PDA

View Full Version : LDS Church offers garden tours and tips

DiscGo
04-15-2009, 07:26 AM
LDS Church offers garden tours and tips

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has begun offering public tours of its gardens in downtown Salt Lake City.

The tours run weekly through September, excluding holidays. The schedule is as follows:

LDS Conference Center roof: Monday-Friday at 10 a.m. Meet at Door 15 of the Conference Center.

Church Office Building Plaza: Monday-Friday at noon, Wednesdays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 10:30 a.m. The noon-hour tours will meet inside the south doors of the Church Office Building, while the Wednesday tours will meet outside the south doors of the Church Office Building.

Sunday tours will meet at the east gate of Temple Square.

Private and group tours can be arranged by calling 801-240-5916. Presentations on garden design can also be scheduled at that number.

In addition to the tours, expert horticulturists will be holding one-hour garden talks on Wednesday evenings, beginning in June. The talks will be held at the Brigham Young Historic Park on the southeast corner of State Street and 2nd Avenue.

Talks in June and July will begin at 8 p.m., while talks in August will be at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call 801-240-3323. In case of rain, call 801-240-5916, opt. 2.

The schedule is as follows:

June 3: Backyard Gardens, by Bart Anderson. Find out how to grow vegetables in Utah gardens.

June 10: Raised Beds and Square Foot Gardens, by Kent Mickelsen. Learn to create raised-bed gardens.

June 17: Plants and Long-Term Total Cost, by Fred Liljegren. Determining the life-cycle cost of your landscape.

June 24: Herbs, Herbs, Herbs, by Judy Arnold. Spice up your garden and kitchen with herbs.

July 1: Irrigation in Your Backyard Gardens, by Duane Hatch. Learn the best way to irrigate your garden and what you can still plant for a fall harvest.

July 8: Attracting Birds to Your Gardens, by Darren Hall. What kind of birds do you want to attract in your yard?

July 15: Roses: Queen of the Garden, by Brooke Howland. How and when to prune roses and other important rose info.

July 22: Trees, by Jay Dee Gunnell. Choosing the right trees for your landscape.

July 29: Tasty Berries and Grapes, by Larry Sagers. Find out which grapes and berries flourish in Utah.

Aug. 5: Bulbs, by Peter Lassig. Learn about spring gardens by planting bulbs.

Aug. 12: Shade Gardens for a Woodland Look, by Jim Horrocks. Learn more about ferns and other exotic shade plants.

Aug. 19: Garden Seeds, by Bart Anderson. Learn how to collect and preserve seeds.

Aug. 26: Fruits and Melons, by Jerry Goodspeed. Decide which fruits taste

and grow best in Utah gardens

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/0,5143,705296843,00.html

DiscGo
04-15-2009, 07:27 AM
I am not the best gardener but the LDS Church usually has such beautiful landscaping that I may go to a couple of these.

Don
04-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for posting. Not really my thing, but I just sent the link to Cody who I think will be quite interested.

DiscGo
04-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Not really my thing

Me neither really. When I was a kid my Dad used to make me spend hours and hours working in the garden pulling rocks, picking weeds, rototilling, planting, etc. (and our garden was a mess so it took me forever) and then he'd come home from work each night and water the garden and then talk to other people about how much he enjoyed gardening. I swore off gardening as a child and then did a community garden last year with 2 other friends and my wife. It was fun come fall when we had a ton of vegetables but it was a lot of work. Anyway, I think maybe if I knew more of what I was doing, I may enjoy it more.