PDA

View Full Version : Finding What We are Looking For

tmartenst
05-21-2009, 01:05 AM
I have searched this site a few times for places and the topics that come up as results are not what I am looking for. Either I don't know the tricks or it seems that the search functionality could be improved.

I think this would be most helpful for locations as we are searching for places to go. For example, if I search for Wind River Range, it would be nice if all the TR's for the Wind Rivers came up. Currently, nothing close comes up. I just posted on the Tetons and that is the top hit when Wind River Range is searched, next is about slot canyons and next is about Gay Marriage! I am just wondering if there is a better way to Tag TR's so peeps can find the real substance faster. I think it would be huge boost to the site as it would become a place to get information instead of digging through a maze to find what you need. Any thoughts?

Sombeech
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
For example, if I search for Wind River Range, it would be nice if all the TR's for the Wind Rivers came up.

What method of search are you using, advaced? It also depends on if the author placed the words "Wind River Range" in their post / title, or if they just said "Wind Rivers".

A couple of years ago, we were maintaining a Trip Report Index, but it was pretty labor intensive for our moderators.

I would suggest modifying your search, removing "range" and search for specific trails, or "Wind AND Rivers".

Another tip is using the http://www.google.com/advanced_search that we've got linked up there. Or if you go to Google, you can search "site specific" by putting this in:

site:bogley.com (along with your requested keywords)

like this:

wind AND river site:bogley.com

With that string, I got these results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=active&q=wind+AND+river+site%3Abogley.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

For now, that's all I can offer you, it's just labor intensive to have our moderators keep the indexes updated every week.

:2thumbs:

tmartenst
05-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Figured it would be. Those google tips are great. I am not searching for anything specific right now, just had less luck the past. I was actually only using the search box above here so maybe that has something to do with it. Ahhh, the things I learn about Bogley on a daily basis.

Sombeech
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, you've gotta realize you're expecting us bogley members to label stuff right. :haha:

ibenick
08-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Just thought I'd revive this topic and say that I think the 30-seconds between search requirement is a real pain in the :bootyshake:.

Since the search engine built into Bogley is, um, less then spectacular, it sure would be nice if you didn't then have to wait 30 seconds to search again. Maybe you could change that so users with more than a few posts don't experience that problem? It would probably cut down on duplicate threads from people frustrated with trying to find an existing thread. Hell, I think the built-in search engine is so worthless that I prefer to just go to google and type in "bogley" followed by what I'm looking for on bogley. Always more effective.

Sombeech
08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
We need to have a google search like we did on the old software. I'll see if I can find something.

The 30 second rule is purely just to limit the server processes at one time.

I still periodically use my same advice as shown above to get very specific results:

Or if you go to Google, you can search "site specific" by putting this in:

site:bogley.com (along with your requested keywords)

like this:

wind AND river site:bogley.com

With that string, I got these results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=active&q=wind+AND+river+site%3Abogley.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

But yes, let me see if I can integrate the google search into the navbar again.