PDA

View Full Version : Closures?

Bo_Beck
07-30-2009, 07:43 PM
While I've never been supportive of ANY closures of ANY public lands, I do realize that it is a reality whether I, you, or they agree. I happen to know that there may be a very remote possibility that Lower Echo Canyon may be on the endangered list?! O.K. so many of you don't give a Hoot, but I do! The Lower Echo Canyon remains open to those that desire to see another part of Zion, but, but, but, to those that whom may have or have not retained the skills, and desire to see this "on/off the beaten path" trail I feel it essential that we abide by "THE RULES". Descend and be capable and most importantly equiped to ASCEND back out! NO RAPPELLING WEEPING ROCK! Yes we all want to do that last drop! What fun! Wanna have fun? Yep we all do. Wanna see another closure? Head down Lower Echo for your thrill and do the last rappel for your archive so that you might share it with those that have been shut out.

For those that have read and re-read the information for Middle Echo and swear that you got offtrack???????? Just remember that Lower Echo will be on your left as you hike up. You have the proper ascencion rope and gear to get out? Go for it, (make sure you have the proper permit) and have a blast!. For those of you that intend and are permitted for middle (or upper echo) be sure that you by-pass the Observation Point trail and enter the canyon from the right. Simple! Proactivity may be the key to prevent a future frown!

Cheers,
Bo

Iceaxe
07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Bo, I assume this post has a bigger story?

Someone "get lost" and descend Lower Echo..... good thing they had enough rope. big difference between 20-feet and 230-feet.....

Anyhoo.... I'm sure we would all be interested in the rest of the story. I do remember you cutting down some ropes from the final rap in Lower Echo a few years back.

:popcorn:

Bo_Beck
07-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Bo, I assume this post has a bigger story?

Someone "get lost" and descend Lower Echo..... good thing they had enough rope. big difference between 20-feet and 230-feet.....

Anyhoo.... I'm sure we would all be interested in the rest of the story. I do remember you cutting down some ropes from the final rap in Lower Echo a few years back.

:popcorn:

Well Ice....theres a bit to the story. I have gone down the canyon 3 times to either cut loose rope from Weeping Rock or to help poor souls out that didn't have enough rope to continue (400' at the last rappel) and swore that they thought they were in Middle Echo! Duh! The Canyon is OPEN for public to descend, but not open for the last 400' rappel over Weeping Rock. It is explained to that those that desire to descend the canyon, they must ascend back out and not rappel over Weeping Rock. Some folks abide, some dont, but the biggest problem is due to people just not using common sense. You know, I know, we all know that lower Echo is on the left; middle Echo is on the right (as hiking from Weeping Rock). Just don't get lost. Read a Map! I know it's a foreign concept, but take the time to learn! Very few people use this canyon, but it just takes a few to turn the tide (if you know what I mean?). Lets just try to take it off the radar and let it pass. It really means so little to so many, but means so much to so few. Go hike Middle Echo and have fun and or hike Lower Echo, but be prepared and abiding.......please!?

Iceaxe
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Some folks abide, some dont, but the biggest problem is due to people just not using common sense.

Isn't that the truth!

:cool2:

Bo_Beck
07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Some folks abide, some dont, but the biggest problem is due to people just not using common sense.

Isn't that the truth!

:cool2:

Let me expound just a bit. I have NOTHING to do with policy, nor am I an influence to how policy may come about. I am just relating what I feel about some inferences I've heard. I blame no one for what has happened or may occur. I simply take a stance that I believe is necessary to hopefully prevent an action that could occur...an action that I do not agree would be necessary if we could prevent further attention to the percieved problem. Common Sense..what a concept?!