PDA

View Full Version : Camping near St. George???

Jaxx
04-16-2009, 08:28 AM
We are headed out for camping. We originally planned Goblin Valley but some of the group wanted to head farther south for warmer temps.

I have never camped near St. George other than near Zion. Any primitive spots we could pull a tent trailer into that is secluded. We don't need bathrooms/hookups/tables etc. Actually I would prefer none of those things. Just somewhere to pull in, let the dogs run wild and not worry about the kids making too much noise for the neighbors. I guess I am anti-social.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Jaxx
04-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Wherever we do end up we wanted to go hiking. We are willing to drive to local hiking spots. Snow canyon, Zion, etc.

goofball
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
myabe the virgin river gorge ? there is a developed campground there, but if you turn away from it and go along a graded gravel road there is great potential. lots of joshua trees and big pretty cliffs. it has been awhile since i was down that road, but do not remember anything that stopped teh hyundai. memory is kinda fuzzy tho. i know there are soem people here that are more local and maybe have more info, but that would be a good spot for your anti-social fix. and lots of hiking right there ! in black rock canyon we saw a 12" diameter ammonite fossil. pretty cool.

nelsonccc
04-16-2009, 09:02 PM
We are headed out for camping. We originally planned Goblin Valley but some of the group wanted to head farther south for warmer temps.

I have never camped near St. George other than near Zion. Any primitive spots we could pull a tent trailer into that is secluded. We don't need bathrooms/hookups/tables etc. Actually I would prefer none of those things. Just somewhere to pull in, let the dogs run wild and not worry about the kids making too much noise for the neighbors. I guess I am anti-social.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Tons of options. I camp off the Browse exit all the time. You can drive up the dirt road for a few miles and camp in the trees.

Anywhere on the dirt road between Leeds and St. George near the turkey farm.

Anywhere along the road to Kolob Reservoir.

Literally way too many options.

Jaxx
04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys. we ended up staying just off of black rock rd. in Arizona. It was just a short trip to Snow Canyon. This was a super last minute thing. We had planned on Goblin Valley area and switched the night before so we could get warmer weather. The BLM people in St George were super helpful. TR soon to come.

Plug in the coords in google maps: 36.990921, -113.645877