PDA

View Full Version : 8th Annual Sept. 11th tribute/memorial Hike

Scout Master
07-20-2009, 09:49 PM
The following was posted on the Utah Geocachers website. UTDARCY (Damian Darcy) was an EMT who survived the collapse of the world trade center by only a few minuites. He now lives here in Utah and leads a hike to Flag rock in Farmington Utah on September 11, each year. Bogleyites and friends are invited to join this hike with Damian and hear his story of how he survived and how he lost so many friends that day.

Once again the time of years is coming around for the annual Sept 11th Hike.

the hike has been posted on Geocaching.com Waypoint GC1W4BR

A great hike with spectacular views. Everyone is welcome. Come to basecamp and meet everyone and sign the log. Those willing can then experience what the fire fighters experienced on Sept 11th as we make our way to flag rock.

This is a Newly appointed Trail by Farmington. Randall West created the trail and has worked hard over the last 8 years to make this an approved city trail. He was recently ( july 2009) appointed the Trail Chief for flag Rock.

You can view photos of previous hikes in the photo's on UTAG. We look forward to a great turnout. Even those from previous years hike are encouraged to come out and attend.

Let's Never forget that fateful day, or those lost.

UTDARCY - Retired NYC Emergency Medical Technician
A great hike with a great view of the salt lake come experience what the NY Fire fighters did as you make your journey to the top of the Flag Rock Trail. See a spectacular view of the Great Salt lake while remembering those lost.

This Trail is now a part of the Farmington city trails.

Trail Chief Randall West will be there to guide you up to Flag Rock as well as answer questions about the Flag, and the Trail.

The Flag was originally placed in the spring of 2002 in honor of September 11th. Several Flags have since replaced the original which now sits in the Farmington Museum..

as a Former New York E.M.T. I ( UTDARCY) responded on 9/11/01. I lost many friends and colleagues that fateful day.

In 2006 I came across this tribute hike (hosted by Aim High & Rugratrandall)

The Experience TOOK my BREATH AWAY !!!!!

in 2007 Aim High allowed me to plan the hike - the turnout was incredible - a great group of people.

Again in 2008 I hosted with a great Turnout including KSL news Own Alex Cabrerra.

The Starting point Basecamp is
Farmington Firehouse
82 North 100 East
Farmington City, Utah 84025

Please feel free to bring your Trackables for discovery or to come and share some of your GEOCACHING EXperiences with other attendees

Travel Bug - 9-11 Tribute will be displayed at basecamp throughout the hike. ( this Bug does not get out much - this is your chance to log it's find )

BaseCamp -
Farmington Firehouse
82 North 100 East
Farmington City, Utah 84025

Everyone is Welcome - If you feel you cannot make the Hike show up at base camp and sign the log to show attendance and at least support those making the hike.

ALL ARE WELCOME - EVEN IF NOT MAKING THE HIKE STOP BY BASECAMP
see the FLAG OF HONOR AND MEET SOME OF THE OTHERS THERE !!!! SIGN THE LOG BOOK

Rugratrandall ( Flag Rock Trail Chief) , and I will be at the starting area (BASECAMP) Around 6 AM

we expect arrivals between 6:15 and 6:30.
At 6:45 there will be a moment of silence (A.A. flight # 11 hit first tower)
A brief Memorial Tribute
we will than take a group photo at basecamp.

At 7:03 another moment of silence (Flight # 175 hit the second towers) And then we will then begin the journey up to flag rock. ( Everyone can move at their own Pace. )

at the top we will gather for a small meet & greet and take another group photo at flag rock with the FLAG & GREAT SALT LAKE IN THE BACKGROUND. See Attached Photo

Scout Master
07-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Some pics from last year
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/1f09369f-44dd-4020-acd0-bc0c484037e9.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/ce9a34af-b2d0-4609-9326-11dd47a1cfee.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/99b79b26-a73a-4bf4-b4a7-11b93bc1adab.jpg