PDA

View Full Version : So a Costco worker dropped a book case on me......

shlingdawg
07-16-2009, 05:49 PM
and now I'm wondering if I signed away my rights.

Long story short - I went to Costco today to pick up one of those double bookcases they have and I asked one of the workers to help me load it up on the flat cart.

The top box had already been opened, so I didn't want to get it home and find out it was missing pieces, so I asked him to help me put the one on top down on the floor so we could put the next one down on my cart.

Since it was up about 12 deep, it was kind of high, but I didn't think much of it. I asked him if he had his end and was ready "yup". I said, "are you sure?" "Yup" said the worker. I had my end off the stack and he was dragging his end off and when it was time for him to use some muscle - he dropped it right to the floor. This caused me to lose the grip on my end and the entire box came down on my ankle. I went down, landed on my BlackBerry and cursed.

My ankle was already selling and bleeding. He went over and got the manager who came with a clipboard and some paperwork. I filled it out with what happened and there was a spot on there to claim if I was going to seek medical care or not. Since it didn't feel broken and I could walk and everything I said no on that question.

Did I sign away my rights to have them pick up the cost of the office visit since I said no if I end up going in to have them check it out?

Just wondering.

Scott Card
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't think you waived anything or any right from what you described. I would have to see what you signed to give you a "real" legal opinion but simply saying you don't think you needed a doctor is such a man answer but rarely believed and certainly shouldn't constitute a waiver of your claims, if any. It is like telling a police officer you are not hurt at the scene of an accident and then realizing that you are not doing well a couple of hours later and then going to the doctor. I see "no injuries" written in police reports all the time with my auto accident cases. Sometimes insurance companies will try to use that against someone but if they treat (go to a doctor) within a day or so of the accident, the argument holds little if any weight.

You may want to call Costco back and just tell them that you will be seeing a doctor if you think you are going to. Don't put that off if you need a doctor.

shlingdawg
07-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the peace of mind Scott. I still don't think it's broken, but it's hurting worse and worse. Still debating a visit to the clinic.

I guess I ought to do it before too long though.

Last Child
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Okay, I know this is going to come off assholish but did you READ what you signed? Did it say in there that you are waving your rights? If you did read it then you should already know the answer to this question. Should you not?

This is a huge problem most people fall into these days. Not reading what your signing. I can't say how many times people have got mad at me for wanting to read stuff before I sign it. I have also have, on many occasions, had disagreements with clients on billing, charging interest, filing liens on their property when they don't pay me and charging them for it, etc. etc. When I tell them to go get the contract and they finally read it they feel quite stupid. I had one guy try to argue that I tricked him? "How?" I asked. "I mailed this to you. You had it for several days before signing it and it's right there in black and white. And you signed it?" He hung up on me but I did get paid in full with interest and the lien removal fee to the tone of aprox. $400.

Never ever sign anything without fully reading it and never sign anything after possibly being hurt by someone else. Insurance companies are real keen to this tactic.

R
07-17-2009, 06:35 AM
You are not actually required to sign anything some manager hands to you and tells you to sign. If they try to bully you into it, call 911.

(I know. Barn door closed, horse nowhere in sight.)

uintahiker
07-17-2009, 01:52 PM
We need pictures. They would help this thread out a whole lot!