTTTTT he hasn't got Snowbird and ALTA.

Mark

accadacca
08-08-2009, 10:00 PM
One vote for Logan and another for Cedar City.

But I quite like living in South Jordan. I liked the area for a long time before moving here a year ago.

:popcorn:

IntrepidXJ
08-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I vote for Grand Junction......close enough to Utah :haha:

Scott P
08-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm 4 months away from a degree in construction management, and being interested in commercial construction, I've decided a that a population of at least 50000 is the size of town I'd need to be close to.

It's been a rough time for that sector, so I would go with which ever one offers you a job. Personally, I would take Cedar City or Grand Junction over Logan or St. George. As said though, go where you get offered the job.

mtthwlw
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
The Hunstville-Eden area is pretty choice. Close to Ogden. Lots of good skiing, fishing, and mtbing to be had within an hours drive.

I live in Toquerville, which might be a little small for some, but I love it. That said, if I didn't have the job I currently do, I'd move to Ogden. I love that town. It's big enough to have some good local restaurants (The Bistro on 25th street, or the Athenian, or almost anything else on 25th street are excellent). There's a farmer's market. If you work in SLC you can take the train in... and be back in town where there are trails for fat tire biking or hiking in the evening or weekends.

Anyway, my vote: Ogden or the surrounding area.