PDA

View Full Version : 18 yr old starting up Nature Tourism Business??

cookiecutter
06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
So I'm thinking of ways to make a little extra money (I already run a profitable lawn care business) and I started thinking of ways to make some money doing the things I love do to: spending time outdoors. So what I was thinking (this is all just thoughts right now) was coming up with a business that would cater to younger guys that are stuck in their houses all summer. I would plan out proven trips including: awesome mountain biking routes, great hikes, backcountry swimming holes, secluded camping spots, etc.. Each trip would be a day trip unless a camping trip was wanted, all meals and snacks would be included, maybe some campfire stories and guitar playing. I would keep cost as low as possible, mostly enough to cover expenses of the trip and give me a few extra bucks doing something I love. Me and a couple of my friends have been doing these trips for years and I believe we have a lot of good knowledge to give younger guys a fun time. I'm sick of seeing boys cooked up in houses wasting adventures they could be having.

I'm asking for opinions and feedback on my idea. ANY criticism, possible problems, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.

One huge problem I see is that I am only 18 yrs old. I'm not sure if parents would be trusting of a guy my age. I'm in good standing with the community and was the high schools student body president, I'm just thinking my age could be a possible deterrent.

DOSS
06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
One thing you will need to look into is Permits and the insurance that you will need. BLM, Forest service and NPS all require 180days notice on the permit and some hefty insurance..

blueeyes
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
http://www.suu.edu/ed/pe/orpt-major.html

http://www.health.utah.edu/prt/undergraduate/programs/adventure.html

Here are two schools that offer degrees in outdoor recreation leadership.

Great idea!

blueeyes
06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
One more idea for ya.

Many of the colleges and universities have an outdoor recreation center that plan trips. I know up here at Weber they plan river rafting trips, snowshoe trips, ski and many others... they are always doing something. They usually are looking for student workers too. So maybe look and see if any are hiring workers.

cookiecutter
06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I am attending Weber this Fall so I will definitely look into such activities, thanks! And thanks for the links, however this is something I would like to do for this summer.
I have anticipated having to get permits and insurance to cover legalities. I am fresh out of high school and am not sure how to obtain these. There are insurance agents in my LDS ward that I am good friends with so I could talk with them, but where would I look to find how to obtain permits?

cookiecutter
06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
thanks for the help

blueeyes
06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
If you are going to be up at Weber this fall you should stop in and say hi, 2nd floor of the Dumke College of Health, directly behind the elevator.

And if you haven't decided what you want to be when you grow up.... well I know of an awesome profession! Lots of potential, good money and you can do it anywhere in the US and abroad.

Deathcricket
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I like your enthusiasm! very good idea to keep costs low. The main deterrent I think would be be "do I spend $40 on a day hike or a video game" for young people. If you want my suggestion I would say design a nice website with tabs on all the stuff you want to do. Put lots of pictures of people having a blast. Then put a schedule up with what trips you are planning and when. Even if you only get a couple people and then have a couple friends go with that will be a decent size to have fun. Then after the trip encourage the person who went to tell their friends, start a "bring 2 friends, you come free again" kinda thing. Then you can add more trips as they fill up. So you could start off slow like once a month, then eventually be doing them every weekend.

I thing the main trick will be to get repeat customers. Once they know your spot or trail, why would they pay you to take them again? If you can maximize that, you'll be golden I think.

cookiecutter
06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
start a "bring 2 friends, you come free again" kinda thing

Sweet idea! Thats definitely something I wouldn't have thought of.

I was thinking the same thing about getting them to come back, its tough once they realize they can do it on their own.

cookiecutter
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
If you are going to be up at Weber this fall you should stop in and say hi, 2nd floor of the Dumke College of Health, directly behind the elevator.

I'm an ambassador for Weber and will be there quite a few times this summer, I'll have to come up and say hi

And if you haven't decided what you want to be when you grow up.... well I know of an awesome profession! Lots of potential, good money and you can do it anywhere in the US and abroad.

Do tell about this great profession...it doesn't happen to be nursing does it??

blueeyes
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
No not nursing! A little bit more behind the scenes, with out us doctors would have a hell of a time diagnosing patients. We also have a nationwide shortage of Technologists. I am talking about Clinical Laboratory Science... when you stop by we can chat and you can meet Janet as well.

cookiecutter
06-03-2009, 07:47 AM
No not nursing! A little bit more behind the scenes, with out us doctors would have a hell of a time diagnosing patients. We also have a nationwide shortage of Technologists. I am talking about Clinical Laboratory Science... when you stop by we can chat and you can meet Janet as well.

I'm currently very interested in becoming a nurse anesthetist, but I would like to hear what you have to say about clinical laboratory science. I'll let ya know when I'm coming down