PDA

View Full Version : Ogden Ride Tomorrow - 8/4/09

Sombeech
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Who's riding? I'm up for anything in the area. I've even been trying to get up to that Perry Trail that devo_stevo has been riding.

devo_stevo
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I should be there on Thursday evening if you want to go then, but I can't tomorrow night.

Keep in mind, that you may not think to highly of it if you aren't in the mood to ride uphill. It's steep in spots and doesn't let up much. Not trying to deter you or nothing, just saying. The ride back down on the other hand is absolutely wonderful. Wwatch out for rocks on the sides of the trail that will bite you if you're sleeping.

If you do go up there tomorrow, let us know how it goes. I might go up there in the morning tomorrow like around 5:30 AM before work.

Have fun.

Sombeech
08-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I've heard it's quite the climb, but my wife's cousin Rob Earl has been telling me about this for a few months now so I'd better give it a try before I run out of time this year.

I'm still undecided about doing it tomorrow, but there's a good possibility

blueeyes
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Beech if you go tomorrow let me know I will join. I was going to go to SL and ride at Solitude but Perry is so much closer and a new trail for me and one I want to do.

neilether
08-04-2009, 07:13 AM
It's steep in spots and doesn't let up much.

Understatement! Especially the initial 1.5 miles are pretty brutal. If you can survive that part, it mellows out (slightly....). I did it a few weeks back and the late afternoon sun on that west-facing slope was pretty brutal. I would think that morning would be a better time so the heat doesn't exacerbate the already difficult climb. My opinion of course.

I will echo Devo's sentiments about the ride down. It is very cool. Tons of tight turns and a long descent. Let us know how it goes if you get up there tonight.

Last Child
08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
This is my favorite trail but I love to climb and I love the solitariness. Especially on the new ride. With this heat though I'd strongly recommend hitting it in the early mornings. Best part is that you don't see too many people on it. A little too steep for most peoples likings.

Stan is working on a new section. At the first fork, which has only been there about two weeks now, hang to the left. It will take you to just above where the road crosses the creek. Last time I rode it he had the makings of a bridge just above the creek crossing. This is a little funner to ride than the old portion. This new portion is a little on the soft side. It could use some rubber on it for sure.

Enjoy.

live2ride
08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
So beech you ridin today or what? I am game for some Snowbasin action, maples with coldwater etc? let me know!

Sombeech
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Crap, lately it seems I'm always on the fence until about an hour prior to the ride.

I'm watching the kids all day on tuesdays and it depends when my wife gets home from work.

I really want to ride tonight somewhere, I just can't tell you guys when I'll be able to meet up with you.

You guys should post where you're wanting to ride, and I'll see if I can join up with you.

blueeyes
08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
i changed my mind i can't go today. i am trying to clean house for a yard sale this weekend

live2ride
08-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I eneded up riding greens with last chance loop for a quicky last night, was great!

devo_stevo
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I went to Logan and ate Chinese last night. Then I rode Perry Canyon this morning at 5:30. I had to stop for a couple of minutes and rest because I honestly thought I was going to vomit. It was great.

Last Child
08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I rode Perry Canyon this morning at 5:30. I had to stop for a couple of minutes and rest because I honestly thought I was going to vomit. It was great. :haha:

[Kilgore voice on]

I love the smell of vomit in the morning.

[Kilgore voice off]

Did you check out the new portion of the lower trail and if so has he finished the bridge and connection to the main trail again yet?

I'm a hoping to ride here this weekend.

devo_stevo
08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Yup, it's done and the bridge is a beaut. Right through the crotch of a tree with a pretty tight corner all at the same time. The new trail is fun. It's going to take some time to pack it all down, but a good winter and lots of people riding it should take care of that. It'll be great in the spring.

Too bad I won't be able to ride with you this weekend. I'm going to be in Bear Lake. I'm hoping to get away long enough to ride that trail up St. Charles canyon the Ponce posted a while back.

blueeyes
08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Yup, it's done and the bridge is a beaut. Right through the crotch of a tree with a pretty tight corner all at the same time. The new trail is fun. It's going to take some time to pack it all down, but a good winter and lots of people riding it should take care of that. It'll be great in the spring.

Too bad I won't be able to ride with you this weekend. I'm going to be in Bear Lake. I'm hoping to get away long enough to ride that trail up St. Charles canyon the Ponce posted a while back.

Janet and I get to ride that one Aug 15th. I am excited!