PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-lite backpacking shelter - tips?

MajorHavoK
06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm trying to replace my REI camp dome 2 tent which has been a GREAT tent.. but some room for improvement.. The pros of the camp dome are price(like 100 bucks for a very hardy tent!) 2 minute setup/teardown time from in bag to setup and inside including rainfly. Plus its freestanding. The Cons are the 5 pound weight and it doesn't have room for 2 plus gear, and really small rainfly that offers no protection for any gear outside the tent.

I've been drooling over these silnyl tarp shelters like the Outdoor Research nighthaven and MSR Twin Sisters with room for 2+gear that are like 2 LBS and can be (supposedly) in snow as well as keeping the rain/bugs off you year round. I like that I use my trekking poles instead of a couple extra pounds for dedicated tent poles.

I am wondering if anyone has one of these and can make a recommendation. Shaving 2-3 LBS in one purchase from my packweight it's pretty significant but I don't want to be blown away by wind gusts(i have been rolled before in a bigger tent.. not fun) or freeze to death because my big agnes down bag gets wet at night..

Any experiences with these shelters would be appeciated.. I'm leaning towards the nighthaven because it already has a partial floor and they sell a footprint/floor for it to keep you and your gear cleaner/dryer inside..

Thanks!

erial
06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Have used a Rainbow from http://www.tarptent.com/index.html the past few years. It's served me well on trips to Utah and Colorado. Tarptent offers a larger size (Squall). Might be something to consider.

MajorHavoK
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Have used a Rainbow from http://www.tarptent.com/index.html the past few years. It's served me well on trips to Utah and Colorado. Tarptent offers a larger size (Squall). Might be something to consider.

Nice link! I really like the "Contrail" design with the netting inside and no chance of touching my sleeping bag to a moist wall.. and it has gear storage outside which might make it work for two people to sleep close together. Not quite as easy to setup though.. but I guess I can't have everything. :) Just have to find a nice flat spot to put in stakes..

A two person shelter that's waterproof, has shelter for gear and weighs less than two pounds including the optional tyvek groundcover is pretty impressive.

denaliguide
06-14-2009, 09:46 PM
i have used my silnylon tarp for years. get the biggest one (within reason) you think you will use. the bigger the better especially when it rains. mine is 10'x12'. works well as a solo shelter but is also large enough for 2. just ask cirrus( :haha: ) only weighs 1.5 lbs. easy to pitch in various configurations. they aren't cheep.

Cirrus2000
06-15-2009, 04:58 AM
the bigger the better especially when it rains. mine is 10'x12'. works well as a solo shelter but is also large enough for 2. just ask cirrus( :haha: )
Just keep in mind - in a thunderstorm, if you're not centered under it, the one at the edge may get wet. If that's the case, wake the other guy up, and tell him to move the f&$# over. (I'll have to remember that next time...) :haha:

denaliguide
06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
the bigger the better especially when it rains. mine is 10'x12'. works well as a solo shelter but is also large enough for 2. just ask cirrus( :haha: )
Just keep in mind - in a thunderstorm, if you're not centered under it, the one at the edge may get wet. If that's the case, wake the other guy up, and tell him to move the f&$# over. (I'll have to remember that next time...) :haha:

that there would be the voice of experience. :roflol:

bobb169
06-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Tarptent Rainbow...Can easily sit up in it. Enough room for me and my pack. Held up in a 50mph wind thunderstorm in Canyonlands very well. If you want a little bigger there is a Double Rainbow.