PDA

View Full Version : National Weather Service Flash Flood Potential

brian_noaaguy
05-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey Everyone,

It's Brian McInerney, Hydrologist from the National Weather Service. I thought I would let everyone know that we are now issuing a flash flood potential product. This forecast gives the atmospheric conditions related to flash flooding across Southern Utah. Additionally, we also have a page with recent flash flood warnings, watches, or statements.

You can access information at this link:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/flashflood/

Any thoughts on the page would be great.

Thanks.

Brian.

Scott Card
05-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I can only assume that when I am looking at the map the outlined areas are the areas of concern? I think maybe a little key or description of what I am looking at (maybe I missed it) would be helpful. I did click on the areas and it pulled up the warnings which was nice. Other than that I really like the site and the info. Thanks!

:2thumbs:

brian_noaaguy
06-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the nice comments on the page.

The areas are the National Park and the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. We thought to name the areas after the Parks and Monuments as most out of town visitors to the state would recognize these places as opposed to features or towns.

Any thoughts on the page or the National Weather Service's flash flood program would be great.

Thanks again for the earlier post.

Iceaxe
06-03-2009, 12:10 PM
So if I'm reading your map correctly nothing is lit up right now because the Southern Utah Flash Flood Potential Rating is dry or low?

brian_noaaguy
06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes. We don't have any flash flood watches or warnings issued today. As the airmass is essentially dry, the flash flood potential represents that. If we did have a watch or warning out, the location of those products would be illustrated on the map.

Thanks for taking a look at the page and the questions.

Deeps
06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Brian - the page looks good on my iPhone. Thanks for not using Flash on a flash flood page. :)

brian_noaaguy
06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Beauty!!!

accadacca
06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Brian - the page looks good on my iPhone. Thanks for not using Flash on a flash flood page. :)
:lol8: