PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram 2500 front-end shop recommendations

BruteForce
07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm in the Salt Lake City area (south end) and am looking for a decent shop to do front-end work on my 2008 Ram 2500.

Specific items I need done are:

- Tie Rod End Kit
- Upper Ball Joints
- Right Lower Control Arm
- Steering shock
- Steering Int shafts

Ideally, I need something better than OEM and be able to do this in phases to break up the spend.

If you have recommendations on reputable shops, please advise.

I've done business with Pauls Automotive & 4x4 in the past (mostly Z28 Camaro work, no 4x4) and they've done a moderate job.

fourtycal
07-07-2009, 07:23 AM
I have had Intermountain Transmission do some front end work on company trucks 801-487-0092.

BruteForce
07-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Just before purchasing my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 (i6 6.7L Turbo Diesel), I took it to Larry H. Miller Dodge in Sandy. I saw a few dents on the lower suspension and wanted to determine if there were other issues before committing to a purchase.

At the time, they quoted about $1200 in repairs for all four ball joints (upper / lower, left and right side), and outer tie rod ends. Considering the deal I was getting on the truck ($24000), I thought $1200 in front-end work would still be a bargain.

The odd thing was, the front tires showed no signs of wear, the ride was fine (until about 75mph, where it would shake a bit) and there was no obvious indication of front-end problems.

On Monday (at 7am), I dropped the truck back off at Larry H. Miller to effect the repair work. Around 2pm, LHM phoned me (Service advisor = Jim) and indicated that the price was now up to $2500 and pretty much the entire front-end needed to be replaced (shocks, control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc..). I said, No-Thanks and recovered my truck.

Yesterday, I decided to get a second opinion and took the truck to Les Schwab Tire & Service Center (Taylorsville). After 10 minutes of inspecting, the two mechanics walked me over to the truck, showed me how they inspected and indicated that no front-end work was needed. They said, there was a little play in the ball joints, but that was normal for stock Dodge parts.

Now that the founder is dead (Larry H. Miller), are they becoming so desperate for revenue that they would lie to generate short-term gains in service fees by losing a customer for life (long-term)?

Udink
07-09-2009, 06:52 AM
That sounds pretty typical of a dealership. I had a similar issue with Legacy Auto Group in Orem, where they told me there was a hole in one of the pistons and that I needed a new engine ($3,500). I got a second opinion at an independent diesel shop here in Price, and it turned out to just need a new $20 glow plug.

trackrunner
07-09-2009, 08:12 AM
The odd thing was, the front tires showed no signs of wear, the ride was fine (until about 75mph, where it would shake a bit) and there was no obvious indication of front-end problems.

Heard this can be a common problem on the Dodge Ram. Same thing happens sometimes with my father's Ram (1500). You can blame crappie decision making on Daimler AG for this shaking and vibration to be allowed.

Now that the founder is dead (Larry H. Miller), are they becoming so desperate for revenue that they would lie to generate short-term gains in service fees by losing a customer for life (long-term)?

I had the same type of run in even while he was still alive. I called around and found someone that was willing to do the same job for under half of what LHM auto group mechanics would charge. Called LHM back and said hell no, you are over charging me. In my contract when I dropped off the car they had the right to match it and did, but I've never been back since.

I think dealers in general play on the customer's ignorance when it comes servicing the car.