PDA

View Full Version : Bogley Stimulus Ideas

RedMan
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I saw President Obama challenge all government employees to submit their ideas on trimming the budget.

I'd be interested in seeing what my fellow Bogleyites might have in mind for stimulus money worthy ideas?

What project/program can you suggest that is worthy of spending stimulus money on? I don't want to spend time pointing out why someones idea sucks PLEASE. The idea is to promote ideas, not squash them.

Generally this needs to be something that pays back in some way rather than simply blowing a bunch of cash.

For example I personally think we should immediately start converting street lights to LED. Current estimates are that LED equivelent street lighting would save 50-80% of energy consumption. The city of Los Angeles estimates it will cost $57M to convert 140,000 of 209,000 street lights with a resulting savings of $10M per year. The lights will last 11.5 years if run 12 hours per day.

This will save 68,640,000 kWh/year of energy and save 40,500t/CO2/year in LA alone.

A nationwide program would make a major dent in CO2 output and Energy consumption.

Your thoughts?

BruteForce
04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
And immediate buy-back of all CO2 emitting vehicles (gas/diesel) and replacement with some form of non-fossil fuel burning Hybrid/Electric car for all registered car owners.

For those with non-standard vehicles (RV's, ATV's), a conversion kit.

Don
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Free, full membership to those paid online dating services for single people would get them spending money on dates... or at least on condoms.

canyonphile
04-28-2009, 08:31 AM
LOVE and TOTALLY AGREE with the idea of switching to LED lights in cities! :2thumbs:

Some thoughts off the top of my head

1) work on refurbishing/re-establishing the rail infrastructure and other forms of mass transit (with use of electric trains/streetcars/etc.) to assist in getting people out of their cars in large towns and cities. Provide financial incentives (like tax breaks) to people to use more public transit.

2) help develop and promote locally-based, sustainable agriculture by converting areas of urban decay (Detroit, anyone?) into functional food-growing land and orchards. In addition to reducing the need for fossil fuels for food production, it also would make fresh foods more available to the people who have difficulty affording them and help combat the ever-increasing obesity problem in this country. Oh yeah, and STOP subsidizing farmers to grow corn and other monoculture commodity crops that are used to make all the junk food crap that's helping making us a nation of fatties. Take that money and put it towards converting industrial agriculture land into farms like this one (http://www.polyfacefarms.com//).

3) Require any able-bodied person getting any type of welfare to work for their money, doing things that paid govt. workers do now, like collect garbage, pick up trash and remove graffiti, or plant flowers, trees or clean govt. offices, etc.

-SJ

:popcorn:

GOCK
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Do away with the welfare system completely and give individuals more incentiv (Tax breaks) for charitable contributions. Require Charitable organizations to give 90% back to those in need.

At the very least drug test those on welfare.

Use our own nations resources for fuel/power production (reducing need to bribe other countries or fight them for theirs).

Create huge incentive (cash rewards, scholarships, tax breaks, etc) for new "clean power" ideas, renewable energy (I know the ideas are out there they are simply being supressed).

Create more trails for ATV's, Hikers, bikers, motorcylces or what ever in the mountains to be managed by teh afore mentioned charitable organizations to stop over crouding and over use, nature is amazingly able to take care of its self.

Create more insentive for recycling.

snccoulter
04-28-2009, 06:53 PM
And immediate buy-back of all CO2 emitting vehicles (gas/diesel) and replacement with some form of non-fossil fuel burning Hybrid/Electric car for all registered car owners.

For those with non-standard vehicles (RV's, ATV's), a conversion kit.
If someone wanted to pay to convert my JEEP into an vehicle tah did not fun on gas but was just as good i would let them.

LOAH
04-28-2009, 08:22 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Legalize marijuana and save the economy.

It's a huge cash crop with major export potential, plus it will free up jail space for actual criminals.

So much more I could write, but many have probably heard my spiel already.

Last Child
04-29-2009, 05:49 AM
I read an article a while back that claimed legalizing herb would result in 10 billion+ in policing, eradication, prosecuting, incarcerating cost + the added income for California alone.

I totally agree with legalization and do think it would help. I too agree with changing the way welfare doesn't work.

I also say lets do more infrastructure projects. I just received payment for a job done for a local city that is to be funded by the stim $$$. Udot is back on track with a bunch of stuff and thinking by getting this stuff done quickly they will be in good position for what looks like to be more cash that is/will be available. There is so much of this type of work needed everywhere. I say if the money is available, take it. Out dated sewer, water, power, utility lines, bridges, roads, etc. etc. Lets fix em.

Deathcricket
04-29-2009, 07:11 AM
I read an article a while back that claimed legalizing herb would result in 10 billion+ in policing, eradication, prosecuting, incarcerating cost + the added income for California alone.

I totally agree with legalization and do think it would help. I too agree with changing the way welfare doesn't work.

I also say lets do more infrastructure projects. I just received payment for a job done for a local city that is to be funded by the stim $$$. Udot is back on track with a bunch of stuff and thinking by getting this stuff done quickly they will be in good position for what looks like to be more cash that is/will be available. There is so much of this type of work needed everywhere. I say if the money is available, take it. Out dated sewer, water, power, utility lines, bridges, roads, etc. etc. Lets fix em.

Good post! Totally agree. You know my stance on gov spending, but if the money's there, better spend it before it gets pissed away somewhere else.

:2thumbs: