PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering Camping Spots

DWayne27
04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Is there a standard campground for Escalante canyons? We may head down there this week for the non technical stuff we havent done.

Also, in the Roost, where is this 'Granary Springs' campground?

AJ
04-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Is there a standard campground for Escalante canyons? We may head down there this week for the non technical stuff we havent done.

Also, in the Roost, where is this 'Granary Springs' campground?

I'm not sure about "campground"s. When it's phrased that way, makes it sound official. However, there is a spot just after turning from the Hole In The Rock road onto the Egypt Bench road in Escalante. It's just a flat spot on the left (North) side.

As for Granary Springs, it's also called Motel 6. Granary springs shows up on many maps; it's near the start of Blue John canyon. Most beta for Blue John, including Kelsey's books, gives the location. Again, it's not an established campground or anything; just a flat, open area.

Hope that helps,
A.J.

CarpeyBiggs
04-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Tom has a good map on his website for granary springs:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/201cbluejohn.jpg

In escalante there are plenty of places to camp along hole in the rock road. Depends on where you are going. There are good spots about a mile down the HITR, there are some off the egypt bench road, and pretty much every other side road down there.

DWayne27
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
No- nothing official, just any well known or used spots.

SLCmntjunkie
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
From Wed- Sat I'm planning on camping at the first spot/turnoff on the right (west) once you turn on Hole in the Rock Road if you want to join me or stop by and say hi. I still have that biner of yours I need to get back to you.