PDA

View Full Version : Little Niagra - Cataract Canyon flip

Sombeech
06-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Here's a video of one of my friend's parents. Doesn't even look like the frame is tied to the boat. :ne_nau:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pesDpsCWIP0&feature=channel

DiscGo
06-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Why was he paddling backwards? I'm sure he is more experienced than me and there is a logical reason for it but I saw the result I expected from him going back into the main current there.

Alex
06-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Why was he paddling backwards? I'm sure he is more experienced than me and there is a logical reason for it but I saw the result I expected from him going back into the main current there.

A back stroke is much more powerful in a raft. He was trying to get away from the hole, but he didn't turn sideways enough to pull left of the hole. He hesitated right before the hole for a second, that cost him the swim. Happens to the best of us every once in a while.

Alex
06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
The frame coming off like that is quite strange. Either shitty straps or he didn't have it tight enough. D-rings could have popped too... :eek2:

Sombeech
06-22-2009, 10:57 AM
He replied to me and said he was tied in, but 3 of the 4 straps snapped. Maybe too loose?

Alex
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Amazing, 3 out of 4? Wow, those things have 1,500-2,000 lbs torque on them. Wonder if they were old or cheapo straps? I had some straps come loose on me, bad buckles.

I think I am going to put 6 straps on my frames from now on, just in case.

What did he say about the approach? It seemed like he wasn't sure on the approach and saw the drop too late and didn't turn on time.

utidcapaco
08-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I think DisGo was asking why he was paddling backwards in the hole. If so, he was either playing (wanting to get further into the hole) or badly confused. :haha: