PDA

View Full Version : Rock Rings or Hangboard?

cookiecutter
06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm wanting something to help build my overall upper body strength and want to spend the least money as possible. Rock Rings are the cheapest of the two, but would I be sacrificing a lot of training potential if I went that route?

I'm new to climbing, just wanting a tool to help me get going

thanks!

cookiecutter

Brian in SLC
06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm wanting something to help build my overall upper body strength and want to spend the least money as possible. Rock Rings are the cheapest of the two, but would I be sacrificing a lot of training potential if I went that route?

Maybe. I go to the climbing gym, but, I don't "train" much. Have a hangboard though, and, have done a bit on it over the years (mostly collects dust, though).

Read some of this:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/Articles/Training_and_Technique/The_Making_of_a_Rockprodigy__258.html

Mike was a local SLC area feller and he's a workout-a-holic. Given what he's researched, written about, and applied to outdoor climbing, his stuff is worth a look. Kinda starts with a hangboard.

If you really get into it, or, even if you don't, then I'd recommend one of the newer training books for climbing. Or, browse through a couple of the training forums (rockclimbing.com or mountainproject both have forums dedicated to training).

Good luck,

-Brian in SLC

Deathcricket
06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I just ran across this today so haven't had time to let you know if they work. But they are dirt cheap and even though MMA use them to train their hands. I think it might actually work for rock climbing. I'm going to try these out myself but thought I would share since our goals seem to match. You'll spend next to nothing with these.
:five:
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/trainingthehands.html

[quote]Wrist Roller

Deeps
06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I know a lot of MMA fighters (long story, another life) and the hand work they do is incredibly simple. I'm going to see a bunch of them tonight at the Ultimate Combat Training Center

Deathcricket
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
[quote=Deeps]I know a lot of MMA fighters (long story, another life) and the hand work they do is incredibly simple. I'm going to see a bunch of them tonight at the Ultimate Combat Training Center

cookiecutter
06-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I just ran across this today so haven't had time to let you know if they work. But they are dirt cheap and even though MMA use them to train their hands. I think it might actually work for rock climbing. I'm going to try these out myself but thought I would share since our goals seem to match. You'll spend next to nothing with these.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/trainingthehands.html

Hey that is some good stuff! Thanks for sharing it, that'll sure save me a bunch of money. I just need to figure out a way to set up a pull up bar without putting one on the door.

Thanks for the help!

Deeps
06-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Alright, I checked in with the MMA fighters at the UCTC between bouts tonight. Here is what they had to say tonight:

1. Fill two bags with sand and duct tape the tops. Carry them around with elbows at 90 degrees, hands perpendicular to the floor. Add more sand when you can. Do this until you can't.

2. Jump up onto a pull up bar and dead hang for 5, then 10, then 15. Use a monkey grip (both thumbs with fingers instead of wrapping around the bar.

3. The finger pushups were mentioned.

4. Walking. On. Hands. They laughed, but they weren't kidding.

One of them said he climbed in the past, and that all of this would be good for forearms and hand/fingers.

cookiecutter
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Just picked up a pass to the local gym. Climbed for 3 1/2 hours, I am officially spent. Definitely time for me to start a little strength training

Deathcricket
06-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Nice Deeps! All very good suggestions. Woohoo!

Just wanted to update you guys also. I made this last weekend and it seems to work decent. Cost less than $5. 2 studs each cut to 4 feet and then achored to ceiling beams with decks screws. Then used remaining pieces to do the cross beams. I put the rope so I could climb up and grab it, but if you have a normal 8 foot ceiling I imagine you could just jump up and grab it.

I just hang on em for as long as I can. That's usually about 40 seconds. Then rest a min and grab them again. Since they are in the garage I see them pretty often and try to hang on them any time I'm taking out the garbage or going out to look at the garden, etc. So far they have been getting good use.
:2thumbs: