PDA

View Full Version : Powerline trail (Bountiful Skyline Drive)

BruteForce
07-19-2009, 05:55 PM
So I went riding above Bountiful on the Skyline drive this morning. Got to the staging area just before 0900 and got to the top by 0930.

Decided to hit the rough and difficult powerline trail (south side). Went down just fine, didn't get sideways or wipe out.

Replaced my geocache ammo can at the bottom and enjoyed the views.

Geared up and started my run back up.

If you've never been up there, the hill is very steep and very rocky. Makes for a difficult time walking, let alone riding an ATV.

At any rate, I put it in 4L and 4WD and hit the throttle. Half-way up, I see motorcycles and what appears to be a dune buggy about to come down.

This trail is really rated for one machine, so I hit the brakes, almost flipped over backwards (because the angle) and stopped. Fortunately, the brakes held and I didn't start rolling backwards.

Within a few seconds, two guys on motorcycles (helmets, but no shirts, gloves, etc) ride down (barely), smoke me out (with dust) and proceed to the bottom.

Let me remind you that I'm half-way up a VERY steep hill with my brakes barely holding the machine from rolling down or flipping over.

Next up is another guy with no shirt riding a sport quad (one of those very loud and obnoxious 2 stroke types).

He stops on the way down and says "Need some help". I say to him: "etiquette dictates that you let the guy going up finish going up before coming down. You screwed up my momentum and now I have to roll 150' downhill backwards".

So, I slowly roll backwards down the hill, nearly flipping over at least 3 times and wait for these buttheads to leave the area.

What's with people? :ne_nau:

Reedus
07-19-2009, 06:26 PM
You made the mistake of stopping after starting. If it was me, I'd have kept it pinned and let them figure out how to stay out of your way. The man with the bigger machine always wins...

nelsonccc
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
So I went riding above Bountiful on the Skyline drive this morning. Got to the staging area just before 0900 and got to the top by 0930.

Decided to hit the rough and difficult powerline trail (south side). Went down just fine, didn't get sideways or wipe out.

Replaced my geocache ammo can at the bottom and enjoyed the views.

Geared up and started my run back up.

If you've never been up there, the hill is very steep and very rocky. Makes for a difficult time walking, let alone riding an ATV.

At any rate, I put it in 4L and 4WD and hit the throttle. Half-way up, I see motorcycles and what appears to be a dune buggy about to come down.

This trail is really rated for one machine, so I hit the brakes, almost flipped over backwards (because the angle) and stopped. Fortunately, the brakes held and I didn't start rolling backwards.

Within a few seconds, two guys on motorcycles (helmets, but no shirts, gloves, etc) ride down (barely), smoke me out (with dust) and proceed to the bottom.

Let me remind you that I'm half-way up a VERY steep hill with my brakes barely holding the machine from rolling down or flipping over.

Next up is another guy with no shirt riding a sport quad (one of those very loud and obnoxious 2 stroke types).

He stops on the way down and says "Need some help". I say to him: "etiquette dictates that you let the guy going up finish going up before coming down. You screwed up my momentum and now I have to roll 150' downhill backwards".

So, I slowly roll backwards down the hill, nearly flipping over at least 3 times and wait for these buttheads to leave the area.

What's with people? :ne_nau:

I can't speak for all motorcycle types but that was definately not cool. We always do our best to show proper etiquette. We ran into a few douches this past wknd as well. We're up on the 01, there's a train of about 3 4wheelers and 1 rzr in the front. Generally we are going way faster than the 4wheelers. We typically roll up behind them, wait a sec, rev the engine and they pull over to let us pass. We're careful not to dust them or roost them with rocks. BUT the guy in the rzr, with the rear view mirror, won't move over! I see him look at me in the mirror like 3 times. Nothing. Finally made it around him, but it drove me crazy.

Also what is it with peole who park their 4 wheelers in the middle of the trail? Just sitting there? Dangerous. Though I will say there were several times when 4 wheelers pulled off to allow us the uphill right of way, which was very helpful since we need to keep momentum up those rocky sections also I though the 4wheelers did an excellent job of communicating the group size.

accadacca
07-19-2009, 09:32 PM
:lol8: Sorry. Sounds like some real asshats Brute. :asshat: I would have done the same as mentioned... play chicken. :haha:

I also hate the punks that wont pull over. I'll hang back for a bit and eat dust, but not long. Then I open a can up on there arses...

I have seen very few if any four wheelers that go as fast as us on bikes. Just doesn't happen. :popcorn:

devo_stevo
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
If they don't get out of the way for a dirt bike, imagine what they do to a guy on a mountain bike. I catch these guys all the time coming down the Willard Peak road above Mantua. About 3/4 of the guys just hit the throttle and give you a face full of dust. The others sometimes get out of the way. Morons indeed. :frustrated:

M00km0nster
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I would of kept going, getting momentum going back up is sometimes nearly impossible and very dangerous from a possible back roll. I would of peed on them.