PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Ride Invite in Logan Canyon Saturday 7/18

neilether
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
We're riding the Bunchgrass Trail in Logan Canyon Saturday morning if anybody is interested in joining us. Let me know. Details here:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/bunchgrass.htm

benlittle
07-18-2009, 06:59 AM
I can't make it up there today but I would definitely be down to do that another time.

qschroeder
07-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I obviously missed your ride, but if you're ever going on a future ride around Logan let me know. I'm still honing my riding skills so if it's a more advanced ride I'd have to pass for fear of holding you up and/or maiming myself. But if you'd like to show someone the ropes, I'm your man!

What are some good rides in the Logan area?

cachehiker
07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
I would've gone if it weren't for the TdF. :blahblah: Some excuse that is, isn't it?

Anyway, I go car free most Fridays and when I follow that with hanging out at the local pub until the stage finish at 9 PM, there ain't no way I'm going to have my last beer finished, wobble another 6 miles uphill on the bike, and be in bed early enough to meet at 6:30 in the blessed AM.

I don't have a wife so I don't have to be back in time for the obligatory honey-do's. :haha:

neilether
07-22-2009, 10:34 AM
We had a good ride Saturday morning and temps were very nice at 7:30 am at 8000 feet! With the wet spring the weeds were much taller than usual, which slowed us down a little on the windier parts of the descent. This is a great ride for anybody that happens to be in Logan Canyon (or Bear Lake). It's about 2.5 miles of uphill (not too steep) followed by 9 miles of sweet downhill.

neilether
07-22-2009, 10:36 AM
but if you're ever going on a future ride around Logan let me know. I'm still honing my riding skills so if it's a more advanced ride I'd have to pass for fear of holding you up and/or maiming myself. But if you'd like to show someone the ropes, I'm your man!

What are some good rides in the Logan area?

Some great beginner rides Green Canyon and the River Trail. They're the easiest both aerobically and technically. There are many more options up Logan Canyon and The Race Course at Sherwood Hills is really fun too. We usually try to ride Green Canyon once a week (at least....). Let me know when you have a free evening and I'll see if I can join you.

neilether
07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Here's another good shot of White Pine Lake.....

devo_stevo
07-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Looks like you had a great time. Wish I could have made it, but I just couldn't do it. Too much going on at home and had to help my brother-in-law move. Let me know when you go next time though. I liked that ride that last time I did it. You left out the best part though. The ride back up the road to the car at Tony Grove. :ne_nau:

Sombeech
07-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow, looks like a gorgeous trail :2thumbs:

neilether
07-23-2009, 07:19 AM
You left out the best part though. The ride back up the road to the car at Tony Grove. :ne_nau:

Yeah, that was definitely on purpose. The slog back up the road on your bike is no fun!

devo_stevo
07-23-2009, 07:40 AM
The slog back up the road on your bike is no fun!

I actually kind of liked it. I'm weird that way though. I'd like to ride it on my road bike one of these days from Logan and back.

cachehiker
07-23-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd like to ride it on my road bike one of these days from Logan and back.

If it weren't for the shoulderless dugway between the twin bridges, I would consider doing that myself. There are just some roads combined with certain drivers that simply frighten me.

devo_stevo
07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Agreed. That's mostly what keeps me from doing it too. I've heard though that at certain times of the year, the traffic is light enough to not be too much trouble. Think EARLY spring. Don't know how true that is though.

neilether
07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I've ridden my road bike up Logan Canyon, but I refuse to go past the turnoff at Right Hand Fork where the canyon gets narrow. Just not worth it to me. Too many semis and huge trucks pulling boats for my comfort......Maybe if you started at 5:30 am on a random weekday it might be ok.

A better option for me would be to park my car at the bottom of the Tony Grove road and then ride my road bike up to Beaver Mountain and back for a little warm-up and then tackle the 7 miles of hell to Tony Grove.

cachehiker
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
One of these days I'll be riding the canyon from east to west. At least there's a foot of shoulder and you're going downhill through the dugway that way. Eliminates most nutballs towing boats trying to squeeze around you at the same time you're approaching a blind corner at a blazing speed of around 10-12 mph.

devo_stevo
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok, so I went and rode from Bear Lake to the turn to Beaver Mountain. It was a great ride. My only gripe was that as soon as you got to the top and started down, the shoulder all but disappeared and what was there was dangerous to ride on. Lot's of campers and boats and such.

It wasn't too bad because I didn't go that far down the canyon, but I might consider next time riding up the the summit and being picked up there at the Limber Pine trailhead.

Oh and the climb up out of Bear Lake is awesome BTW. Not too long, but steep and pretty steady climbing all the way up between 4 and 11% according to the Garmin.