PDA

View Full Version : Man drowns trying to save his 2 sons

DiscGo
07-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Man drowns trying to save his 2 sons
July 19th, 2009 @ 2:45pm
By Paul Nelson
GARFIELD COUNTY -- A man drowned in Upper Barker Lake on Boulder Mountain Saturday while teaching his two sons how to swim.

Garfield County Sheriff's Spokeswoman Becki Bronson says 32-year-old Scott Pederson of St. George was watching his 5-year-old and 7-year-old sons swim in the lake around 11 a.m.

When he saw his boys struggling to stay above the surface because of the cold water, he jumped in to help.

"Pederson, kept the boys' heads above water, realized he too was in trouble and yelled to his father-in-law and brother-in-law, who were on the shore, to come and help," Bronson said.

Bronson says Pederson's father-in-law and brother-in-law were able to get the boys out of the water into a paddle boat, but when they turned to get Pederson, he was gone.

Pederson was a member of the Washington County search and rescue dive team, which found his body about seven hours later. His body was taken to Richfield for an autopsy.

Officials say Pederson likely got caught in a tangle of weeds. The 50 degree water temperature may also have played a part in the drowning.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7217347

DiscGo
07-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I know this isn't ScottP who lives in Colorado but is this Scott Pederson a member of Bogley?

DiscGo
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I really thought we used to have a Scott Pederson on the site. Maybe I am grasping at nothing here, but does this not sound familiar to any of you?

ilanimaka
07-20-2009, 03:29 PM
I remember a Scott on here, but I don't know if it was Scott Pederson or Scott Peterson :ne_nau: & I never knew where he was from. I hope that wasn't him, though.

CarpeyBiggs
07-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Scott P's user name used to be Scott Patterson... I don't recall any Scott Peterson.

Sombeech
07-20-2009, 05:32 PM
dang, that sucks

LOAH
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
That's so sad! It's great that he was able to save the kids, but what was he thinking???

Teaching little kids to swim in cold water?

What's really surprising is that he wasn't able to keep himself up. Wow.

Tragic, all around.

JP
07-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Sad :nod:

CrazyFinn
07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
The cold water thing is disturbing. Not much thought went into it. But it's still sad.