PDA

View Full Version : Scott Fischer, Mountain Madness, Zion & canyoneering

trackrunner
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Same Scott Fischer of the 1996 Everest disaster.

So I've been reading some mountaineering books (biographys) lately. Just picked up "Mountain Madness" by Robert Birkby a biography of Scott Fischer. Was thumbing through this book and notice some pictures of Mountain Madness logo's over the years. The 1970's logo was from a business card with the adress in Springdale, Ut and listed canyoneering as one of it's activities.

Noticed Scott had a few first assents of big wall climbs in Zion. Any for canyoneering? Anyone get out with him? Any first hand stories you know?

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
The 1970's logo was from a business card with the adress in Springdale, Ut and listed canyoneering as one of it's activities.

Interesting.... I believe that would be the earliest I had seen the term "canyoneering" applied to the sport we all now know and love.

I would also love to know more.... I'm thinking this could really screw up a few of the "First Descent" claims in the Zion area.

:cool2:

Jaxx
04-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Love that book. that guy is such a stud. Sorry I don't really have anything to contribute to the thread.