PDA

View Full Version : Little Wild Horse conditions

Scott Card
06-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Bagged the idea of fishing in the Uintas last week and chose to take my 7 yr old sone and 9 year old daughter to Little Wild Horse/ Bell canyons while my wife was with my other two daughters at an LDS girls camp. We pulled up to camp at Goblin Valley but they were full so we headed around the butte just outside the State Park and set up camp. Just a few sprinkles at night. We got up cooked breakfast and off we went. We passed one small family at the first up climb and then passed a scout troop coming down LWH about 2/3 the way up. There were several overweight leaders. They must have not got the memo. They mentioned we would hit water soon. HUH???? Sure enough, there was a lovely pool. I looked for an alternate route around but didn't see an obvious one that didn't require a bit of climbing. I decided against that with my kids. So, off went the pack in exchange for my kids, one at a time. I piggy backed them through the pool. The water was mid-belly deep on the left LUC and breath takingly cold. It was deeper to the right and in the middle. I know. The kids wanted to get in but the temps that day were not that warm and they were in cotton clothes. Bad idea, so against their protests I said no. The rest of the hike was as expected. The trail is well signed at the junction of Bell and LWH and at the top where you head west and again at the junction Bell and the 4WD track. The kids had a great time and we were out in about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. I did keep the pace up through LWH due to my concerns with rain but once I had a clear view of the sky from the top my fears went away. Sorry no pics. I was too concerned with all the details of the trip that I forgot my camera. I just thought that if you were considering LWH, you may want to know about the pool. I darn near wore a pair of new hiking boots and I am glad I didn't. I opted for my Canyoneers and all synthetic clothes which dried nicely before Bell Canyon.

moab mark
06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. I've got to go check out Goblin Valley. Haven't been there since I was a kid.

Mark

Udink
06-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm in a similar situation (with a 6- and 8-year-old) and have been wanting to do LWH. I may try it next weekend if the weather clears up and nothing else comes up.

Scott Card
06-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. I've got to go check out Goblin Valley. Haven't been there since I was a kid.

Mark My kids still had energy to burn after our hike so we went to Goblin Valley. Still the same fun playground for kids. They had a great time for about 2 hours.

jman
06-13-2009, 08:45 PM
you definitely got to go Mark. Goblin Valley is my favorite exploring spot.

Not much people know about the "secret" cave that goes in 50+ feet there and its a very cool (temp wise) to have a lunch for 8+ people, and then you can chimney out on top to the highest level of Goblin Valley.

One time I found a large pit (probably goes 50ft or more) in the heart of the mountains there. And then I spent extruciating hours trying to locate it again last year but couldn't. I asked the rangers where it is and they couldn't tell me cause "there is too much trouble there". Whatever that means...

Have fun though when you go!

So, I included a pic of the cave I mentioned above, and also the whereabouts of where it might be in Goblin Valley (I didn't have a GPS with me to pinpoint sorry). You'll be headed east and hit some semi-tall cliffs and on its located on the north side of the cliffs. It's somewhat easy to find. It's one of those "got to see" things.