PDA

View Full Version : Zion - Pine Creek Conditions

MiCanyoneer
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Plan on doing Pine Creek in a few days and wondering if anyone has been through recently.
How much water is in the canyon?

ratagonia
06-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Plan on doing Pine Creek in a few days and wondering if anyone has been through recently.
How much water is in the canyon?

The canyon flashed yesterday JUNE 17th, so it is full of water.

This year, seems like there is more sand in there than I have seen before. So there are not a lot of swims. Bottom of the first rap, Cathedral, a couple short places after that.

Tom

jman
06-19-2009, 03:50 AM
This year, seems like there is more sand in there than I have seen before.

I agree. The same goes for the Subway too in some parts. Like at the last rappel at the end of the subway, you can head left to exit the canyon, or go right to the "subway shower" - and its been a few years since I've the done the Subway but last month all those potholes leading to the shower are filled up with the sand. I remember back in 2003 those were completely empty of sand and the water would be chest level all the way to it. Makes you wonder if the sand eventually goes away... :(

ratagonia
06-19-2009, 07:16 AM
This year, seems like there is more sand in there than I have seen before.

I agree. The same goes for the Subway too in some parts. Like at the last rappel at the end of the subway, you can head left to exit the canyon, or go right to the "subway shower" - and its been a few years since I've the done the Subway but last month all those potholes leading to the shower are filled up with the sand. I remember back in 2003 those were completely empty of sand and the water would be chest level all the way to it. Makes you wonder if the sand eventually goes away... :(

Because those pools are spring fed, they clean out over the course of a couple of months, if there are no flash floods to fill them in again.

Tom