PDA

View Full Version : July 20, 1969

Iceaxe
07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I still remember this day like it was yesterday.... the entire nation was so dang exicited.....

But I have been disappointed in our space program ever since.... I figured the moon was just the first step towards Mars and beyond...

What if Columbus had of sailed to the New World and returned home.... and than everyone said.... "Heck, we've already been there, why go back?"

I also expected to being flying around town with my jet pack by now with my kids following along behind riding their hover bikes......

Anyhoo.... this will always be a special day for me. I doubt anything else in my lifetime will surpass this achievement in the "World Epic" category....

http://tizona.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/07-20-04-apollo-11-lg-jpg.jpeg

DiscGo
07-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Did you guys see the MythBusters special on the moon landing? It was really interesting.

James_B_Wads2000
07-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Did you guys see the MythBusters special on the moon landing? It was really interesting.

I have seen it before, it was really interesting. Errrr I mean it is part of the ongoing conspiracy that tells us the landings were not faked. :roll:

James

Deathcricket
07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Wasn't born yet. But did you hear they "taped over" the supposed greatest moment in history?

Also haven't seen that mythbusters, thanks Discgo!

Iceaxe
07-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Errrr I mean it is part of the ongoing conspiracy that tells us the landings were not faked. :roll:

:lol8: Before I ever posted this I knew James would chime in as one of the non-believers..... You can always tell the kids that watched the movie "Capricorn One" too many times.... But than again.... I also though James would tell me that jet packs and hover bikes that run on water already exist and the automotive industry has joined forces with the oil industry to keep it all a big secret....

The history Channel will be running Apollo 11 stuff all day long, including a new movie called "Moon Shot" tonight....

:bootyshake:

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/StarChild/space_level2/apollo11_lem_big.gif

R
07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouUUWpEec0

Iceaxe
07-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Oh yeah.... and I promised the kids they could light off a dozen big ass mortars and artillery shells I picked up in Wyoming last week to celebrate to moon landings........ So now they are happy.......

DiscGo
07-20-2009, 07:29 PM
That video was hilarious Richard!
:roflol:

Win
07-21-2009, 05:10 AM
The night of the landing was really special for me. I watched it with my great grandmother and she told about first hearing of the Wright brothers (she was 32)
and now this. A humbling experience.

Win

JP
07-21-2009, 05:32 AM
I don't remember it, I was only three months and twenty days old :roflol:

Scout Master
07-21-2009, 06:03 AM
From our house in Northern Florida we could see the Apollo 11 rocket shortly after it took off. I was 12 at that time. I remember every one gathered around the old BW TV to watch the moon landing.

CrazyFinn
07-21-2009, 06:51 AM
I think I saw it on a B&W TV as well. Of course there wasn't much color in the scene anyway. It sure was a moment. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
07-21-2009, 08:29 AM
The night of the landing was really special for me. I watched it with my great grandmother and she told about first hearing of the Wright brothers (she was 32) and now this. A humbling experience.

My great grandfather was alive at the time and they landed on the moon on his birthday. I remember he was really excited about that, because he could also remember the Wright Brothers first flight and the Spirt of St. Louis.

I think I saw it on a B&W TV as well. Of course there wasn't much color in the scene anyway. It sure was a moment. :2thumbs:

If I remember correctly Apollo 11 only carried black and white video camera's. The first color video was to have been the all Navy crew of Apollo 12, but they burned up their camera when Bean accidently pointed it at the sun. So there is almost no video of 12. The first color video of the moon was Apollo 14.... I think.....

:popcorn:

James_B_Wads2000
07-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Before I ever posted this I knew James would chime in as one of the non-believers..... You can always tell the kids that watched the movie "Capricorn One" too many times.... But than again.... I also though James would tell me that jet packs and hover bikes that run on water already exist and the automotive industry has joined forces with the oil industry to keep it all a big secret

I guess I didn

Cirrus2000
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I got your sarcasm, James. I guess it helps to know that you're a smart-ass! :haha:

I was 4, and I don't really remember it at all. I do remember, later, having some books about that (and other) missions, and really loved reading them.

The issue of space travel and exploration is a complicated one. I'd love to see us exploring and eventually colonizing further into our solar system, and eventually beyond... The costs involved, though, are huge. However, I believe that there needs to be a continuing effort to do so, something more than recent meager efforts.

Everybody interested in this stuff should read the Bad Astronomy (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/) blog, by Phil Plait. Truly excellent.

DiscGo
07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
I forgot to say anything about it but I knew what you meant James.

Iceaxe
07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
The issue of space travel and exploration is a complicated one. I'd love to see us exploring and eventually colonizing further into our solar system, and eventually beyond... The costs involved, though, are huge. However, I believe that there needs to be a continuing effort to do so, something more than recent meager efforts.

True dat'

But I would have much preferred we spend our 80 billion stimulus money on going to Mars over bailing out the rich..... and I'll argue it would have have done just as much for the economy.... and benefited the future much more..... The short version is the moon shot is a big reason why the US jumped ahead of everyone else.... and the space program employee a lot of people. In the late 60's everyone had a family member or knew someone who was working on going to the moon.

I mean if the feds are going to print money we might as well get a big bang for it...

:rockon:

Cirrus2000
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
But I would have much preferred we spend our 80 billion stimulus money on going to Mars over bailing out the rich..... and I'll argue it would have have done just as much for the economy.... and benefited the future much more.....

:2thumbs: