PDA

View Full Version : Rappel on Webbing?

moab mark
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Last nights question was how to tie a piece of webbing to a rope. Tonight the question is, has anyone ever rappelled on webbing in a dire situation and if you have how did it work out? Or would you go down the webbing like a ton of bricks? :ne_nau:

Mark

ridefire
04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I have tried it several times just for practice, it was fast but worked alright, just need to take it slow.

snccoulter
04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I have used webbing to creat anchors, but you would have to have a real long pice to repel off of it. That probably is not the responce you were looking for.

moab mark
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I have tried it several times just for practice, it was fast but worked alright, just need to take it slow.

Welcome to bogley. How far did you rappel?

Scott P
04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
We've done is several times on short raps. The reason is that we really didn't want to uncoil/coil our long ropes for every little short drop. It works OK, but I wouldn't do it for anything but for a short drop. Other than for that reason listed above, I don't know why anyone would want to do it.

moab mark
04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
We've done is several times on short raps. The reason is that we really didn't want to uncoil/coil our long ropes for every little short drop. It works OK, but I wouldn't do it for anything but for a short drop.
Double or Single strand?

nat
04-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I agree with Scott. I'v rapped off of webbing (1 inch) a few times, always less than about 18ft, and it worked pretty well. Both single and double, with an ATC.

Nat

We've done is several times on short raps. The reason is that we really didn't want to uncoil/coil our long ropes for every little short drop. It works OK, but I wouldn't do it for anything but for a short drop. Other than for that reason listed above, I don't know why anyone would want to do it.

ridefire
04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
always 20 feet or less, single strand with a pirahna

tanya
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Welcome new canyoneering person :five:

ratagonia
04-28-2009, 09:13 PM

You might want to check out those rope bag thingees - a lot people seem to like em.

(wink wink)

Tom :drums:

ratagonia
04-28-2009, 09:16 PM
always 20 feet or less, single strand with a pirahna

Of course, part of the problem is setting up your rappel for the proper friction. Since we *rarely* use webbing for rappels, it's hard to guess the right way to set it up to get the right level of friction. Make a guess, takes your chances. On a short rappel, you can probably muscle it out if you guessed wrong.

Das Boot, 8' rappel into a pool, doubled 1" tubular, overhanging from the start, after my partner dropped the rope. First time I set it up with WAY too much friction, swung over the edge and could not get it to move. Muscled my way back up, and reset with less friction.

T :moses:

oldno7
04-29-2009, 06:26 AM
rapped about 25' in Camp 5 creek. I use a figure 8 and it was difficult to keep the webbing from twisting on itself and locking up in the device. I'm guessing a tube device might be more friendly for rapping on webbing.

pup
04-29-2009, 07:34 AM
We followed a set of summer rangers throught the subway 3 years ago. They didn't carry a rope and rappelled each time on green khaki piece of webbing. I didn't notice if they used figure 8's or ATC's but my guess is ATC's.

oldno7
04-29-2009, 07:48 AM
They didn't carry a rope and rappelled each time on green khaki piece of webbing.

AHA--now we're getting somewhere......... I used tan. :mrgreen:

AJ
04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Have rapped off webbing several times. Once in an emergency, and several times just to play and see what happens. 40 feet was longest rappel. Tube style (ATC) works better than a figure 8, but both can work in a pinch. Seemed to be less friction, but managable in both devices.

Having the webbing flip around and contort happened in both devices, binding seemed more a more likely result in the 8; but it never bound up in either device for me. Because of the flipping/contorting, it was harder to make a smooth rappel; but in an emergency, can definitely be used...

YMMV

Iceaxe
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Tonight the question is, has anyone ever rappelled on webbing in a dire situation and if you have how did it work out?

I have rappeled on webbing dozens of times for different reasons. It works amazing well. If I remember correctly I have rappeled webbing using the following devise with no big problems... Figure 8, ATC, B-52, ATC XP Pro. I would rate descent speed on 1" webbing to about equal with an 8mm rope. Webbing is not as smooth as a rope as the rap device bounces over the twists.

YMMV
:cool2:

Scott Card
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM

You might want to check out those rope bag thingees - a lot people seem to like em.

(wink wink)

Tom :drums:I am a rope bag thingee lover. and quit winking at me...... :haha:

I have also rapped from webbing. I like rope.

Reedus
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Rapped out of Heaps on 1 inch webbing...scary as hell...wouldn't recommend

Iceaxe
04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Rapped out of Heaps on 1 inch webbing...scary as hell...wouldn't recommend

300' of 1" webbing?!?!? :eek2:

Why?

:popcorn:

Scott Card
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Rapped out of Heaps on 1 inch webbing...scary as hell...wouldn't recommend :eek2: how many feet of webbing did you have????? :eek2:

Reedus
04-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Dropped the rope trying to set up rappel, lucky we had 2 150 foot spools of 1 inch webbing we tied together. Smallest guy (me) went down and sent the rope back up

nat
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow, that's impressive. And you brought 2 150 ft spools of 1" webbing down Heaps? I guess they were meant to be combined for the pul cord for the last rap?

Nat

Dropped the rope trying to set up rappel, lucky we had 2 150 foot spools of 1 inch webbing we tied together. Smallest guy (me) went down and sent the rope back up

Iceaxe
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Dropped the rope trying to set up rappel

OOPS! :help:

trackrunner
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Dropped the rope trying to set up rappel

Not enough info. Who dropped the rope? we want names?

Smallest guy (me) went down and sent the rope back up

yeah right smallets guy. If it was me I'd make the guy who dropped the rope go down.

Sounds like your group did the same

:lol8:

Iceaxe
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
yeah right smallets guy. If it was me I'd make the guy who dropped the rope go down.

Sounds like your group did the same

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Exactly what I was thinking.....

:popcorn:

Reedus
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I dropped the rope. So much for the competent canyoneer of the group. Didn't take the weight of the rope into account when I tossed that heavy wet bitch off the ledge. Had it in my hand and was standing on the end, when the weight hit, it yanked out from underneath my foot and was gone before I knew what happened.

ratagonia
04-29-2009, 07:55 PM
I dropped the rope. So much for the competent canyoneer of the group. Didn't take the weight of the rope into account when I tossed that heavy wet bitch off the ledge. Had it in my hand and was standing on the end, when the weight hit, it yanked out from underneath my foot and was gone before I knew what happened.

Which is why Reedus will now be tying the top end of the rope into the anchor before he hucks it off....

ha ha!

T

oldno7
04-30-2009, 06:35 AM

What knot did you use to tie the 2 pieces of webbing together?
What was your method of passing a knot in webbing, 150' off the deck,freehanging?(not that the later 2 make a difference, only psychologically):ne_nau:

Reedus
04-30-2009, 07:00 AM

What was your method of passing a knot in webbing, 150' off the deck,freehanging?(not that the later 2 make a difference, only psychologically):ne_nau:

Used the trusty ole' square knot to tie em' together. As for passing the knot, we forgot our decending devices, so I hand-lined it down. The knot was easy, one hand over two. You should have seen the look on the faces on the oriental tourists after I Macgyvered my ass down that baby.

oldno7
04-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Used the trusty ole' square knot to tie em' together. As for passing the knot, we forgot our decending devices, so I hand-lined it down. The knot was easy, one hand over two. You should have seen the look on the faces on the oriental tourists after I Macgyvered my ass down that baby.

That's exactly what I was thinking :lol8:

oldno7
04-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Reedus
I'm "knot" suprised that you drew Tom into this, but Shane............
he's the one who steals beer out of trucks in the Roost and drives home nekid throwing his clothes out along the way. :haha:

ratagonia
04-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Reedus
I'm "knot" suprised that you drew Tom into this, but Shane............
he's the one who steals beer out of trucks in the Roost and drives home nekid throwing his clothes out along the way. :haha:

Never drew me in... ha ha.. I was just playing along!! . I know webbing comes in 300' spools so no knot needed...

T

Iceaxe
04-30-2009, 08:16 AM

Awesome.... perfect execution...

:2thumbs:

Now.... if I can just get this dang hook out of my mouth...

:lol8:

Reedus
04-30-2009, 08:18 AM
You guys are some Kool-aid drinking bastards... :haha:

Scott Card
04-30-2009, 08:23 AM
:lol8: How do I get that worm taste out of my mouth.

moab mark
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Well done. This could get you band from bogley. :roflol:

oldno7
04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Well done. This could get you band from bogley. :roflol:

I just hope you don't get "banned" from the "band" with those comments. :rockon:

Are you sure you didn't go to Bountiful High? :haha:

moab mark
04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Bite me. :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: