PDA

View Full Version : Good food suggestions for an overnight pack trip

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't want to spend a bunch of money on dehydrated or freeze-dried stuff, and I'm tired of instant oatmeal and instant potato packets. So, what I'm looking for are some good ideas for meals for an overnight trip. I want to eat good without getting spendy or having to carry the whole kitchen on my back.

Alex
07-19-2009, 09:40 AM
It sounds like you want your cake and eat it too! :nono:

On a serious note, I always used Mountain Houses. If you don't want to spend the money you could freeze your own foods. What we do on rafting trips now is cook eggs/sausage for example at home. Then seal pack it in a bag and freeze it. Then when the time comes to eat, just throw the bag into boiling water and you have a fresh breakfast.

If you are carrying it in a backpack, you could get ice packs to keep the food frozen.

If you don't want dehydrated foods, get ready to carry a lot more weight (ice). Another option of course are the cans. That was the choice for backpackers before the commercial MREs/dehydrated packs came out.

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2009, 09:53 AM
It sounds like you want your cake and eat it too! :nono:

On a serious note, I always used Mountain Houses. If you don't want to spend the money you could freeze your own foods. What we do on rafting trips now is cook eggs/sausage for example at home. Then seal pack it in a bag and freeze it. Then when the time comes to eat, just throw the bag into boiling water and you have a fresh breakfast.

If you are carrying it in a backpack, you could get ice packs to keep the food frozen.

If you don't want dehydrated foods, get ready to carry a lot more weight (ice). Another option of course are the cans. That was the choice for backpackers before the commercial MREs/dehydrated packs came out.

So, how long are the frozen things good for? Do you keep them on ice? I guess I do want my cake and eat it too. I'd even like the backpacking equivalent of a dutch oven, without the weight. :haha:

UTJetdog
07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
This site has many ideas for packing food you can assemble from things you can buy in the grocery store:

LINK (http://www.trailcooking.com/taxonomy/term/7%2B8)

uintahiker
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I always like the noodles & butter. Throw in a few spices & MMM MMM!

DOSS
07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Beef Jerky, Cliff bars, Crackers, a chunk of cheese and a beef stick. I can live on this for 4-5 days with no problems and you don't need to carry a stove :)

oh yes and some trail mix of some sort

Wasatch Rebel
07-24-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Mtnman1830
07-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Just for an overnight, it wouldn't be hard. Leave the stove at home, take crackers, cheese and hard salami for dinner, and a bananna and bagel for breakfast.

Dont forget trail mix.

Wasatch Rebel
07-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Just for an overnight, it wouldn't be hard. Leave the stove at home, take crackers, cheese and hard salami for dinner, and a bananna and bagel for breakfast.

Dont forget trail mix.

We had originally planned on one night, but now we will be gone for two nights, probably beginning early on a Thursday and coming home after lunch sometime on Saturday. Trail mix is always on my shopping list though. And I like your other ideas as well.

dakotabelliston
10-21-2016, 07:08 PM
I've watched friends buy a burrito at the local eatery and eatbitb the next day on Saturday hiking trip without any refrigeration. Not sure how safe it is but they have always been fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

phatch
10-23-2016, 01:01 PM
For an overnight, this idea has always appealed to me but I've never tried it.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/recipes/chicken-in-a-backpack-with-dian-thomas

Maybe just better for a hot lucnh on an autumn day hike.

J
04-21-2017, 11:41 PM

Dont forget trail mix.
Y
ou carn't go wrong, easy, light and tasty

kiwi_outdoors
04-23-2017, 06:01 PM
for diner, dry pasta, one red onion diced fresh, dried tomatoes, spices,some salami etc

pan fry onion in olive oil, then add cut salami and dried tomatoes and any other odds and ends

mix with freshly cooked strained pasta

i did this one evg on the flank of mt Shasta, I cooked for two

adivbail
04-23-2017, 10:21 PM
for diner, dry pasta, one red onion diced fresh, dried tomatoes, spices,some salami etc

pan fry onion in olive oil, then add cut salami and dried tomatoes and any other odds and ends

mix with freshly cooked strained pasta

i did this one evg on the flank of mt Shasta, I cooked for two

Here is a list of food we can take and also these food are good to carry during trekking. I found this food list when i was searching for the same on internet.
trail mix.
nuts, seeds, nut-based bars or nut butter packs.
dried or freeze-dried fruits and veggies.
energy bars, chews or gels.
granola or granola bars.
ready-made tuna salad pouches.
whole-grain tortillas.
poultry, salmon or meat jerky.

oldno7
04-18-2019, 02:23 PM
I often use a thermos to take cream soup with me. It is quite nutritious and overnight the soup will not deteriorate and will be hot.

Rockgremlin has a platinum thermos, do you have a platinum thermos?:ne_nau:

spades
11-11-2019, 10:25 PM
What I normally do is I have a mini stove (it's portable and light) if you have that then you can copy what I do. I first add uncooked rice in boiling water while adding some bacon / spam, add some soy sauce , little bit of lemon , pepper and salt. You now have a hot soup..instead of eating oatmeal but If don't want to cook my go to is just crackers and instant soup/ramen (just add some water)

Chaisson
10-25-2021, 04:50 AM
I love to have a burger and waffles for an overnight in Hashtag Burgers & Waffles in Fortitude Valley. They offer a massive variety of types of burgers, including the best chicken burger Brisbane (https://www.hashtagburgersandwaffles.com.au/), beef burgers, vegetarian burger, sides and desserts!

oldno7
10-25-2021, 05:26 AM
mmmm---freeze dried burgers and waffles:slobber: washed down with freeze dried beer.:boozer: