PDA

View Full Version : Roost Conditions

AJ
04-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Went to the Roost this past weekend and went down the Squeeze variation of East Blue John, down to the big drop, then back up Main Blue John. Water was waist deep after Squeeze hit the confluence with Main East (i.e. water was in Main East, not Squeeze). There were a couple other spots that were around knee deep. All the water could be avoided with a decent amount of skill and a lot of effort. Most just went through the water.

Lower Main Blue John (down to the big drop) was mostly dry; the water could easily be avoided. Main Blue John was dry.

We also did Alcatraz and Chambers. Alcatraz (North Fork Twin Corral Box Canyon) had water up to knee deep. Again, it could be avoided with a decent amount of skill and a lot of effort; most just went through the water.

Chambers only had a little water, but if you were skilled enough to make it through Chambers, the water was easily avoided.

A few of our group went into West White Roost, and they reported having estimated knee deep water that could be avoided fairly easily.

We didn't take wetsuits in any of the canyons, and only in East Blue John were people even a little chilled (it was snowing that day as well, so that added to it.)

The road to Granary Springs / Motel 6 has definitely deteriorated in the past month. There is now significant washboarding and I'd guess close to 10 dunes that now stretch over some or all of the road - one of which is pretty long. Although, I'd say a medium clearance 2wd driven well could make it in fine.

The road out to Alcatraz is in great shape, and a medium clearance 2wd could make it there as well. The road to White Roost has a few sandy spots, but not long or deep; the same mid-clearance 2wd could make it there as well.

However, the road out to Chambers is fairly rough, with some good vegetation in between the tracks. It also has a few sandy stretches. I'd recommend having HC 4WD for that trailhead. (Or hike in from the White Roost area.)

Hope that helps,
A.J.

davehuth
04-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I'll add that the road to the Hans Flat ranger station is in good shape for 2 wheel drive, sand is starting to accumulate. From Hans Flat out to High Spur or Big Spring is a bit rough, still 2 wheel but some clearance is necessary.

Somehow our group didn't cross paths with anyone in your group, maybe next time...

Iceaxe
04-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Nice conditions report... simple and sweet. :2thumbs: