PDA

View Full Version : echo snow?

gwest
05-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Anybody been down Echo yet? beta/speculation on amount of snow? I'm hoping to do it this weekend. Willing to bring ice axes if there's a bit of steep snow to cross, but don't want to get in too nasty of a situation. I'll probably call the Park to see if they have info too. Thanks in advance.

Greg

tanya
05-04-2009, 04:43 AM
If no one else here knows the answer...

and...

If Bo Beck does not get with you, then call him at his store, the Desert Rat in St. George. He talks to the park people and canyoneers all day long at his store and usually knows what's going on with just about everything in Zion. Or PM him. He posts on here a lot, but has been busy lately opening the new outdoor store.

I don't know the store phone number though? But if it's not listed yet, you can all the Ace Hardware store in St. George and ask for the number. They are the owners of the new store.

trackrunner
05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
When doing Echo this is early be sure to hike up from the bottom of the canyon first and scout out the snow bridges, ice, etc. If it's too much for you then you know you can't do it from the top down. Save it for another day.

Iceaxe
05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
What trackrunner said.... if you can hike to the bottom of the final rappel you should be golden. The snow problem occurs between the final rappel and the exit. And the snow problem is different every year. It depends on how much avalanched off the mountain during the winter.

Good luck.

Scott P
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
And the snow problem is different every year. It depends on how much avalanched off the mountain during the winter.

Definately true. Last year it sounds like it still had significant snow in June.

We did Echo in mid-May the year before and not only was there no snow around, but there wasn't much water either.

ratagonia
05-04-2009, 01:34 PM
If no one else here knows the answer...

and...

If Bo Beck does not get with you, then call him at his store, the Desert Rat in St. George. He talks to the park people and canyoneers all day long at his store and usually knows what's going on with just about everything in Zion. Or PM him. He posts on here a lot, but has been busy lately opening the new outdoor store.

I don't know the store phone number though? But if it's not listed yet, you can all the Ace Hardware store in St. George and ask for the number. They are the owners of the new store.

435-628-7277

Enjoy..... :rockon:

ratagonia
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Last year, big snow through June 15th. Kolob also very dangerous (you go first) through about the same timeperiod, as was Engelstead.

see:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/45510

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/45322

This year? I've been looking for an explorer to go check it out. No takers yet.

Tom :moses:

gwest
05-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the contact and for the advice to walk up from the bottom first. Very good to know. I'll try to remember to post about it if we end up doing Echo. thanks!