PDA

View Full Version : The Angels

Iceaxe
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Here are four new slot canyons just added to Climb-Utah.com for you to enjoy......... have fun and stay safe.

Fallen Angel
http://climb-utah.com/Powell/angelfallen.htm

Angel Cove
http://climb-utah.com/Powell/angelcove.htm

Angel Cove - South Fork
http://climb-utah.com/Powell/angelcove.htm

Angel Slot
http://climb-utah.com/Powell/angelslot.htm

Fallen Angel
http://climb-utah.com/Powell/Files/angelfallen1.jpg

Angel Cove
http://climb-utah.com/Powell/Files/angelcove1.jpg

Angel Slot
http://climb-utah.com/Powell/Files/angelslot1.jpg

DWayne27
06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
If the other canyons are as good as Angel Slot, I need to set up a trip back down there pretty soon... well, maybe in the fall when the temperature is back down to nice

CarpeyBiggs
06-02-2009, 09:26 PM
these are definitely some good canyons, especially in the mini-slot category.

special thanks should be given to wyoming dave, of course, for putting out the information for these canyons.

Iceaxe
06-03-2009, 12:06 PM
special thanks should be given to wyoming dave, of course, for putting out the information for these canyons.

Looks like you missed the new stuff....

Not to dis' Dave as he has done a great job, but some credit to Dave and some credit to many others.....

:cool2:

CarpeyBiggs
06-03-2009, 10:38 PM

Looks like you missed the new stuff....

Not to dis' Dave as he has done a great job, but some credit to Dave and some credit to many others.....

:roflol:

nope, i didn't miss anything. but your point is well received. who exactly should be given credit for the "angels?" i know YOU didn't do the legwork, so certainly, you should be crediting someone...

if you are gonna yank peoples canyons that are generously shared, entirely free of charge, and then put them up on a pay-site, at the very least, you could show some common courtesy and credit the ones who gave you the information.

it is, afterall, the polite thing to do.

Iceaxe
06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
:roll:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17393

Iceaxe
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Funny how those relatively new to the sport always think they know the history..... and for some reason the history always begins when they arrived on the scene... Not that it really matters but here is the history and credit of Angel Slot and the Angels that I know.... I'm sure their is more I don't know....

The first person I know who did Angel Slot was a guy named Art that lived in Hanksville. Art was the first guy to do many of the slots in the Hanksville area. This was in the 70's and 80's. I first heard about many of the area slots through Art's widow (Tom Talboys was who directed me to Art's widow). Art was killed in a helicopter crash before I started doing canyons seriously and I never met him. But his widow, although not a canyoneer, still remembered where some of Art's routes were and shared them with us....

As a side note: Among many of my friends the up Middle Maidenwater and down South Maidenwater is called "Art's Loop" as that was the first of Art's routes we did and the name was to honor Art.

Anyhoo.... Jump ahead to about 2002 and I was doing some of the area canyons with Dave Black. We knew of the slot but not it's exact location, we just knew it emptied into Beaver Creek. We tried to find it but were looking at the head of Beaver Creek and not a side drainage and missed it... in October of 2003 I was looking a aerial photos of the area and located the slot.

I sent Steve Ramras (Ram) information on the slot, including the aerial photo's and a map and asked if knew anything about it (FWIW: I still have the email exchange with Ram and it's dated November 2003). Ram told me he knew nothing, but that Steve Mestdagh might, I contacted Steve and he knew of the slot and I shared some additional beta with him.

Over the years I exchanged beta on this slot to Ram, Ryan Cornia, Bruce Neumann, Dave Black, Jason Pease and probably many more.

The first descent I know of Angel Cove might belong to Jason Pease around 2005, I remember him sending me a TR on one of the slots north of Angel Slot., I can't find his TR to verify which slot exactly he went down.

The first descent of Fallen Angel that I know of was Bruce Neumann and his friends. I know Bruce had been looking at all these slots for a couple of years.

So.... you can spread the credit wherever you want, it's no skin off my butt.... I never descended any of these slots during this time in question. I personally take no credit with anything to do with Angel Slot or any of the Angels, as I was not the first to do the routes or pass along the beta. The only thing I did was put it on my website along with the hundreds of other routes already there.

:popcorn:

Davewyo
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Now, now, let's not get our panties in a twist.
I very much doubt that I have ever been the "first" down any cayon.
I am asking for no recognition, although I have received many "Thank Yous" from various people including Ice on a few occasions.
In fact, when I asked Shane for beta a few years ago, he gave it to me freely and with a spirit of sharing.
Don't worry, there are numerous canyons out there, and as far as I know there isn't any "formal" competition for us engaged in.
Enjoy yourself, and try not to take it too seriously...
Dave

Iceaxe
06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Dave, I really appreciate the slots you have been sharing and you certainly get the credit for popularizing Angel Slot.

The cheap shots that Crappy takes is a long time thing and I don't expect them to end any time soon. I just have a problem when canyoneering history gets rewritten and try to post the history I know when the opportunity arrives. As I've learned over the years, if it's not written down it didn't happen.

PS: When are we going to see your mini-guide?

Jaxx
06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks to everyone involved in the Angel slots. Also thanks for all the beta you both have provided. Love all around!

Davewyo
06-04-2009, 11:55 AM
PS: When are we going to see your mini-guide?

It should be a couple of days, 3 or 4 at most.
Dave

moab mark
06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Back to our regularly scheduled programing, have they built a best western in this area yet so I can enjoy a nice shower at the end of the day. :2thumbs:
It's time to start branching out and seeing some new country.

As far as beta, whether I have to pay or get it for free as long as it's available so myself or others can enjoy the better. I have helped Shane out on a few routes and he seems more then willing to share beta that is not on his site. :2thumbs:
I have no idea how Shanes site does financially but to be able to go canyoneering and write off the expenses. :hail2thechief:
To someone who owns a few small business, if you can't expense something figure out how you can.

Mark

Iceaxe
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Back to our regularly scheduled programing, have they built a best western in this area yet so I can enjoy a nice shower at the end of the day.

You are in trouble with this area.... the only place to stay (or dare to stay) is the Whispering Sands in Hanksville.... the rooms are OK, but expensive for what you get, also... no pool.... places to eat are a couple of burger barns.

North Wash, Posion Springs, Dirty Devil, Angels stuff are all cool weather and winter slots.

James_B_Wads2000
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
if you are gonna yank peoples canyons

Oh does he also own a parcel of land above Oak Creek? Is there a $500 fee to ZAC to do these slots too?:haha:

Get over yourself Carpey. There are plenty of douche elitist in the canyoneering community and Shane is not one of them. He may be the world biggest smart-ass, but he seems to me to just really want to share his hobby with like-minded individuals. And make a zillion dollars off the Circle of Friends money. :five:

James

moab mark
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Back to our regularly scheduled programing, have they built a best western in this area yet so I can enjoy a nice shower at the end of the day.

You are in trouble with this area.... the only place to stay (or dare to stay) is the Whispering Sands in Hanksville.... the rooms are OK, but expensive for what you get, also... no pool.... places to eat are a couple of burger barns.

North Wash, Posion Springs, Dirty Devil, Angels stuff are all cool weather and winter slots.

Spent many nights in whispering sands jeeping. It will do but the grand america would be better. :roflol:

Scott Card
06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Now, now, let's not get our panties in a twist.
I very much doubt that I have ever been the "first" down any cayon.
I am asking for no recognition, although I have received many "Thank Yous" from various people including Ice on a few occasions.
In fact, when I asked Shane for beta a few years ago, he gave it to me freely and with a spirit of sharing.
Don't worry, there are numerous canyons out there, and as far as I know there isn't any "formal" competition for us engaged in.
Enjoy yourself, and try not to take it too seriously...
DaveVery classy response, Dave. :2thumbs:

french_de
06-04-2009, 04:36 PM

:cool2:There are a couple more places to stay in Hanksville. One is the Best Value Inn. It used to be a cheap place to stay although a couple notches down from the Whispering Sand but lately he has been charging 79.00 a night - no longer the best value. There is a new place in town that ought to add to the competition. It is the old Fern's Place.

http://www.henrymountainhideout.com/

Iceaxe
06-04-2009, 06:30 PM
It is the old Fern's Place.

http://www.henrymountainhideout.com/

Sweet.... Fern's used to be the best place for the money to stay.

:2thumbs: