PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Account Help

blueeyes
08-02-2009, 11:11 AM
So I have this SPOT and use it when I ride. I just don't know what to do with the info after.

What does GPX, CSV, KML mean? If I export my tracking info in one of these formats what programs do I need if any?

I try and use the stuff SPOT has set up. But it does not like my computer or my connection something never works and it frustrates me. I can't see my stuff on a map, or the map is there but most of it is missing. I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

RedMan
08-02-2009, 02:19 PM
So I have this SPOT and use it when I ride. I just don't know what to do with the info after.

What does GPX, CSV, KML mean? If I export my tracking info in one of these formats what programs do I need if any?

I try and use the stuff SPOT has set up. But it does not like my computer or my connection something never works and it frustrates me. I can't see my stuff on a map, or the map is there but most of it is missing. I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Okay so here is my $.03 worth. The SPOT is not a very good GPS, meaning the track it saves of your trip is pretty worthless other than for bragging rights and giving a general idea of where you have been. And of course it won't guide you anywhere.

All of these outputs are simply different formats of the same tracklog you created while using the SPOT. GPX (GPS eXchange) is a fairly common format making your tracklog readable by other software packages so someone can take your log and load it on their GPS. CSV, (comma separated value) is a more generic version. You could load this into MS Excel if you wanted. KML is the format used buy Google Earth primarily. So the format you save it out as, is dictated by who you might be sharing it with and what software they will use.

You need Java installed (or maybe updated) to use the maps under your findmespot.com account. Sometimes they are slow to load, be patient. It has always worked for me, what browser and version do you use?