PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Moab Bogley Fest - Nov 6-8, 2009

moab mark
07-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Moab Bogleyfest - November 6-8, 2009
Friday - Saturday - Sunday
Meet at 8:00 a.m.

We will meet in the parking lot 1/2 mile north of the Colorado River on Highway 191 (1.5 miles south of the entrance to Arches National Park).

At our morning meeting we will divide up into groups for different routes. Most of the popular routes will be offered at least twice over the weekend. Ropes and webbing are always a welcome contribution to the groups.

Come prepared with a lunch and water for a full day.

Diner
Thrusday - Moab Brewery 5:00 pm
Friday - Fiesta Mexicana 7:00 pm
Saturday - ZAC's Dinner and Utah game. Game starts at 4:00 pm so I'm sure some will be there at that time. Not sure what time diiner is planned.

Camping
Some of those camping are planning on camping out Sand Flats (Slickrock bike trail). Sand flats is east of town.Turn east at the Phillips 66, find Dave's Corner Market go east at Dave's and follow that road up the hill.

Update Nov 2nd.
As previously discussed we were going to meet at the parking lot of 128/191. They are using that lot for the building of the new bridge. So we are now going to meet at the lot North of the bridge. The one at the mouth of Courthouse Wash. Meet there each morning at 8:00 am. and we will divide up and hit the trail.

I was in moab last weekend and there was more water in Rock of Ages then I have ever seen. Two of the pools were crotch deep and cold. So come prepared to wade thru some water.

I have talked with several of the resturants in town and we will have not trouble getting group seating. I plan on having a meeting place for both nights. Moab Brewery or Fiesta Mexicana friday night and probably Zac's on Saturday. For those that want to watch the Utah game Zac's will let us have the whole patio area which has several TV's. They have the mtn. Unless something else comes up see you friday morning at the parking lot. Come prepared to hit the trail by 8:30, lunch etc.

Mark

Update Oct 27th.

Things are looking up in regards to route leaders. :2thumbs: Do to the increase in support I will be able to put together a more detailed itinerary.

This will help me to narrow down the routes if everyone could post what are the two or three canyons your are most interested in doing.
You can go to Climb-Utah.com and Deserthighlights.com to check out most all of the routes.

Update on Oct 19th.

Listed below are those that have responded and plan on attending. Unless otherwise listed I am planning on you for all 3 days. Looks like we have about 20 or so coming.

A.J. & Jen
Accadacca Friday-Saturday morning
CarpeyBiggs
Deeps
French De + 4
Ice Axe and Mrs Ice
Intrepid XJ
Moab Mark +1
Rob L.
RockGremlin
Ststephen
Trailrunner + 1
Wasatch
Renshiwo + 1.7
ScoutColorado + 1
Horsevaulter + 1?
I am sure there are several more wanting to attend. As well as several I have missed. I will be trying to put names to routes on this Friday. If you want in let me know by Friday.

If someone wants to pick a campsite for the campers please let me know, Sand Flats etc. If someone wants to organize a Sat night gathering also let me know. If no one steps up on a gathering I will call several of the resturants in town and see what group settings they have.
I will be staying at Canyonlands Best Western.

Mark

Read below before asking questions:

Important! There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Most Moab area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a shortie wetsuit is required as a minimum. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: We need several folks to bring ropes.

Group Motel:
Aarchway 435-259-2599
http://www.aarchwayinn.com/
Has a nice BBQ area and you can pull around back and meet on the big grassy area.

I made a few phone calls
Aarchway $79
Super 8 $109
Bighorn $69
Those are some of the prices around town for November. I am surprised Aarchway was at $79.

Moab Mark (Mark & Kim) -Aarchway
Ice Axe (Shane & Shauna)- ???

Group Campsite:
I would recommend Sand Flats. Pick a couple of the spots right by Baby Lions Back. Close to town and can hop on your bike and hit the slickrock trail easily.
The last Bogley group stayed at Big Bend by Corona Arch. That would also work.

Those Camping
Wasatch-John

Proposed Routes:
Big Horn
Dragonfly Canyon
Elephant Butte
Entrajo Canyon
Granary Canyon
Lomatium
Rock of Ages
U-Turn
Onion Creek
Krill

Other Options:
Cameltoe
Medieval Chamber
Pleiades (probably snowed in by November)
Tierdrop Canyon

Information on all the routes listed above can be found here:

Moab and Arches NP Routes
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/index.htm

Sign-up: As people list a canyon I will post it below. When we have an idea of how many want to do what then well see who will lead etc.

Elephant Butte
Iceaxe
Mrs. iceaxe
Abirken
Blueeyes
Deeps & buddy
BC-Skier-Bette & Buddy
RockGremlin

Rock of Ages
Moab Mark
Neilether
Jman+4
RockGremlin

Lomatium
Moab Mark
Deeps & buddy
Neilether-Neil

Krill
Moab Mark
Rockgremlin

Or Lomatium/Krill shortcut
Moab Mark
jman+4
BC-Skier-Bette & Buddy

U-Turn
Moab Mark
Wasatch
Abirken
Blueeyes
Deeps & buddy

Granary
Wasatch
Deeps & buddy
Rockgremlin

Entrajo
Wasatch

Dragonfly
Deeps & buddy
Wasatch
Abirken

Cameltoe
Wasatch

Onion Creek
IntrepidXJ-Randy
Jman+4
Rob L.

Any Canyon
Sombeech-Justin
Ryebrye
Utah Adventure Guide-Chris
Trailrunner-Shaun?
Carolednalena-Carol
Accadacca
A.J. & Jen
Alliej
Rob L.

Jeep/Bike/Hike
IntrepidXJ
Win

If you could also include your name Ill list them also.

If you see an error let me know.

A Note from Ice....

If there are non-techy people who want to join that is not a problem. Onion Creek is a great slot canyon and does not require technical skills. There are both tech routes and hiker routes in Onion Creek.

Most the "Canyons" around Moab are more what I call routes and not your traditional long slot canyons. The routes are really fun. Most the routes are beginner friendly with competent leadership.

For those wanting to experience a true southwest slot canyon than Onion Creek is your target. Entrajo is also a true slot but kinda short. Similar to Keyhole and Zero-G.

I'm pretty sure Pleiades will be out of season during the Bogleyfest as the trailhead is at 9000' elevation (higher than Snowbird or Alta). If a group wants to give it a try they will need drysuits or full 5mm wetsuits.

Dragonfly has two short swims of about 10' each. The swims are back-to-back. I usually skip the wet suit, and just strip down, blast through, dry off and continue. Any wetsuit (full, shortie, ect) should be good enough to get you through. A warm fleece to put on after the potholes is probably more important than a wetsuit.

Entrajo has water and will require wetsuits.

Rock of Ages can have some wading but I've only seen it dry.

Cameltoe often has a waist deep wade of 15'. Again, I just strip down, blast through and warm up on the far side. I've done this route using this method in a snow storm and was fine.

Most the routes in Moab are short (1/2 day or less) so you will normally do a couple different ones each day.

Granary is the one route on the list that is a full day.

Bear Grills was "stuck" in Fry Canyon. That canyon is 2.5 to 3 hours away. If folks want to do that canyon someone should plan a Cedar Mesa Bogleyfest. Fry canyon is next door to some great routes including The Black Hole, Cheesebox, Gravel, Short, Duckett, and a bunch more...

:rockon:

Iceaxe
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I think the hot young wife and I would be interested. And I could help with a couple of routes, my first choice being Elephant Butte because that is my favorite Moab route.

My only concern at the moment is the schedule of my football team. The only way this would interfere is if we go deep into the playoffs and even than I might be OK. I'll have my teams schedule dialed in by the end of August.

:popcorn:

moab mark
07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
If you want to come list what canyons you would like to do. I will keep a list to see where people want to go. Then well narrow it down. Shane email me on how to get into the first post. So I can make changes as we go. Or if there is a better way to do it?
Need to add Krill to the list.

It looks like I can just edit the first post. Is that the best way to do it?
Mark

Iceaxe
07-02-2009, 02:29 PM
It looks like I can just edit the first post. Is that the best way to do it?

Yup.... you have the ability to edit the first post and that is the best way I know of to keep things organized.

Just keep the first post current with everything important so that is the only post folks need to look at... this thread will probably grow to 20 or 30 pages and I hate for folks to have to dig through that mess. If the first post contains everything important you are golden.

:2thumbs:

Sombeech
07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I'll try to make yet another bogleyfest, really, I'll try to make this one.

Wasatch
07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I've done Big Horn and Tierdrop, in the Moab area. I will be coming in late on the 7th Friday night, so I would be interested in doing 2-3 short canyons on Saturday, or a mid/long canyon on Saturday, and a short canyon on Sunday, with that said, I'm interested in:

Dragonfly
Entrajo
Granary
U-Turn
Cameltoe

Would also be interested in, any beta on these out there?:

Krill
Lomatium

Also, more interested in a Group Campsite/Potluck.

abirken
07-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd love to make this trip happen! Nice to have something closer to me. :nod: So I'd like to do:

Elephant Butte
Dragonfly
U-turn
Honestly, I don't have a huge preference for canyons.....but I like them short and sweet. :)

Thank you very much for organizing and will look forward to getting a room booked soon.

IntrepidXJ
07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a good weekend for me to head to Moab to actually meet some of you.

However, I doubt I'll be doing any canyoneering.....but I can bring my Jeep and bike and maybe do some hiking, too...

Ryebrye
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
As of now, you can count on me and Chris (Utah Adventure Guide) - if things change I'll keep you posted.

I want to find the canyon that Bear grills was "stuck" in so I too can make the genius decision to swim under a log jam half way, then turn around, then swim under it fully.

Are there any 4B canyons in the Moab area? Any 4B III or 4B IV would make me happy. If no 4B's, 3C's or 32 DD, whatever

moab mark
07-02-2009, 09:22 PM
As of now, you can count on me and Chris (Utah Adventure Guide) - if things change I'll keep you posted.

I want to find the canyon that Bear grills was "stuck" in so I too can make the genius decision to swim under a log jam half way, then turn around, then swim under it fully.

Are there any 4B canyons in the Moab area? Any 4B III or 4B IV would make me happy. If no 4B's, 3C's or 32 DD, whatever

The canyons are closer to 2A's then 4B's but I'll put you on the list. :2thumbs:

nelsonccc
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Count me and a few others in. But only if we can get the original Uutah posse rolling strong. What do you say Mike, Justin, Shane, Alex, and Adam? I've never done anything in Moab so I'm open to suggestion.

blueeyes
07-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Count me in. Bringing my bike. Would like to do a short sweet canyon. Maybe U-turn or Elephant Butte.

Deeps
07-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Suh-weet.

I'm most interested in Elephant Butte and U-Turn.

Anyone want to do anything in the Fiery Furnace? I've done the ranger thing once and gone through solo a few times, but I'd like to see 'more' of it.

depending on what days things happen on I'd also do Dragonfly, Granery, and the Bear Grills death hollow.

Please put me and an out of town buddy down for the above.

moab mark
07-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Suh-weet.

I'm most interested in Elephant Butte and U-Turn.

Anyone want to do anything in the Fiery Furnace? I've done the ranger thing once and gone through solo a few times, but I'd like to see 'more' of it.

depending on what days things happen on I'd also do Dragonfly, Granery, and the Bear Grills death hollow.

Please put me and an out of town buddy down for the above.

As far as I know the Bear Grillis death hollow is down around Fry Canyon. Several hours one way from Moab.
If there is a big enough group that wants to head down there we can list it but I have no idea where exactly he filmed it.

Scout Master
07-03-2009, 07:58 AM
You picked the WORST possible weekend, for me that is.
Oh well Have fun!

Iceaxe
07-03-2009, 08:49 AM
A few thoughts....

If there are non-techy people who want to join that is not a problem. Onion Creek is a great slot canyon and does not require technical skills. There are both tech routes and hiker routes in Onion Creek.

Most the "Canyons" around Moab are more what I call routes and not your traditional long slot canyons. The routes are really fun. Most the routes are beginner friendly with competent leadership.

For those wanting to experience a true southwest slot canyon than Onion Creek is your target. Entrajo is also a true slot but kinda short. Similar to Keyhole and Zero-G.

I'm pretty sure Pleiades will be out of season during the Bogleyfest as the trailhead is at 9000' elevation (higher than Snowbird or Alta). If a group wants to give it a try they will need drysuits or full 5mm wetsuits.

Dragonfly has two short swims of about 10' each. The swims are back-to-back. I usually skip the wet suit, and just strip down, blast through, dry off and continue. Any wetsuit (full, shortie, ect) should be good enough to get you through. A warm fleece to put on after the potholes is probably more important than a wetsuit.

Entrajo has water and will require wetsuits.

Rock of Ages can have some wading but I've only seen it dry.

Cameltoe often has a waist deep wade of 15'. Again, I just strip down, blast through and warm up on the far side. I've done this route using this method in a snow storm and was fine.

Most the routes in Moab are short (1/2 day or less) so you will normally do a couple different ones each day.

Granary is the one route on the list that is a full day.

Bear Grills was "stuck" in Fry Canyon. That canyon is 2.5 to 3 hours away. If folks want to do that canyon someone should plan a Cedar Mesa Bogleyfest. Fry canyon is next door to some great routes including The Black Hole, Cheesebox, Gravel, Short, Duckett, and a bunch more...

:cool2:

Deeps
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Mark.

Will you add a placeholder for me to bring a non-Bogley buddy along on the routes? (I know they're not real routes yet, just interests, but I don't want to get the shaft)... Thanks.

trackrunner
07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd be game for anything. Elephant Butte, Medival, Rock of Ages, Krill, Dragon fly, Tier Drop, Big Horn, really anything I'd be good for.

Since IntrepidXJ says he'll be 4X4 that weekend, any routes he can shuttle for us. :haha:

Ryebrye
07-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Would pliedes be flowing in november? Assuming an adequately equipped group (dry suits etc) would ice be an issue?

I've thought for a while of doing canyons with icey approaches and water not quite frozen, but I havent figured out how to mix crampons with drysuits... one slight trip might lead to a cold bady day :)

I wish I had known about onion creek earlier :) I was burning up in devils garden yesterday :)

IntrepidXJ
07-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd be game for anything. Elephant Butte, Medival, Rock of Ages, Krill, Dragon fly, Tier Drop, Big Horn, really anything I'd be good for.

Since IntrepidXJ says he'll be 4X4 that weekend, any routes he can shuttle for us. :haha:

sure....but my Jeep only has 2 front seats ;)

I might be interested in Onion Creek since it sounds like that's not technical

moab mark
07-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Would pliedes be flowing in november? Assuming an adequately equipped group (dry suits etc) would ice be an issue?

I've thought for a while of doing canyons with icey approaches and water not quite frozen, but I havent figured out how to mix crampons with drysuits... one slight trip might lead to a cold bady day :)

I wish I had known about onion creek earlier :) I was burning up in devils garden yesterday :)

Have tried to do it once the end of October, and the year earlier on Thanksgiving. Both times had a small icy film everywhere. SCARRRRYYYY. One time was 55 in moab and my truck mirror said 29 when we got there. BRRRRRR. The elevation is high. The flow is very low, rainsuits would be plenty.

So who knows?

Mark

neilether
07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
That should work for me. I'm interested in doing Rock of Ages (for old time's sake) as well as Lomatium. Thanks for setting this up!

Sombeech
07-06-2009, 11:56 PM
We've gotta post a link to this in the biking, hiking, 4x4 and ATV sections as well. :2thumbs:

moab mark
07-07-2009, 06:28 AM
We've gotta post a link to this in the biking, hiking, 4x4 and ATV sections as well. :2thumbs:

Sounds good to me, if you could link it for me I would appreciate it. I would lead an afternoon jeep run up the Moab Rim. Or even better I'd lead a shorter version of Hells Revenge or Fins and Things in the dark. :nod:

Mark

carolednalena
07-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Wow this sounds like fun! This will be my first Bogleyfest Count me in Carol

Win
07-07-2009, 07:21 AM
We usually take a Fall vacation and this might work out. I'd bring the Jeep and probably do a trail or two along with some hiking.

Win

neilether
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I've done most of the known mountain bike trails down there multiple times and would be willing to lead a ride or two.......

IntrepidXJ
07-07-2009, 09:26 AM
I took the Friday off from work today.....but I also found out I need to pickup my girlfriend from the airport that Sunday.....so it looks like I will only be there Fri-Sat. Maybe do something quick Sunday morning before leaving ;)

jman
07-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Mark,

count me in as well as 4 buddies of mine for:

-Lomatium/Krill
-Rock of Ages
-Onion Creek (with time permitting on Sunday)
and basic 5.9 climbing at Wall Street.

also, just curious about Hells Revenge. I have a '96 XJ, 7" lift with 33x12.5 tires, and consider myself a "advanced" amateur when it comes to offroading and always wanted to do this. U said you would consider it leading it. Is it really worth it for Hell's Revenge to bring my Jeep down to Moab?. Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking for ass-whooping on the Jeep, just a challenge & awesome ride.... what ya think?

IntrepidXJ
07-08-2009, 06:13 AM
also, just curious about Hells Revenge. I have a '96 XJ, 7" lift with 33x12.5 tires, and consider myself a "advanced" amateur when it comes to offroading and always wanted to do this. U said you would consider it leading it. Is it really worth it for Hell's Revenge to bring my Jeep down to Moab?. Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking for ass-whooping on the Jeep, just a challenge & awesome ride.... what ya think?

Hell's Revenge can be run in a stock Jeep...

But it is a cool trail and would be worth it ifyou have never run it before

moab mark
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Mark,

count me in as well as 4 buddies of mine for:

-Lomatium/Krill
-Rock of Ages
-Onion Creek (with time permitting on Sunday)
and basic 5.9 climbing at Wall Street.

I would only be doing Hells or Fins in the dark. We only hit the best 30 minutes to an hour of these two trails. But if we also hit Moab Rim one afternoon then yea. The Rim is the best trail in town. Short, fun and sweet. If you have never done either fins or hells in the dark well it gives it all a whole new experience. :haha: But whether I would bring a vehicle just for that your call. Plus we are along ways out so who knows.

Mark

bc-skier
07-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Sounds great. Count me and a buddy in. Especially want to join the Elephant Butte and Lomatium/Krill groups. Bette

rockgremlin
07-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Count me and a few others in. But only if we can get the original Uutah posse rolling strong. What do you say Mike, Justin, Shane, Alex, and Adam? I've never done anything in Moab so I'm open to suggestion.

I dunno.....I don't think I can swing this trip - it's too long of a drive for me. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Count me in on this trip. I've got most of the Moab routes memorized so I'm willing to help out where I can.

rockgremlin
07-13-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm interested in Krill and whatever else. I'd like to stay out of water in November though, so maybe Elephant, RofA or Granary.

accadacca
07-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I would like to come. I have put it on my calendar and will keep tabs on this thread as plan develop. :popcorn:

Iceaxe
07-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd like to stay out of water in November though

PUSSY!!!!! :lol8:

:five:

AJ
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
My girlfriend, Jen, and I would like to join the festivities. I've only done a few Moab canyons, and that was a while ago; so I'm game for any of them. Mostly just interested in the canyons, as I've already biked most of the trails there several times. I'd be game to do more than one canyon per day as well, as the Moab ones I've done previously were pretty short...

Jen is experienced enough where we will likely be able to do any of the canyons; including moving water. We have enough water protection; so just let us know the game plan.

(Would love to join up with you Rock or Shane. It's been a long time!)

Likely I'll drive my Jeep Grand Cherokee down there, so I'll have adequate clearance for getting to/from places.

See everyone soon!
A.J.

Sombeech
08-08-2009, 11:43 PM
http://www.breaktaker.com/albums/pictures/signs/Bump.jpg

alliej
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey Moab Mark!

I have done some canyoneering, and would love to do more. I've done Fry Canyon a couple times, the Black Hole, and just one Moab route - Ephedra's Grotto and Morning Glory Arch. I'm also an experienced sport climber....

Being able to join a group of canyoneers who know the area seems to good to be true??!?!!????

Allie

stefan
08-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Being able to join a group of canyoneers who know the area seems to good to be true??!?!!????

ahh ... so there IS truth on the internet after all :haha:

'tis true. there are many here who facilitate group events. it's a great way to learn, ensure safety, and meet people ... oh yeah, and have a good time doing some canyons

alliej
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
That's phenomenal!!!! Wow, I'm stoked.... definitely count me in. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to it

moab mark
08-10-2009, 06:48 AM
That's phenomenal!!!! Wow, I'm stoked.... definitely count me in. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to it

I added you to the list. See you in November. :2thumbs:

Mark

Rob L
09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I mentioned in another thread (http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18535) that I was thinking of suffering the 11-hour flight to see Utah again, and this thread prompted me to book the flights today :smile:

So if I may, and if you'll have me, I'd like to join you guys for a few days in a slot or two in Moab. I'm a reasonably experienced hiker in slots but a total newbie when it comes to the technical stuff, so I'll get some abseiling lessons before I come out. Comments about kit are noted too.

I'd certainly like to do Onion Creek, but apart from that I'm open to suggestions, hopefully without too much deep water due to not wishing to bulk out my flight bags with wetsuits. I like short trips at this time of year, I think.

I fly into Vegas on the 1st > drive to southern Utah, so I'll be around the Kanab area for the first few days, with possibly a stop at HITR or Canyonlands (depending on which road I take) on the drive to Moab.

For background, I'm reasonably fit, 46, like real ale, and this'll be my 31st trip to the States.

Rob

moab mark
09-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I mentioned in another thread (http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18535) that I was thinking of suffering the 11-hour flight to see Utah again, and this thread prompted me to book the flights today :smile:

So if I may, and if you'll have me, I'd like to join you guys for a few days in a slot or two in Moab. I'm a reasonably experienced hiker in slots but a total newbie when it comes to the technical stuff, so I'll get some abseiling lessons before I come out. Comments about kit are noted too.

I'd certainly like to do Onion Creek, but apart from that I'm open to suggestions, hopefully without too much deep water due to not wishing to bulk out my flight bags with wetsuits. I like short trips at this time of year, I think.

I fly into Vegas on the 1st > drive to southern Utah, so I'll be around the Kanab area for the first few days, with possibly a stop at HITR or Canyonlands (depending on which road I take) on the drive to Moab.

For background, I'm reasonably fit, 46, like real ale, and this'll be my 31st trip to the States.

Rob

See you in November.

Mark

rockgremlin
09-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking of suffering the 11-hour flight to see Utah again, and this thread prompted me to book the flights today

WOW! That's quite a commute! See you then!

rockgremlin
09-10-2009, 09:35 PM
By the way, I was poking my nose around the Behind-the-Rocks area on the south end of town and stumbled into a really tight slot - like Shenanigans tight. The entrance required exhaling while shuffling sideways with head turned to the side. After about 20 feet of that, there was a drop that required either rappelling or off the deck stemming for a ways. I'd like to check it out more but would prefer some assistance from a few folks that are skinny and experienced.

Who's down?

ststephen
09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Looks like I can sneak away for this trip. Yay! :banana:

I'll be flying in/out of SLC. I'd be interested in sharing a ride with someone if that can work out. (Deeps - do you still have room?)

Are we planning 3 days of trips or just Sat/Sun? I'd like to take only one day off work but I could possibly fly out late Wed or early Thr and do my day's work in SLC.

As to trips I would love to join the folks doing Elephant Butte.

I've done Lomatium and Granary and so I'd prefer to try some new things. Though not technical Onion Creek looks fun and it would be good to know so I could lead my family in it some time later. I could also do Dragonfly or Entrajo as long as I have company with the no-wetsuit-get-in-and-out-quick technique.

But really anything is good, even redoing Lomatium as it was several years ago. Heck just hiking around Fisher Towers would be fun too.

BTW, It would help if we started putting days to the trips so we're not booking folks on two trips on the same day.

Deeps
09-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I'll be flying in/out of SLC. I'd be interested in sharing a ride with someone if that can work out. (Deeps - do you still have room?)

Are we planning 3 days of trips or just Sat/Sun? I'd like to take only one day off work but I could possibly fly out late Wed or early Thr and do my day's work in SLC.

I'm still good for that. Are you coming solo or bringing the family? I'd like to head down Thursday at some point, and come back late Sunday or first thing Monday depending on how the schedule shakes out. so that should work fine.

If you need a place to crash and work I can set you up with that as well.

I've invited a couple of friends to come in from out of state - still waiting to hear back from them. But I'll save a spot for you, no problem.

ststephen
09-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the offer! I'll pm and we can work out the details.

This trip will be just me. Robin is going to do an extended weekend away with a girlfriend running the Las Vegas marathon and then showing her friend Zion, Bryce, GC.

Aaron, unfortunately can't come because he can't afford the time off of school. Don't feel too bad for him - he just had a great trip to the Big Island and added lots of cool adventures to his list.

Scott P
09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I guess I could swing by and do Dragonfly on one of those days and maybe something else on the other.

AJ
09-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Ain't skinny, but am a caver; so I can squeeze; and I've got a few canyons under my belt. I'd help take a peek...

By the way, I was poking my nose around the Behind-the-Rocks area on the south end of town and stumbled into a really tight slot - like Shenanigans tight. The entrance required exhaling while shuffling sideways with head turned to the side. After about 20 feet of that, there was a drop that required either rappelling or off the deck stemming for a ways. I'd like to check it out more but would prefer some assistance from a few folks that are skinny and experienced.

Who's down?

Don
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Suck. I'm out. I have drill that weekend. Army stuff is annoying sometimes. Pays the bills, but annoying. I guess someone else will have to ride through camp naked... :haha:

moab mark
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
November is getting close so I thought we should start putting together a schedule. Looks like we have a pretty good sized group that plans on attending. First I need to see who is willing to volunteer to lead a route that they have previously done. I also need to know what you feel your experience level is. Expert-Intermediate-Novice-Total Noob.
So if you could each post if you can lead a route and your talent level I will start to match up experience with noobs etc.

By volunteering to lead a route just means you have been there and know the way. You are not volunteering to guide the route. I copied this from the first post to give everyone a reminder of the basics.

We are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

If you are planning to do Lomatium or Krill there is a $5 charge to get into the fiery furnace. You also have to watch a 10 minute film and pass a test.

If you know where you are planning to stay list that also. I think we should have a pot luck but due to the time of the year it may be brisk at night for a barbeque. We could hit one of the resturants instead. Several resturants have some large sitting areas. Might be a better idea?

Mark

trackrunner
10-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I have not done any Moab routes, but can find my way with good directions map & compas (gps if needed) and willing to lead, co-lead, help if needed.

I consider myself more advanced Intermediate near Expert.

Scott P
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
If you know where you are planning to stay list that also.

I will be staying in the Inca Inn since it's only $45 and is quite nice.

I guess I could help lead Dragonfly if needed, but if people fairly new to canyoneering were planning on going in my opinion for safety reasons two leaders should be present. I am willing to be one of them.

neilether
10-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Unfortunately I am going to have to bail. My Sister-in-law has decided that's the week that her twins will arrive (via C-section obviously). Booo. I'll have to catch up on the next one.

AJ
10-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Jen and I are still interested in going. Jen's an intermediate, I'm closer to advanced. I haven't done any Moab stuff in years; and I've only done two routes there - so not very familiar. Thus, I'd prefer to join a group, rather than lead one; but if necessary, I'm sure I could find the routes there.

Jen and I will have whatever water protection we need if folks want to do water canyons.

We will also be camping; but don't yet know where. If a group is camping somewhere, we'll be happy to join...

Take care,
A.J.

moab mark
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
If you are planning on attending please respond to this post whether you are willing to lead a route or not. I would like to get a current count of who and how many are still coming. List your skill level also. One last item, list if you plan on being there for all 3 days or just the weekend etc. I would like to keep it around 30 people. 4 or 5 routes each day with 5 or 6 people in each group.
Thanks
Mark

November is getting close so I thought we should start putting together a schedule. Looks like we have a pretty good sized group that plans on attending. First I need to see who is willing to volunteer to lead a route that they have previously done. I also need to know what you feel your experience level is. Expert-Intermediate-Novice-Total Noob.
So if you could each post if you can lead a route and your talent level I will start to match up experience with noobs etc.

By volunteering to lead a route just means you have been there and know the way. You are not volunteering to guide the route. I copied this from the first post to give everyone a reminder of the basics.

We are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

If you are planning to do Lomatium or Krill there is a $5 charge to get into the fiery furnace. You also have to watch a 10 minute film and pass a test.

If you know where you are planning to stay list that also. I think we should have a pot luck but due to the time of the year it may be brisk at night for a barbeque. We could hit one of the resturants instead. Several resturants have some large sitting areas. Might be a better idea?

Mark

Rob L
10-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm still coming, Mark.

Complete Novice on the techie stuff, so no lead, but I've been taking properly-qualified lessons on rapelling (but I doubt up to the standard normally seen here on Bogley!). I'm quite happy on going over backwards, hooking in etc. Have my own equipment now.

I'll be around for all three days, and am willing to be advised/persuaded on what trips to do; I'm game for anything without water!

I may be camping, but if too chilly, I'll bail out to a motel. What's the intended campsite?

See you all there!
Rob

Iceaxe
10-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Ice (Shane) - I've done a couple canyons before.
Mrs. Ice (Shauna) - noob

Staying in motels and eating in restaurants. I have no motel reservations as of yet.

We're planning to be there Saturday and Sunday, and probably Friday (depends on work).

I'm happy to lead, follow or get out of the way.

IntrepidXJ
10-13-2009, 07:02 PM
I'll be there. I'm a complete noob when it comes to canyoneering, which is why I probably will not be doing any....though I might join the Onion Creek route.

I'll be there all 3 days.

Haven't made my hotel reservations yet, but I'm planning on not roughing it that weekend.

IntrepidXJ
10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Looks like I'll be staying at the Sleep Inn.....stayed there last winter and it was nice :2thumbs:

accadacca
10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I would like to hang with my ole buddy rockgremlin. I am available on Friday and Saturday morning for a bit. I have to roll out of town by 10-11 AM to get back to SLC for a FTB game. I might just scoot down on my beemer. I'll keep an eye as the itinerary unfolds. :popcorn:

french_de
10-16-2009, 10:17 AM
The weekend of November 6 - 8 is looking better for me - if work doesn't get in the way. Myself and possibly three or four others could make it. I have done some Arches NP canyons. I would like to do Granary, BigHorn, Tierdrop, NotTierDrop, U-turn, Lomatium. I have done U-turn, TierDrop and Not TierDrop. I would be willing to help lead a Not-Tier Drop and U-turn trip or any other canyon. I can bring ropes.

CarpeyBiggs
10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
i can probably make it to this. happy to help out with some canyons, if needs be.

blueeyes
10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I am still planning on coming. I am a complete noob so I will simply do as I am told. Also bringing my bike. I need to secure a babysitter before I can totally commit. I will be freezing my arse off camping.

Wasatch
10-17-2009, 07:18 AM
I should be there as well, doing canyons on Sat and Sun.

Deeps
10-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I've done a lot of the well traveled, non-technical stuff in the park. Looking forward to seeing some Moab tech and new places.

I'm pretty fresh with tech, I just started in June. I'm a novice

alliej
10-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey Mark,

Thanks again for doing this! I am so looking forward to it! I'll definitely be camping, not sure where yet. I am probably a novice, possibly intermediate. The only Moab area route I have done is Ephedra's Grotto and Morning Glory Arch. I know the way for that if that helps. Do you still need some folks to bring rope? I have a 70 and 50 m if need be.

Allie

blueeyes
10-18-2009, 10:08 PM
I am out. No babysitter. Maybe next time.

Iceaxe
10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Not that I'm volunteering to organize or anything.....

But it would be nice if we could arrange a group dinner or meeting place some where Saturday night....

If the campers would all get together and reserve a group site I think you would find that advantageous. One of the campers just needs to step up to the plate and take this chore on.

Just adding my 2 cents....

moab mark
10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I plan on updating the list of who is coming tonight and try to finalize some plans. I plan on staying in a motel. So if one of the campers wants to pick a group spot to get together or we could pick a resturant.

Mark

moab mark
10-19-2009, 09:07 PM
To try and keep the fest organized please go to the first post to read the update.

Thanks Mark

rockgremlin
10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Yo.

Remove my name from the Granary list. I've got my sights on Krill, Rock of Ages, and some other unknown stuff in the Behind-the-Rocks. I've also got good intel on another canyon that is very similar to Professor Creek in length and technical nature, but is off-the-radar, and just a few miles outside of town. Maybe a few of us could check it out.

renshiwo
10-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Hubby and I would like to join in. We live in Moab and can stake out some campsites for the campers if we can find out how many they need.

I'm seven months pregnant, but we should be ok to do any canyons that don't require too much scrambling with exposure. I'll be happy to take your recommendations once we meet. We both have canyoneering experience - he sets the anchors, I follow. We can bring at least one 60m rope.

I am getting a bit big for my harness, so if anyone has a spare available that's in good condition, I would be grateful. I also don't fit in my wetsuit anymore, so I won't be going through Entrajo.

Definitely interested in Granary, Lomatium, Krill... could be talked in to most things!

Don
10-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Hubby and I would like to join in. We live in Moab and can stake out some campsites for the campers if we can find out how many they need.

I'm seven months pregnant, but we should be ok to do any canyons that don't require too much scrambling with exposure. I'll be happy to take your recommendations once we meet. We both have canyoneering experience - he sets the anchors, I follow. We can bring at least one 60m rope.

I am getting a bit big for my harness, so if anyone has a spare available that's in good condition, I would be grateful. I also don't fit in my wetsuit anymore, so I won't be going through Entrajo.

Definitely interested in Granary, Lomatium, Krill... could be talked in to most things!

Seven months along and still doing canyons. F--k that's cool! I wish I was coming down just to meet you. Another time. Respect. :2thumbs:

ScoutColorado
10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey all,
We (2 of us, male & female) would like to join you guys and do some canyons. Haven't met any of you, but feel like I know some of you from lurking for a long time.
Hope it's not to late, but wasn't sure what our schedules were.
We plan to come in late Thursday, do canyons Friday, Sat and early Sunday.
Interested in Granary Canyon, Krill Canyon w/wo Lamatium and Entrajo. Actually, almost any canyon would be fine, but more interested in the technical ones. We have done several tech canyons, and taken Basic Canyoneering courses. Have all our equipment, but only one rope - a 100' Imlay that's really stiff, slick and brand new. Maybe a good chance to break it in.
We'd also be up for a Sat night get together at a restaurant. Not sure if we're camping or hoteling, probably the latter.
Any chance of being invited?
Thanks all
RR

Deeps
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey all,
We (2 of us, male & female) would like to join you guys and do some canyons. Haven't met any of you, but feel like I know some of you from lurking for a long time.
Hope it's not to late, but wasn't sure what our schedules were.
We plan to come in late Thursday, do canyons Friday, Sat and early Sunday.
Interested in Granary Canyon, Krill Canyon w/wo Lamatium and Entrajo. Actually, almost any canyon would be fine, but more interested in the technical ones. We have done several tech canyons, and taken Basic Canyoneering courses. Have all our equipment, but only one rope - a 100' Imlay that's really stiff, slick and brand new. Maybe a good chance to break it in.
We'd also be up for a Sat night get together at a restaurant. Not sure if we're camping or hoteling, probably the latter.
Any chance of being invited?
Thanks all
RR

The more the merrier. Welcome to Bogley!

I talked with Mark today, he's working on a list and route planning this week. I'm getting excited for the trip!

moab mark
10-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Ill put you on the list. See ya there.
Mark

ScoutColorado
10-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks Guys!
Really looking forward to this.

horsevaulter
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this group but experienced in Canyoneering. I would love to join up with you all, even if for Sat and Sunday. I have only done Rock of Ages and Cameltoe in the Moab area, so I would love to try to new canyons (especially Elephant Butte and U-turn).

I have a 200' rope I can bring (which may be a bit too large for us, depending).

I may also have another canyoneering buddy who may join in on the fun and she has a few ropes as well. But I'll have to double-check her scheule.

thanks for organizing and I am looking forward to meeting you!
Alison

renshiwo
10-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Seven months along and still doing canyons. F--k that's cool! I wish I was coming down just to meet you. Another time. Respect. :2thumbs:

Thanks! I figure, it might be a while until I can get out after the little one shows up, so I better take advantage now!

moab mark
10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Have been messing around with route assignments. To be honest it's a pain in the a***. As soon as they are posted everyone will want to move. So after talking with several of those who have volunteered to help lead we feel it will just be easier to meet each morning at 8 A.M. divide up and conquer. So we are planning on meeting at the parking lot-park right at the bridge crossing the Colorado. Hwy 191 and 128. Meet there at 8 and plan on leaving at 8:30. Have all your gear ready to go, lunch etc.

If you have ropes bring them. Please bring a helmet, harness and rappeling device. I will bring a universal harness for Rebecca to use.

Hopefully most of the groups will be able to hit two routes each day. So we should all be able to see most all of the routes in Moab.

I am going to line up a couple of resturant ideas for both friday and saturday night. If you are coming to dinner, please bring cash, it will make it alot easier to pay.

Should be a great time, hopefully we'll have good weather.

Mark

Deeps
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Sounds good Mark. Thanks for doing the organizing.

Who is leading what and when? Has that been figured out?

moab mark
10-26-2009, 08:48 PM
By what Deeps just posted my post must not of made sense. We are not going to divide up until we get to the parking lot. Basically we will have 3 or 4 leaders knowing which route they are going to lead each day. You then will be able to pick where you want to go. We want to try to keep the groups around 6 or so. I will get with the leaders behind the scene prior to each day so we have a plan on where we are going. Just not who is going with us. As far as the routes we will hit all of the best ones probably a couple of times through out the weekend. So you should be able to do the ones that interest you. I am still waiting to here back from a couple of guys on what and if they can help lead. When I have that I will try to put together a list for each day and post prior to that friday.

Mark

Scott P
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Mark, I will be happy to help lead Dragonfly (or Granary) on Friday or Saturday, so feel free to PM me. I won't be there Sunday.

Personally, out of courtesy though, I think it would be a good idea to call Desert Highlights and see which canyons they will or won

moab mark
10-27-2009, 11:07 AM
[quote=Scott P]Mark, I will be happy to help lead Dragonfly (or Granary) on Friday or Saturday, so feel free to PM me. I won't be there Sunday.

Personally, out of courtesy though, I think it would be a good idea to call Desert Highlights and see which canyons they will or won

ScoutColorado
10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Mark,
I was thinking, how will he ever pull this list all together, no one knows who's coming, lots of route requests, and there WILL be changes, so great decision! We'll be happy to do any route available. But we are noobs, so no leading for us.
Also, if people haven't got reservations yet, I got Motel 8 through Expedia for $59 + tax per night. You do have to prepay with no refunds for cancellation, but, hey, it makes you show up. There are similar deals on other sites and other motels.
This will be great fun. Thanks for all your help.
ScoutColorado & Bette

moab mark
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I checked their website they show they are open the 2nd to 12th so we should be ok.

Mark

Sombeech
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Sorry, I haven't chimed in much on this, but I'll be down there.

I'll bring my bike. We'll probably do 2 bike trails and a canyon.

Not sure which canyon right now, we'll get it figured out though.

rockgremlin
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
[quote=Scott P]Personally, out of courtesy though, I think it would be a good idea to call Desert Highlights and see which canyons they will or won

moab mark
10-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I will check their site as we get closer to the dates and probably call Matt right before we head down.

Mark

Sombeech
10-27-2009, 12:31 PM
accadacca, glasscutter, and I will definitely be doing some biking, probably 2 trails, and then at least 1 canyon.

We don't know in which order yet.

If you're interested in hooking up with us on the trail, let us know. Here's the thread in the biking section:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19096

RAM
10-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I have a 10 day trip starting on Friday, elsewhere in the state, but come near to Moab on the way out. I could be talked into coming out a day earlier, if some folks were around and interested, operating on Thursday, the 4th. This would be contingent on weather in the mountain passes of Colorado allowing me passage west, from the Front Range. I have a little experience and have done some stuff in the area. Love to meet the luminaries that post here often. Rock? Mark? :hail2thechief:
R

trackrunner
10-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Ram now you might be able to talk me into coming out a day early. Always a pleasure to get out with you
:hail2thechief:

Also Mark I'm willing to lead or provide experience to groups on any route.

Deeps
10-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Ram now you might be able to talk me into coming out a day early. Always a pleasure to get out with you
:hail2thechief:

Ditto.

Cirrus2000
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I have a little experience

:haha:

:sigh: Why does my timing suck so often? This would have been a lot of fun...

RAM
10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
[quote="RAM"] interested, operating on Thursday, the 4th. This would be contingent on weather in the mountain passes of Colorado allowing me passage west, from the Front Range.

Ahhhhh, yeah, right. I would drive out Wednesday the 4th and operate Thursday the 5th. Can't read a calendar. Buyer beware! :roll:

Rob L
10-27-2009, 04:42 PM

You could always take another few days out (I know it's too soon, but who would know?). We could talk aeroplanes.

moab mark
10-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Please go to the first post for an update.

Don
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why I keep reading this thread; it only leads to envy. :frustrated:

moab mark
10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I have a 10 day trip starting on Friday, elsewhere in the state, but come near to Moab on the way out. I could be talked into coming out a day earlier, if some folks were around and interested, operating on Thursday, the 4th. This would be contingent on weather in the mountain passes of Colorado allowing me passage west, from the Front Range. I have a little experience and have done some stuff in the area. Love to meet the luminaries that post here often. Rock? Mark? :hail2thechief:
R

Funny how things come around. My buddy that was coming with me is probably going to have to bail. We were planning on riding the white rim on thursday. Now it looks like I will be in moab on thursday with nothing to do. So if several wanted to get together and do something on thursday I'm game.

Mark

rockgremlin
10-28-2009, 06:39 AM
I have a little experience...

:lol8:

Hmmm....thinking of good excuses to tell my employer. I'd love to make this happen!

CarpeyBiggs
10-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I have a little experience...

:lol8:

Hmmm....thinking of good excuses to tell my employer. I'd love to make this happen!

rock, get yer ass outta work!

moab mark
10-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Bump

Please go to the first post for an update.

moab mark
10-28-2009, 08:42 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why I keep reading this thread; it only leads to envy. :frustrated:

I heard you might be getting the swine flu next weekend? Just a thought. :nod:

RAM
10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Hmmm....thinking of good excuses to tell my employer. I'd love to make this happen![/quote]

Sounds like a bunch of definite maybe's!! Rock, you have to come to at least tell the story how we "nearly" met. Or does having a conversation, a few feet apart, with a sheet of metal preventing us from seeing each other, count as meeting?

I'm an employer. Employers, police officers, judges, teachers all share something in common. They know when someone is lying. Better to call in "well."

Mark, Deeps, Shauan? Wanna? Gonna?

Carpy Biggs will come, I bet. We done a bit of Arches area fare before. What about Ice? Is he too cool to come?

Don and Kevin...soooo sorry!
ramoo

Iceaxe
10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
What about Ice? Is he too cool to come?

I'll be down Thrusday at some time, just not sure what time yet. If you want to do dinner in the evening I can probably make that work for-sure...

Deeps
10-28-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm in if you are, Steve. I can come down Wednesday night to do something Thursday.

Mark, as for my list of "wants"... Bogleyfests have always been more about the social route than the technical one for me. (All two of them). I've read the beta on all of the routes mentioned so far. I'm game for any of them, as well as Justin's "Behind the Rocks" find or any other new exploring.

I'd like to do a route with Shane.

I'd like to do a route with Dan (CarpyBiggs).

I'd like to do a route with Justin (rockgremlin).

I'd like to do a route with Mark.

Not necessarily in that order. Shaun and I may carpool, so I know I'll get to hang with him on a few routes. Hoping to see Ryan, Chris, Scott, and new peeps as well.

That's why I was asking if you knew who was leading what, and when. My schedule has enough flex that I can come down a day early. I just need to know there is someone else there to do a route with, and when to plan on heading home.

I'm fine playing it by ear. The June Zion trips filled fast, I'd like to not get shut out of routes that are trying to keep the number at 6 or less.

I'm interested in these based on where I see Justin, Shane, and you listed:
Any Canyon
Krill
Granary
Elephant Butte
Rock of Ages

Alternatively, I'm still interested in these depending on what others want to do:
Lomatium
U-Turn
Dragonfly

Does that help?

RAM
10-28-2009, 11:51 AM
What about Ice? Is he too cool to come?

I'll be down Thrusday at some time, just not sure what time yet. If you want to do dinner in the evening I can probably make that work for-sure...

As long as its not too late, would love to. Got a 2.5 hour drive later that eve and a canyon at the crack of dawn Friday.
R

Iceaxe
10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
As long as its not too late, would love to. Got a 2.5 hour drive later that eve and a canyon at the crack of dawn Friday.
R

I'll email you next week when I know the details.... mostly it's about making sure we have someone to watch the kids, house, dog, yada, yada...

And will you be heading south or west out of Moab.... could maybe meet at Ray's depending...

RAM
10-28-2009, 12:38 PM
R

I'll email you next week when I know the details.... mostly it's about making sure we have someone to watch the kids, house, dog, yada, yada...

And will you be heading south or west out of Moab.... could maybe meet at Ray's depending...

I will be going by Ray's, but it would be nice to have those folks who make it out Thursday, for the canyon join us, so I could hang in Moab for awhile (Brewery?). Meeting Green River for a bit later in the eve, is fine too, if that's what will work
R

rockgremlin
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Rock, you have to come to at least tell the story how we "nearly" met. Or does having a conversation, a few feet apart, with a sheet of metal preventing us from seeing each other, count as meeting?

:lol8: Epic story. You're right, I have to show up to tell the tale.

trackrunner
10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Wanna?

Yeah
:nod:

Gonna?

If it's a go yeah
:nod:

RAM
10-28-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm in if you are, Steve. I can come down Wednesday night to do something Thursday.

Steve? Who dat? Shaun, Deeps, Carpy in. Mark probable? Rock just talkin or....? Ice buying us dinner afterward! Yeah!

Here is near the worst pass I must deal.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/tenday/USCO0388?from=36hr_topnav_golf

Looks good now.....which means nuttin this far out. Confirm by Monday
Any other suckers...I mean , anyone else interested? What to do? Something not on any of those lists!
Ramoo :five:

Rob L
10-31-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm scooting down to London early doors tomorrow, to catch my flight across the pond. I arrive in Utah Sunday afternoon (US time). I'm looking forward to meeting you all next weekend.

I'll have intermittent internet access while in the States, so I'll try to keep up with updates in the interim.

I've ordered a US cellphone, to collect when I arrive, so I'll be able to provide a contact number. I've got 4-5 days or so to travel from St George, across Utah, so if anyone is en route to meet up first, let me know.

When we meet up at the parking lot in Moab, I'll be the Brit-looking-geeky-looking chap with brand spanking-new canyoneering kit. Take it easy on me, OK? :peepwall:

Rob

CarpeyBiggs
10-31-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm scooting down to London early doors tomorrow, to catch my flight across the pond. I arrive in Utah Sunday afternoon (US time). I'm looking forward to meeting you all next weekend.

I'll have intermittent internet access while in the States, so I'll try to keep up with updates in the interim.

I've ordered a US cellphone, to collect when I arrive, so I'll be able to provide a contact number. I've got 4-5 days or so to travel from St George, across Utah, so if anyone is en route to meet up first, let me know.

When we meet up at the parking lot in Moab, I'll be the Brit-looking-geeky-looking chap with brand spanking-new canyoneering kit. Take it easy on me, OK? :peepwall:

Rob

shoot, anyone who flies across the pond to come canyoneering gains instant respect in this crowd...

TED RING
10-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Is there room for 3 more. Would be coming down friday. From cedar city area . All 3 of us have been canyoneering for over 10 years. Could bring extra rope's. Moab would be new to us but wanted to ck. moab out for years. If there is room we will see you friday. We have done canyons all over the south/west ,mexico, and Greece.

Thanks Ted

accadacca
11-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Rob

shoot, anyone who flies across the pond to come canyoneering gains instant respect in this crowd...
Too right! :five:

Brewhaha
11-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately, I'll be missing you guys again this year. I'll be in Spring City instead (snooze). I'm especially disappointed since I just got a new bike and was ready to shred...or, at least slowly roll.

Next time.

oldno7
11-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I'll be in Moab from Wed.-Monday.
Would be glad to meet up for dinner.

Deeps
11-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Add Kurt to my list of guys I want to do a canyon with...

moab mark
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Is there room for 3 more. Would be coming down friday. From cedar city area . All 3 of us have been canyoneering for over 10 years. Could bring extra rope's. Moab would be new to us but wanted to ck. moab out for years. If there is room we will see you friday. We have done canyons all over the south/west ,mexico, and Greece.

Thanks Ted

Ill put you on the list. Bring ropes. :2thumbs:

Mark

moab mark
11-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Kurt can't play with us. He will be busy but I'm sure we could allow him to come to dinner with us.

I just got back from Halloween in Moab. Great trip.

Mark

IntrepidXJ
11-01-2009, 07:59 PM

I was there today.....well, out in the Dome Plateau and Yellow Cat area :cool2:

oldno7
11-02-2009, 06:20 AM

Kurt can't play with us. He will be busy but I'm sure we could allow him to come to dinner with us.

Mark

Looking at early dinner on Thurs. @ Brewery. with Ram.(tentative)
I will be doing L/K on Monday if there are a few wanting to get that in.
Will limit the group to 6. Three already taken.

Deeps--thanks.

accadacca
11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
How about a place to meet for dinner and whatnot on Friday night? Name a place or has this already been mentioned? I couldn't find it anywhere...

Iceaxe
11-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I plan to watch UTAH Saturday somewhere in Moab. Who will have the game, HDTV's and beer?

RAM
11-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Rock, you have to come to at least tell the story how we "nearly" met. Or does having a conversation, a few feet apart, with a sheet of metal preventing us from seeing each other, count as meeting?

The weather on the passes looks bulletproof. I'm a comin. I suggest meeting at the visitor center in Arches at 7:30 AM on Thursday. Got some good ideas for the day, if I can be indulged. Also planning on dinner at the Brewery at 5 PM that night.

Dan is in. Eric if he doesn't get called by work. Shaun, Deeps and Mark? Rock you tell the boss some good lies? Any other takers?
R

moab mark
11-02-2009, 01:40 PM

The weather on the passes looks bulletproof. I'm a comin. I suggest meeting at the visitor center in Arches at 7:30 AM on Thursday. Got some good ideas for the day, if I can be indulged. Also planning on dinner at the Brewery at 5 PM that night.

Dan is in. Eric if he doesn't get called by work. Shaun, Deeps and Mark? Rock you tell the boss some good lies? Any other takers?
R

Unless something goes south I'll be there.

Mark

rockgremlin
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
R

The Rock is IN! :twisted:

Don
11-02-2009, 04:12 PM
mumblemumblemumblegoddammitmumblemumble. :frustrated:

(I really hate drill weekend sometimes)

Cirrus2000
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
mumblemumblemumblegoddammitmumblemumble. :frustrated:

x2

:bootyshake:

Scott P
11-02-2009, 05:06 PM
The Rock is IN!

Speaking of which, if Rock lives in Moab, what are we all doing camping or staying in hotels? We should all crash at his place. :haha:

ststephen
11-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I had hopes of being able to join you all but this project I'm leading has other plans for me next week.

Hope you all have one hell of a great time and I'll try to hook up again soon.

Partly Animal
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Been lurking here off and on for some time and would love to finally join in. Would be bringing two, maybe three of us. My background is mostly climbing but have done a handful of canyons over that last ten or so years. Have been concetrating on climbing the Seven Summits but now that that project is completed it's time to get back into canyoneering a little more seriously.

If the group is getting too big I certainly understand. I'll try to join in another time.

Bruce

Deeps
11-02-2009, 09:01 PM
R

In!

Where is everyone / anyone camping?

moab mark
11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Been lurking here off and on for some time and would love to finally join in. Would be bringing two, maybe three of us. My background is mostly climbing but have done a handful of canyons over that last ten or so years. Have been concetrating on climbing the Seven Summits but now that that project is completed it's time to get back into canyoneering a little more seriously.

If the group is getting too big I certainly understand. I'll try to join in another time.

Bruce

I doubt the group is going to be to big. So sure come on down.
If you have climbed the seven summits I would like to hang with you and hear how that went.

Mark

moab mark
11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Check the first post for an update.

Oh and a kudos to the new server, Bogley is so muuuuccccchhhh better. Well done.

Mark

rockgremlin
11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Speaking of which, if Rock lives in Moab, what are we all doing camping or staying in hotels? We should all crash at his place. :haha:

Take that up with my wife... :haha:

CarpeyBiggs
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Take that up with my wife... :haha:

i already did... seemed pretty excited to see me again. :naughty:

Iceaxe
11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Been lurking here off and on for some time and would love to finally join in.

I'd say anyone who has tagged the Seven Summits has a slot

Congratulations
http://bruceoneverest.blogspot.com/2009/05/he-made-it.html

Sombeech
11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey guys n gals, like I said, I'll be down there biking but will probably grab a canyon on Saturday with you.

glasscutter (mark) and I will probably meet up with you at 8 am at the meeting place just to say hi, but we'll probably bike a couple of trails on Friday. We'd like to meet up Friday night to talk again and see how your day went.

Thanks. :2thumbs:

IntrepidXJ
11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
glasscutter (mark) and I will probably meet up with you at 8 am at the meeting place just to say hi

same here :2thumbs:

Partly Animal
11-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I'd say anyone who has tagged the Seven Summits has a slot

Congratulations

Thanks Ice. It was a great adventure. Bittersweet that it's over.

rockgremlin
11-04-2009, 06:53 AM
i already did... seemed pretty excited to see me again. :naughty:

:lol8: :lol8:

rockgremlin
11-04-2009, 06:53 AM
perfect

TED RING
11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Will bring 2 long ropes 200+ and 2 short ropes. How are the roads ?should we bring a 4x4? Or will a 2wd Jeep be fine? Will be leaving monday, if there is anybody intrested in doing a canyon monday am?

moab mark
11-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Will bring 2 long ropes 200+ and 2 short ropes. How are the roads ?should we bring a 4x4? Or will a 2wd Jeep be fine? Will be leaving monday, if there is anybody intrested in doing a canyon monday am?

2wd will be fine

Mark

Cam
11-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi,

Please add two to the list, Carroll and Vivien, we would like to do a canyon with you guys on Sunday, arriving in Moab Saturday evening.

Bringing ropes

Rob L
11-04-2009, 03:55 PM
<snip>Also planning on dinner at the Brewery at 5 PM that night.</snip>

R

OK, I'll be at the Brewery 5pm Thursday to meet up...how will I know you all?

My cellphone now works. 414 510 3582

Rob

moab mark
11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Just look for The group of misfits. I will have on a red utah hat. On a thursday it won't be to crowded you'll find us.

Mark

Iceaxe
11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Thursday to meet up...how will I know you all?

Heres a group photo to help you out.... :roflol:

http://s-tiger.photovillage.org/photosDir/2363/thumb/800-Hear_No_Evil,_See_No_Evil,_Speak_No_Evil.jpg

Rob L
11-04-2009, 04:28 PM
OK; I'll have a "Jaws of Life" tee shirt and a black coat. See you there!

Rob

alliej
11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey Mark,

just wanted to make sure you have me down as going. (just didn't see my name on the list so was curious). I plan on being there all three days, does that work?

Thanks!

Allie

Rob L
11-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Where is everyone / anyone camping?

Sand Flats? That's where I'll be, unless anyone has better ideas?

horsevaulter
11-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Looks like I (Alison) and my friend Cynthia will be coming out for sure from Denver. We will be camping, so I am assuming that we will meet you at Sand Flats? (not sure where that is, but I'm sure we can find it).

Also, we may try a canyon outside of the Moab area and then join up with you Saturday evening. Is Zac's the place of choice where we can find you??

looking forward to meeting you!
Alison (horsevaulter)

IntrepidXJ
11-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Are we going to set a time and place for dinner tomorrow night, for those of us who will probably not be doing a canyon tomorrow?

moab mark
11-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Sittin at the moab diner life is good. Yes plan on eating at Fiesta Mexicana friday nightat 7. Plan on getting a count friday morning and then calling them. The resturant is right in the middle of town. My lions back has arrived gotta go. See you all tomorrow

Mark

moab mark
11-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi everyone,

Looks like I (Alison) and my friend Cynthia will be coming out for sure from Denver. We will be camping, so I am assuming that we will meet you at Sand Flats? (not sure where that is, but I'm sure we can find it).

Also, we may try a canyon outside of the Moab area and then join up with you Saturday evening. Is Zac's the place of choice where we can find you??

looking forward to meeting you!
Alison (horsevaulter)

Sand flats is east of town.Turn east at phillips 66 Find daves corner market go east at daves and follow that road up the hill. Zac's 7 sat

Mark

abirken
11-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi guys! I know I have been on the list for a while but unfortunately won't be able to make this Bogleyfest happen. You can bump me off the canyon lists. Looking forward to the photos and TR's! :2thumbs: Ya'll have fun!

renshiwo
11-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Who's down?

I know this is replying to an OLD post so sorry for that, but I haven't browsed here before and am playing some catch-up for this weekend's events.

I'm in Moab and would be interested in this exploration rockgrimlin, if you haven't explored this crack, etc. more already.

This is actually my wife's profile, but I have access to her password :naughty: ;)

I have ropes, some webbing and various bits of climbing gear. I'm in the currently "without a daily schedule" category, so would be free about any time...

Hopefully we'll meet you and LOTS of other folks this weekend.

Thanks for organizing a fun event!!

cheers,
-mark-

accadacca
11-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I had something come up at weeerk this week and I am not going to be able to make it. Have fun! Looking forward to the server getting filled with Bogleyfest trip reports. :popcorn:

Rob L
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I've set up camp at Little Lions Back (the first campground in Sand Flats) #18...come say Hi if there's a red Ford there.

Directions: from the main drag through Moab, go east on 300S then turn right on to 400E and then left on Millcreek Drive. This leads to Sand Flats road.

Rob

Sombeech
11-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey guys, we aren't able to leave town until tomorrow at 1:00pm. We'll hafta meet up with you at dinner Friday night, and Saturday morning.

We'll probably bike Porcupine Rim saturday morning, and a trail in the afternoon.

I'll have shirts and stickers if anybody wants to grab some.

Iceaxe
11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks Mark, for putting this together. It was a lot of fun. :banana:

moab mark
11-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I am not a happy canyoneer! :frustrated: I just down loaded my pictures and I only have pictures from thursday in the fiery furnace. I got some sand in the lense of my camera thursday and after that it quit focusing. :frustrated: So for Bogley fest pictures others will have to come thru. Here are the pictures from thursday. It was a great day in the furnace. Those in the pictures are Ram, Dan (Carpey Bigs), Eric (Shaggy), Shaun (Trackrunner), Justin (Rockgremlin), DeanPaul (Deeps).

http://picasaweb.google.com/markimsmith/MoabBogleyfest#

Thanks to everyone that helped out.
It was a great trip.

Mark

trackrunner
11-08-2009, 06:07 PM
X2

Had a blast. Even mad the wife happy. Thanks all.

Sorry about my out of control kid during the meet-ups.

moab mark
11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Shaun,
Your son is the bomb. You should of just left him in the back of my truck, my kids would of entertained him for a week or so.

Mark

renshiwo
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Good times yo, good times!!

Scott P
11-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I am not a happy canyoneer! I just down loaded my pictures and I only have pictures from thursday in the fiery furnace.

I do have photos of you, though most are from a distance. I'll post some tomorrow.

trackrunner
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Good times yo, good times!!

your avatar
:roflol: :roflol: :hahaha: :toofunny:
Rebecca (or some other spelling) right? :five:

rockgremlin
11-09-2009, 11:15 AM

X2 :2thumbs:

davehuth
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Mark thanks for getting us all together! And special thanks for the shuttle...and the coat!

moab mark
11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Mark thanks for getting us all together! And special thanks for the shuttle...and the coat!

No problem, how was granary?

Mark

Sombeech
11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
No problem, how was granary?

Yeah, I keep waiting for a flood of pictures. :ne_nau:

AJ
11-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey all!

Just wanted to also echo my thanks to Mark for putting the event on, and for his help leading.

Thanks also to the others who helped lead; Shane, Rockgremlin (Justin), Mark, and Carroll. Thanks also to Randy for helping with the Granary shuttle.

It was an awesome time with great folks. Wild to have Rob here from across the pond, and Rebecca at 7 months pregnant. It was great to see many folks again; Rockgremlin, Shane, Scott, Kim, Doug, and more. It was also great to meet so many new people!

Very fun times. Thanks everyone for making it a fantastic weekend!

I'll post my photos and a trip report as soon as I can. It might be a couple of weeks, as I'm playing catch up with photos. Still working on my Sweden and Norway trip from August...

In the meantime, if I can help out with any info; feel free to e-mail me at aj (at) meet-outdoors (dot) com. I don't check PM's very often, so my apologies if you PM me and I don't get right back to you...

Take care,
A.J.

ScoutColorado
11-09-2009, 09:54 PM
All,
What a blast! I feel like I have 30 new best friends!
Mark, I can't thank you enough for putting this together. I could thank a lot of other individuals, but let me just say thanks to ALL for the organizing, the help, the comradery, excellent dinners, free stickers, and not laughing at me too much... ok not TOO much.
The GOOD NEWS?
Videos coming soon! U-Turn should be up tomorrow, and Granary by the weekend on YouTube! Others to follow soon. So don't worry about pictures Mark, you star in all the videos. :2thumbs:
I can't wait for the next Fest.
Everyone, send me your addresses and I'll send you video DVD's when all are done - however, I expect DVD's of all your excellent photos to be sent to me - the curse of being the videographer is that I don't have pictures of myself, and no one believes I do this stuff. And be sure to invite me on all your adventures. You'll end up with some great video.
I'll post when the videos hit.
Thanks again, RickRock (Randy)
-----------
Definition of a Best Friend
A good friend bails you out of jail.
Your best friends are sitting in the cell beside you saying "That was a great adventure! Lets go to Bogley Fest again! :roflol:
-----------
P.S. I did end up with a cracked rib and torn cartilage and spent today at the doctors. That's how you spell SUCCESS! :haha:

paul4886
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulFrnSLC/BogleyMOABCanyoneeringFestNov2009?feat=directlink

IntrepidXJ
11-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Even though I didn't do any canyons with you, it was great to finally meet some of you!

moab mark
11-10-2009, 07:32 AM
-----------
P.S. I did end up with a cracked rib and torn cartilage and spent today at the doctors. That's how you spell SUCCESS! :haha:

How did this happen?

rockgremlin
11-11-2009, 06:33 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulFrnSLC/BogleyMOABCanyoneeringFestNov2009?feat=directlink

Some really nice pix in here. Thanks for sharing!! :2thumbs:

AJ
11-11-2009, 06:54 AM
-----------

How did this happen?

He had a little slip on the downclimb where Deeps looked back and saw that castle-type arch we were ooh-ing about...

Hope you mend quickly Randy!

Also hope your kids are feeling better Mark...

moab mark
11-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Paul,
Is picture 93 of the arch on granary? Have never seen that.

Mark

moab mark
11-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Paul, did you do the onion rappel? Your pictures look like you went down the canyon to the north of the actual canyon. Then dropped in at the small arch?

Mark

paul4886
11-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Umm ... ummm.. yes we tried a new route .... intentionaly? Well I prefer not to say lol

moab mark
11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Umm ... ummm.. yes we tried a new route .... intentionaly? Well I prefer not to say lol

I know the feeling have done those rappels one time. :roflol: You can do those rappels and then skirt over to the start of the actual granary. So when you followed that drainage down did the brush get really thick?

Mark

paul4886
11-11-2009, 10:45 AM
No the bush wacking was nto bad at all. We woud have loved going through the Onion. We noticed your foot prints comming to the canyon that met us on the right. We didn;t know we could traverse back up and actualy do the Onion. That is good to know !

moab mark
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm still a little confused on how you went. You show a picture where you scrambled up that rock with the log on it right on the edge of long canyon, you dropped some webbing to help get up. I thought that point was down canyon from the rappel you show in your pictures. When did you drop into that canyon to your left? After that canyon on the left starts to widen you can climb out on the right and head south to where the canyon with the onion in it starts.

Mark

IntrepidXJ
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Photos I took while you were all out enjoying your canyons (or biking) :2thumbs:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19253

ScoutColorado
11-11-2009, 06:13 PM
-----------

How did this happen?

He had a little slip on the downclimb where Deeps looked back and saw that castle-type arch we were ooh-ing about...

Hope you mend quickly Randy!

Also hope your kids are feeling better Mark...

Yeah, AJ was right. Thanks AJ, I am mending quickly and ready for more.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so flippant about the injury - it was minor, and I was on painkillers that night, so it kinda sounded like bragging.
I know this group has an excellent safety record, and my little mishap was in no way a reflection of a deviation in that. I'm impressed by how safety conscious everyone is, how careful everyone is, and how much everyone takes care of each other. MoabMark and AJ were excellent in leading us through Granary. And AJ and the others were great the next day getting me through Elephant Butte - I hadn't realized how banged up I was until I had already started the trip. Thanks again AJ!

The video is still coming - having trouble with the youTube upload.
Randy

AJ
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
AJ and the others were great the next day getting me through Elephant Butte - I hadn't realized how banged up I was until I had already started the trip. Thanks again AJ!

The video is still coming - having trouble with the youTube upload.
Randy

My pleasure. Glad you had a good time.

davehuth
11-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm still a little confused on how you went. You show a picture where you scrambled up that rock with the log on it right on the edge of long canyon, you dropped some webbing to help get up. I thought that point was down canyon from the rappel you show in your pictures. When did you drop into that canyon to your left? After that canyon on the left starts to widen you can climb out on the right and head south to where the canyon with the onion in it starts.
Mark

We got to the first rap " After the ridge widens out for the second time you can walk down into the drainage on your north (left) side. Follow the largest wash and it should deposit you near the top of the first rappel (N38

Iceaxe
11-12-2009, 11:51 AM
[quote=davehuth]
We got to the first rap " After the ridge widens out for the second time you can walk down into the drainage on your north (left) side. Follow the largest wash and it should deposit you near the top of the first rappel (N38

moab mark
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I can't figure out how they dropped into the south drainage but ended up at the arch anchor?

Mark

french_de
11-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I can't figure out how they dropped into the south drainage but ended up at the arch anchor?

Mark

I think our GPS was off. We followed the dropin cords which put us on the south edge ridge. We then downclimbed to a rappel - a small piece of webbing off a shrub. From that shrub rappel we could see the bridge rappel. I am beginning to think we did Not-Granary. :haha:

ScoutColorado
11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Just posted the U-Turn video - check the new topic in Canyoneering.
Randy (RickRock)

french_de
11-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Mark

The shrub anchor. The arch anchor is below this anchor to the left and around the corner just out of site.. this is the double alcove inverted razor edge upside down rap.

Rob L
11-12-2009, 05:52 PM
<snip> this is the double alcove inverted razor edge upside down rap.
You forgot the arrowhead. :mrgreen:

ScoutColorado
11-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Anyone out there know what Carol and Vivian's online name is?
Wanted to contact them before I put together the Elephant butte video.
We had an excellent time Sunday at Elephant Butte, and you guys helped me through the canyon.
Carol, Vivian, are you listening? Give me a hollar.
Randy

ScoutColorado
11-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Granary video up - see new topic
RR

Rob L
11-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Well I'm back home now in a damp & windy England. Good to meet up with you all.

My Grand Tour was (in roughly chronological order):

Elephant Butte:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf9908-elephant-butte.jpg

U-Turn:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf9949-U-Turn.jpg

Rock of Ages:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf0048reduced-moonscape.jpg

Dragonfly:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf0117-dragonfly.jpg

Granary (no pics..forgot camera)

Leprachaun East:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf0207reduced-1.jpg

Leprachaun Middle (the hard work one, down through Belfast Boulevard..no photos because no space for packs!)

Pine Creek in Zion (cold & wet...it flowed the day before):
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf0279reduced.jpg

Plus I did Spooky & Peek-a-Boo along HITR:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf9795-sp-paboo.jpg

And several similar "hikes" (as opposed to "canyoneering" routes) in other southern Utah areas:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/868mick/Dscf9725zion-moon.jpg

My fullest thanks and greatest respect for Moabmark & French_de & Ted Ring and the very many regulars on this board who welcomed me with open arms and helped me in my ab initio canyoneering.

But highest marks must go to Iceaxe for his patience, courtesy & friendship in accommodating the inexperienced foreigner, and his enthusiasm to pass on his knowledge and experience to a new Bogleyite such as I.

My thanks to you all.
Rob

moab mark
11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice pictures, the Rock of Ages pic is awes. That's quite a whirlwind trip. Glad you had a great time. So when you coming back? :2thumbs:

Mark

Cirrus2000
11-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Cool, Rob! You got right into it! Good bunch of people, huh? I look forward to meeting more of them, too. Hope to meet up with you another time!

Cam
11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
This is Carroll, you can email me at cam502005@yahoo.com.

I've got a group photo from EB I want to send you.

AJ
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Just got done with my Bogleyfest trip report and photos; they are now up on my website: http://www.adventure-geek.com Look under the "Trips" link on the left; trips are in date order. (Fest was 11/05/09)

Note: If you don't already have a Snapfish account, and don't want to set one up, log in using: snapfish09 (at) yahoo (dot) com and password: photos09

Direct link (although the navigation is designed to work from using the main link above):
http://www.adventure-geek.com/Trips/2009/20091105.htm

Thanks again for the great folks who helped put the trip together, those who led trips, and to everyone for making it a great time!

Hope to see everyone again soon!
A.J.