PDA

View Full Version : Girl Names

DiscGo
06-05-2009, 05:22 PM
My wife and I are going to have a daughter in September. Not having we like for our daughter is killing me. So far I like one name but don't know how the best way to spell it would be.

What do you guys think of the name "Uh"-"Lee"-"Ya"?

And how would you spell it?

BTW-If we name here "Uh"-"Lee"-"Ya" (spelled correctly) we would actually call her Allie most of her life but we would like her to have more options.

Don
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Lee or "Lee-uh" might end up being nick names instead of the planned Allie. So you're thinking Alia for spelling? Alya is going to be "A-ly-a" when pronounced and Aleea doesn't look right.

KapitanSparrow
06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I would suggest you pick a good Polish name like Ania, Anna, or Alicja or Magdalena or Jagodka. American names that I can suggest are Elliana and Kayla (my nieces).

Congrats!

Last Child
06-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Congrats on the newish brat. :2thumbs:

I am hoping since you posted this here that you want honest opinions? So honestly? I don't care for the Uhleah name. To me it sounds depreciatory. But that is just me. The "Uh" sound has always made me think....Duhhhhh. It also sounds like your trying too hard to come up with something original off of the somewhat typical name of Leah.

I also always think of what the other kids will rhyme with to make fun. You know like Homer Simpson did with Bart.

"A-art, B-Bart, C-cart, D-dart, E-art, nope nothing rymes with Bart..."

First thing that came to my mind with Uhleah was the long drawn out... Duhhh or Uhhhhh with the goal being the insinuation of stupidity.

I wouldn't do that to my daughter. :ne_nau:

It also sounds like someone might be a fan of this song. I apologize for this link ahead of time. Ok song but this guy is a total tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i19DrZUr7u0

I like the name Natalie. It's never over used. I only know a handful of Natalie's and they are all beautiful people.

I also like the name Angelina Jolie.... :mrgreen:

DiscGo
06-06-2009, 06:36 AM
My grandpa lived with is growing up until he passed away when I was 11. He is still one of my great heroes and I would likely still wet the bet if not for him and his help. Anyway, I could give a long list of how awesome he was. His name was Alburn, but he was referred to by my family as Grandpa Al. There is NO WAY I am going to have an Alburn, so I was thinking if we named here Aaliyah, and we called her Ali (Ally, Allie, I don't really know), it would be as close to naming a child after him as I can come.

Anyway, I like the name. I think it is really pretty but I don't know how I would spell it and I think that would be a bother for her. I really am looking for honest opinions, so I do appreciate Don & LastChild being willing to state some of the cons.

uintahiker
06-06-2009, 08:42 AM
As one doing the name thing right now as well (our first is coming in September), I'll add a few comments

1. Don't do the funky spelling thing. Ashley is much better than Ashleigh

2. Why not name her what you're going to call her? To me it makes sense. I hate it when parents intend to call kids by their middle name. Hello here! Why not just make the middle name the first name!?

blueeyes
06-06-2009, 11:27 AM
2. Why not name her what you're going to call her? To me it makes sense. I hate it when parents intend to call kids by their middle name. Hello here! Why not just make the middle name the first name!?

Because Chere' Amie doesn't sound as pretty as Amie Chere' . Plus it is french and supposedly said as Amie Chere' it means my beloved friend. Besides it has advantages. If someone calls asking for Amie... I immediately respond "I am sorry she is not here right now can I take a message". If you are a friend you know my name. :nod:

Discgo speaking from someone who has an unusual name. She will have issues with it being mispronounced or mispelled. It has never bothered me unless I don't like the person who is mispronouncing my name. Then out of irritation I correct them.

I like your choice Aaliyah. One other option would be to lose an "a" Aliyah. Hebrew meaning rising or ascending.

Nothing wrong with naming her Allie that is very cute and what you want to call her. Allie means precious, noble, bright, famous; man's defender, warrior depending on gender.

You could spell Aaliyah as Alia if you want short, sweet and simple. Also a version of Allie.

Looking at Alburn I see Aubri but you can't shorten that to Allie.

At any rate congratulations!

Wasatch Rebel
06-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Why not consider Siouxsie?

Kent K25
06-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Major pet peeve of mine too. I have many friends with names like that or who have always gone by their nickname that their parents planned to call them even before birth. Never heard of anyone changing from the nickname to the full name option.

But hey, it's your girl do what YOU want :)

P.S. love the name and have always seen it was Aaliyah or Alia and prefer the first. The second just looks like Ale - ee - uh

Wasatch Rebel
06-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Major pet peeve of mine too. I have many friends with names like that or who have always gone by their nickname that their parents planned to call them even before birth. Never heard of anyone changing from the nickname to the full name option.

Yeah. That really sucks. I've had to deal with that my entire life. It was a pain in the butt to have to say, "uh...it's not Darren, it's Shane" in every single class when roll was called on the first day. I'm telling you, think long and hard before doing this to a kid. :nono:

Sombeech
06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
My wife has an unusual name. One life lesson learned from her is don't give your child any more life difficulties by having her name constantly mispronounced and misspelled.

Imagine every roll call, your child speaking out and saying "It's pronounced _________" or getting every letter, invitation, and email with a misspelled name.

It's great to be original, but sometimes the child wishes for a name like Sally. :haha:

JP
06-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Congratulations :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Jaxx
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I like the name. I like both spellings Chere mentioned so I am no help. But one tip I will throw in is to check what the name rhymes with. Kids are cruel.

Iceaxe
06-08-2009, 10:33 AM

X2

I go by my middle name.... I was intended to be called by my middle name from birth.... I'd like to kick my mom right in the crotch for saddling me with my "real" name second...

:cool2:

blueeyes
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Ice that is awfully violent for Mama's little boy. :lol8:

Wasatch Rebel
06-08-2009, 05:04 PM

X2

I go by my middle name.... I was intended to be called by my middle name from birth.... I'd like to kick my mom right in the crotch for saddling me with my "real" name second...

:cool2:

All that being said, though, I like the name! And the nickname!

devo_stevo
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Why not consider Siouxsie?

Love Siouxsie Sioux. Not sure I'd name my daughter after her though. :haha:

Congrats Disgo. Girls are great (except when they're not :haha: ). I've got 2 of them myself, Zoee Anne (7) and Sarah Marli (2).

I'd say name her what you want, but don't spell it all crazy. I hate it when people give their kids a normal sounding name and then spell it phonetically or some crazy thing like that.

DiscGo
06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I also hate weird spellings. That is why I wanted to see how you guys thought the name is supposed to be spelled. Thanks for the feedback guys.